skis for 70+ and cautious

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
stilltryin
Ski style: Wandering the untracked (by humans)
Favorite Skis: Voile V6 BC; Karhu XCD/GT
Favorite boots: Scarpa T3; Alpina Alaska NNN-BC

skis for 70+ and cautious

Post by stilltryin » Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:02 pm

A friend (really!) is 70+ and not especially stable/balanced (physically for currrent purposes). He is relatively new to skiing and pokes around in the backcountry (flats and hills). He has late model Karhu XCD/GTs (like the Madshus Eon) that he skis with T4s because he feels more stable and in control with those boots. (This set up works reasonably well for him in set track).
He is looking for even more stability, so I am suggesting skis that would be in the next width category that would also have less camber (like the old 10th Mountains).
I'm thinking Rossi BC 100, Fischer S-bound 98, Madshus Panorama m68.
Oh, he also has a pair of Hoks that he really likes (stable platform and slows him down on the down), but sometimes you actually want to ski and cover some ground.

First, am I offering reasonable advice?
Second, any reason to think one of those three choices would be more suitable?
(e.g. Rossi has less sidecut which might make them less twitchy going straight, but harder to turn on the gentle down, hm?).
I'm also thinking to maybe recommend going a size down in length.

BTW, I also suggested lessons.

Montana St Alum
Ski style: Old dog, new school
Favorite Skis: Blizzard Rustler 9/10
Favorite boots: Tx Pro

Re: skis for 70+ and cautious

Post by Montana St Alum » Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:19 pm

Interesting. I was going to suggest the Altai Hoks. Do they not work for him? Is he using them with the universal bindings or with 3 pins?
Regardless, your advice on going up a bit on width seems fine to me.
Do you think the Fischer 112 would just be too wide? With the extra width, you could decrease length a bit, I'd guess.

RabbitEars
Ski style: Tipsy Moose
Favorite Skis: Asnes Kongsvold (SB 98s demoted)
Favorite boots: Maybe the Alaska

Post by RabbitEars » Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:30 pm

I was not a fan of the Rossi's BC line up for the very reason that it seemed like they slipped too much. I think the S-bound 98 would be a great ski especially with the easy skin. The waxless pattern is better and grippy'er and the easy skin could be added for the uphill and down to add more stability when desired. I know they aren't favored for the K&G but I feel like I have been able to scoot along just fine with them. SB98 have my my vote.

stilltryin

Post by stilltryin » Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:04 pm

Montana St Alum wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:19 pm
Interesting. I was going to suggest the Altai Hoks. Do they not work for him? Is he using them with the universal bindings or with 3 pins?
Regardless, your advice on going up a bit on width seems fine to me.
Do you think the Fischer 112 would just be too wide? With the extra width, you could decrease length a bit, I'd guess.
Thanks.
Hoks w/T4 works, but not so great if ski partners are on actual skis.
Regarding Fischer 112, I did send him links to 4 skis: the three mentioned and the Fischer 112. I suppose I was now thinking wider=heavier (when would he not be able to control them w/T4 via 3-pin or just get tired faster?) -- but I did not actually check the weights and consider downsizing with the wider ski (they don't always tell you weight by length) -- good suggestion to consider more carefully.

Edit: per REI, Fischer 112 is 14oz/pair heavier than 98 -- 7oz per ski -- not too bad.
Last edited by stilltryin on Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stilltryin

Post by stilltryin » Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:12 pm

RabbitEars wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:30 pm
I was not a fan of the Rossi's BC line up for the very reason that it seemed like they slipped too much. I think the S-bound 98 would be a great ski especially with the easy skin. The waxless pattern is better and grippy'er and the easy skin could be added for the uphill and down to add more stability when desired. I know they aren't favored for the K&G but I feel like I have been able to scoot along just fine with them. SB98 have my my vote.
Thanks.
Yeah, slipping too much would not be good!
Not being the best for K&G is not a priority; we're in "shuffle plus" territory.
I did say he could borrow my Boundless Crowns to get something of a sense for that category and also my Koms -- but he might just be in a buying mood! -- if you can't ski yet, shop!

Shenanagains

Post by Shenanagains » Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:50 pm

For the person in question, the most controllable skis on the market and the safest, most controllable boots and bindings are called for.

Any of Voile's fishscale skis, with tech bindings and boots in the F1 class would fill those blanks best.

I know, it isn't Tele, and it isn't XC either. It is what would serve the needs best though.

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:29 pm

I was thinking if he likes his Hoks get some Koms. If I recall the h
Hoks are shorter with a built in skin and very slow. The Koms should go fast enough for an old guy. The Voiles would also be something to consider.

phoenix
Ski style: My own
Favorite Skis: Varies,I've had many favorites
Favorite boots: Excursions, T1's

Post by phoenix » Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:41 am

Friends don't let friends buy Rossi BC's. I'd go Voile Objective BC's or Altai Kom's, with an easy flexing cable binding. 3 pin cable would be a good option.

Montana St Alum
Ski style: Old dog, new school
Favorite Skis: Blizzard Rustler 9/10
Favorite boots: Tx Pro

Post by Montana St Alum » Sat Oct 09, 2021 12:14 pm

I'm not quite 70+ (at age 69) but if I were to get some equipment in this category, for the Wasatch Back/Uintas, I'd go wider/shorter for sure.
Whereabouts is this person located?

stilltryin

Post by stilltryin » Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:22 pm

Thanks all for the suggestions.
Montana St Alum wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 12:14 pm
I'm not quite 70+ (at age 69) but if I were to get some equipment in this category, for the Wasatch Back/Uintas, I'd go wider/shorter for sure.
Whereabouts is this person located?
Tetons, but just in the hills. Even in the untracked flats, going wider than his XCD/GTs should be helpful for float and stable platform I think.