Fischer E-99 getting a makeover/name change?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
fgd135
Ski style: Yes, sometimes.
Favorite Skis: Most of them
Favorite boots: Boots that fit

Re: Fischer E-99 getting a makeover/name change?

Post by fgd135 » Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:31 pm

"To me, gracefulness on skis should be the end-all of the sport" --Stein Eriksen

Nitram Tocrut
Ski style: Backyard XC skiing if that is a thing
Favorite Skis: Sverdrup and MT51
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska NNNBC

Post by Nitram Tocrut » Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:55 am

I just wonder if "old farts" had the same reaction when Fischer changed the name from Europa 99 to E99.. :lol: . I am an "old fart" that is already through is 3rd pair of Europa 99... so I am not too affected by the change of name ;)

Bad joke apart... I don't get why corporations take such decisions that upset a small number of people in a niche market... I guess for someone not already into BC XC skiing, reading Transnordic is more evocative than E99... just saying... So I guess Fischer knew that changing the name of an icon ski would cause much turmoil in forum like TTalk but maybe have a positive impact on their sale of skis...

I am not trying to defend their decision... just trying to rationalize it ;)

fgd135
Ski style: Yes, sometimes.
Favorite Skis: Most of them
Favorite boots: Boots that fit

Post by fgd135 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:23 am

I don't think Fischer actually cares what skiers think that already own Europa 99's or E99's. They're a business trying to compete in a crowded marketplace for the limited numbers of new skiers who might be entering the sport, or changing their skiing styles for the first time, say, out of set tracks and into the woods, and are younger, and have no preconceptions of what a ski should be named...
"To me, gracefulness on skis should be the end-all of the sport" --Stein Eriksen

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:53 am

Best selling ski of all time,,,,,Does everything! Up down and all around....99's loved Tucks....Love powder....love S turns.....Love dips and exploding out of them....Double camber makes them better....I mean they even got a young woman to lift her shirt in praise....Lucky skis up at Tucks....Can do anything....go anywhere....The longer you can deal with the better.....99's forever! Teleman

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:29 am

fgd135 wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:23 am
I don't think Fischer actually cares what skiers think that already own Europa 99's or E99's. They're a business trying to compete in a crowded marketplace for the limited numbers of new skiers who might be entering the sport, or changing their skiing styles for the first time, say, out of set tracks and into the woods, and are younger, and have no preconceptions of what a ski should be named...
Yes, the 99 didn't align with the naming scheme of any of their other skis with the shovel width in the name, so this brings it in line with the rest. That being said... there's a lot to be said for institutional knowledge and if someone new to the sport is going get a pair of these skis, an internet search is going to be in order. Fischer could easily say, this is the redesigned E99, or some shit also, to draw the link but they are harping it as if it's a new ski.

I have a vewy good fwend in Wome who skis E99s

Woodserson

Post by Woodserson » Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:33 am

Nitram Tocrut wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:55 am

Fischer
You are giving Fischer too much credit. The website fiascos alone makes it pretty clear they don't know how to publicize their stuff. I'm upset at the loss of potential. They are one of the few companies making decent XC gear. They could be so much more, and it wouldn't take much effort or money on their part.

Tele kid
Ski style: Old school Nordic telemark
Favorite Skis: Fisher E-99's
Favorite boots: Andrews North rim

Post by Tele kid » Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:59 pm

Last year or so I bought the new E-99 ultra light Fisher skis. Leather boots (alico slippers) and Super rottafella bindings. Not sure yet about the damn "nordic rocker" Makes breaking a trail awful unless you use the EZ skin. It was cheaper than the crown. Think I should have spent the $ and gotten the real deal. If they are discontinuing the E-99 crown I'd better pick up a pair!!

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:37 pm

Tele kid wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:59 pm
Last year or so I bought the new E-99 ultra light Fisher skis. Leather boots (alico slippers) and Super rottafella bindings. Not sure yet about the damn "nordic rocker" Makes breaking a trail awful unless you use the EZ skin. It was cheaper than the crown. Think I should have spent the $ and gotten the real deal. If they are discontinuing the E-99 crown I'd better pick up a pair!!
Telekid I don’t think you would be disappointed if you tried a Gamme

Woodserson

Post by Woodserson » Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:08 pm

Tele kid wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:59 pm
Not sure yet about the damn "nordic rocker" Makes breaking a trail awful unless you use the EZ skin. It was cheaper than the crown. Think I should have spent the $ and gotten the real deal. If they are discontinuing the E-99 crown I'd better pick up a pair!!
Yeah you not alone. The floppier tip combined with NR isn't the best for trail breaking. The Crown will be the same.

Fish ain't wrong the Gamme has a stiffer shovel with some rocker. Better. No rocker for trailbreaking is best, but then less schmearability. Depends on what you want.

Tele kid
Ski style: Old school Nordic telemark
Favorite Skis: Fisher E-99's
Favorite boots: Andrews North rim

Post by Tele kid » Sat Aug 07, 2021 11:47 am

Seems like Nordic rocker fights or contradicts double camber. Waiting for more ideal powder days to tell for sure. Definitely prefer climbing wax over fish scales or skins, although both have their place.