What is the deal with telemark skiing?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
GeorgeStevens

Post by GeorgeStevens » Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:49 am

Last edited by GeorgeStevens on Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Re: What is the deal with telemark skiing?

Post by Woodserson » Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:53 am

It's a sport for navel gazing egocentric masochists.

Mostly not joking.

But it's fun. Can be done on all skis, X Country (kind of the weird focus here) and normal skis (most everyone does it with this).

Once you go down this rabbit hole...

Montana St Alum
Ski style: Old dog, new school
Favorite Skis: Blizzard Rustler 9/10
Favorite boots: Tx Pro

Post by Montana St Alum » Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:06 am

Explaining why telemark skiing is enjoyable is about as hard as explaining why alpine skiing is enjoyable. You enjoy alpine skiing, otherwise you wouldn't do it. But, the difference is in the way in which you execute the turn.

There's no reason why you couldn't learn to ski telemark, since much of the mechanics of the turn are the same. It's the differences, of course, that make it particularly entertaining.

If you are in a position to ski fairly regularly and can rent the gear, give it a try.

There are all sorts of videos on how to telemark. Some of the old Urmas Franosch videos are among the best.

If you decide to try it, come back here. There are plenty of skiers who will help.

bauerb

Post by bauerb » Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:17 am

the reason you only see Telemark skiers on Black Diamond runs is that Tele skiers are born that way. its coded into their genetics, which basically guarantees that there are no "beginner" tele skiers.

but in reality, I started XC skiing when I was 4yo. I started ski jumping and alpine skiing at about age 6. I started Tele skiing on XC racing skis at the local downhill ski area. its how we messed around to have fun. it only took about 2 seasons to abandon my alpine gear for good, and never looked back. fast forward about 35 years, and I did buy a pair of skis that allowed my heels to be locked down, but that was only because I wanted the skis for going uphill, and bought an AT setup. on uphill days I like the AT, but on lift-serve downhill days I go Tele.

connyro
needs to take stock of his life
needs to take stock of his life

Post by connyro » Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:29 am

Telemark is just a slightly different way of sliding on snow. Some tele skiers like to make a big deal about it but in reality, it's a versatile and fun method of sliding on snow. It requires no special skills and anyone can learn to do it.

fgd135
Ski style: Yes, sometimes.
Favorite Skis: Most of them
Favorite boots: Boots that fit

Post by fgd135 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:36 am

Free your heels, free your soul, George.
"To me, gracefulness on skis should be the end-all of the sport" --Stein Eriksen

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:20 pm

^^^^^^^^^^^^^, yup!.....Then there is the other side of the dark side....Nordic skinnies doing the deed in the bush....Oh yeah! TM

ᚠᚨᚱ ᚾᛟᚱᚦ ᛊᚲᛁᛖᚱ
Ski style: Mixed xcountry offtrack/bc
Favorite Skis: Asnes NATO BC so far
Favorite boots: Still searching

Post by ᚠᚨᚱ ᚾᛟᚱᚦ ᛊᚲᛁᛖᚱ » Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:35 pm

GeorgeStevens wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:49 am
I've seen poeple telemarking before. They are always on some black diamond run or harder. I see them from the lift on the way to a blue or green run.

The rest of us are out in the woods falling on our faces (or maybe that's just me).
What is the advantage of not having your ankle attached? Are they using longer skis than normal downhill skis? Are they just using a cross country set-up to do the extreme drops I've seen them on?
Not having your heel attached is necessary on XC equipment. The guys you're seeing are doing it because it's fun.
I'm just curious because it looks like a lot of fun, and I wish I was that good. ha
Me too. Also, being on XC equipment that's still capable of negotiating hills is awesome. You can ski anywhere you want (skill level dependent).

joeatomictoad
Ski style: Yes, please.
Favorite Skis: Nordica Enforcer 93; Icelantic Saba Pro 117; 22D HH & Vice
Favorite boots: Scarpa T1

Post by joeatomictoad » Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:15 pm

From a pragmatic point of view, telemarking is just another way to play with gravity and acceleration forces sliding down a mountain.

One called to the siren song of telemarking usually is already an accomplished alpine skier. This is probably why you see them on advanced terrain. Being new to skiing shouldn't hinder you from delving into tele. You may have an easier time learning tele skills than others because you don't have a lot of bad skills to undo... and tele will shine the light on any weak skill. Most will agree that tele skiing improves their alpine skills.

I can't speak for every telemarker, but many were attracted to the pure beauty of the genuflection involved in a tele turn. Some just wanted a new challenge. Some really enjoy being able to tour up the mountain, and ski down the mountain, using the same rig (although Alpine Touring... ¡blasphemy! ...is a major competitor for this very same reason).

It looks like a lot of fun because it is a lot of fun. Tele, alpine, AT, split board, full board, etc... doesn't matter what you do. If it makes you smile, then you're doing something right.

Learning tele is a journey. This community keeps it casual & chill, and will help you without prejudice... although we can't guarantee that you won't be the butt-end of a joke from time to time.

¡Welcome to the tribe!

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:08 pm

Okay George you’re interested. Now google opening ceremonies 1994 Winter Olympics.
I saw it live, I was interested, I’ve been hooked since. What really got me was watching them make Telemark turns down the ski jump.... or maybe the reindeer drawn sleighs

The best opening ceremonies ever!!!