Preferred clothing?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
johnnycanuck
Ski style: BC XC

Re: Preferred clothing?

Post by johnnycanuck » Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:49 pm

Woodserson wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:10 am
Good conversations in the same vein

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3763

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2282
Great, thanks for the threads - I'll dive in
Woodserson wrote:
Lots of great advice. Pay attention to Bregoire's posts as he has done a significant amount of long distance touring in very cold temps, and you are way north, right?
My fellow Canadians would roll their eyes if I referred to south-eastern Ontario as way north, but I'm definitely north of the US :lol:

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:11 pm

Woodserson wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:08 pm

LL Bean has been pretty icognito. Smartwool too. Both have little logos in relatively inconspicuous spots. I think you could scrape off the Bean logo.

I miss Ibex terribly. Those guys made stuff for tall skinny people.
Thank you Woods, I’ll check out LL Bean. It’s not the logo I’m concerned with, it’s just the cost associated with the logo. I had a supplier give me some Under Amour 3/4 zips last winter. They are nice, but I didn’t notice them really performing better than my no brand stuff.

Nitram Tocrut
Ski style: Backyard XC skiing if that is a thing
Favorite Skis: Sverdrup and MT51
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska NNNBC

Post by Nitram Tocrut » Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:28 pm

Woodserson wrote:
Lots of great advice. Pay attention to Bregoire's posts as he has done a significant amount of long distance touring in very cold temps, and you are way north, right?
My fellow Canadians would roll their eyes if I referred to south-eastern Ontario as way north, but I'm definitely north of the US :lol:
[/quote]
@johnnycanuck you are actually way south for us… so south that we suspect the only snow you get to ski is the snow pile left by the Zamboni at your local ice rink :D And actually, you are probably not north of Woods and all those guys from the Northeastern states ;)

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:07 pm

fisheater wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:11 pm
Woodserson wrote:

LL Bean has been pretty icognito. Smartwool too. Both have little logos in relatively inconspicuous spots. I think you could scrape off the Bean logo.

I miss Ibex terribly. Those guys made stuff for tall skinny people.
Thank you Woods, I’ll check out LL Bean. It’s not the logo I’m concerned with, it’s just the cost associated with the logo. I had a supplier give me some Under Amour 3/4 zips last winter. They are nice, but I didn’t notice them really performing better than my no brand stuff.
Oh hell, if the have no brand stuff that works stick with that. I have a Bean Outlet near me where I pinch returned/seconds stuff for cheaper

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:07 pm

johnnycanuck wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:49 pm
Woodserson wrote:
Good conversations in the same vein

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3763

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2282
Great, thanks for the threads - I'll dive in
Woodserson wrote:
Thought you were in Alberta, carry on!

fgd135
Ski style: Yes, sometimes.
Favorite Skis: Most of them
Favorite boots: Boots that fit

Post by fgd135 » Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:29 pm

Woodserson wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:07 pm

It’s not the logo I’m concerned with, it’s just the cost associated with the logo. ...I didn’t notice them really performing better than my no brand stuff.
...if the have no brand stuff that works stick with that.
Totally agree, I do most of my outdoor gear and clothing purchases at outlets like Campmor and Sierra Trading Post...even skis, sometimes. Why pay $85 for a Patagucci zip tneck when a generic of the same material is less than half the price? Logos impress no one, it's skill that counts...and staying warm.
"To me, gracefulness on skis should be the end-all of the sport" --Stein Eriksen

RabbitEars
Ski style: Tipsy Moose
Favorite Skis: Asnes Kongsvold (SB 98s demoted)
Favorite boots: Maybe the Alaska

Post by RabbitEars » Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:49 pm

My favorite Base-layer: https://www.terramarsports.com/products ... -wool-crew
Comes in lots of sizes. I don’t like skin tight base layers so I buy them big and I love that this brand does tall sizing.

Mid layer: Patagonia R1 pullover.(a “logo” but go on sale all the time) I would wear just this and my base-layer down into the teens (Fahrenheit). Warm enough once you get moving and breaths really well.
https://www.patagonia.com/product/mens- ... 40110.html

outer-layer: basically I wear a rain jacket. I would mainly use this as a wind barrier and could get me down into the single digits.

gloves: my hands get pretty warm when I'm moving so I usually wear something light like https://www.smartwool.com/shop/liner-gl ... tionId=545
and if it gets a little cold or windy I add a wind barrier mitten like runners use.
https://www.rei.com/rei-garage/product/ ... tx-mittens

I would also keep a puffy coat in my pack for when I was stopped for a break or lunch.

I don't like to wear anything that looks "space-age" or futuristic out in nature. I try to find items that just look classic and can be worn in any place or situation without looking out of place.

I would love to find a wool Nordic sweater with some nice colors/patterns but I haven't been able to find any in the states.
Also has anyone found a hat or cap they like that is protective/warm but doesn't get to sweaty when working?
Last edited by RabbitEars on Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:35 pm, edited 4 times in total.

The GCW
Ski style: Alpine, Alpine B.C. Nordic B.C.

Post by The GCW » Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:52 pm

With many interests including but not limited to Cycling, in-bounds Alpine skiing, Back Country Alpine skiing incorporating skinning / hiking & skiing, Back country Nordic skiing, Hockey, Fly Fishing, I have a lot of carry over clothing options.

I tend to steer away from crew neck tops during high efforts because of the inability to open a zippered vent, but they tend to work for cycling base layers.

I't's difficult to say what I wear for that changes not only daily but the different times of daily, seasonally, on and on...

*As someone else mentioned: start out a bit feeling cold knowing You'll warm into the occasion. If You're out enough You get hip to that pretty quick and avoid being lazy about adjusting layers.

*When I'm skinning up a mountain (like A-Basin), I don't want to stop to adjust layers so I attempt to get the clothing right in order to move line an animal. A regular He-Man.

As a cyclist, I love this (below); it is something worth sharing.

There is a certain pleasure to be found in kitting up perfectly for the day’s ride. We deliberate over the temperature, the wind, the likelihood of rain. We lay out our options like a Valet for his nobleman, we may even take a step outside and reconsider our choices. Returning from the ride many hours later, we allow a wry smile to creep across our faces in the knowledge that we nailed our kit today.

エイダン.シダル

Post by エイダン.シダル » Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:41 pm

CoreyLayton wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:50 pm
The key to "softshell" is to select products *without* any internal membrane (like Goretex "windstopper", "infinium", etc) because they just don't breath well enough (for xc purposes).
I couldn't agree more! And they've put membranes in almost everything. I've got an almost thirty year old Schoeller fabric jacket I'm desperate to get a replacement for, before more zippers fail on it. I'm almost ready to get my outer layers in fine woolen twill.

joeatomictoad
Ski style: Yes, please.
Favorite Skis: Nordica Enforcer 93; Icelantic Saba Pro 117; 22D HH & Vice
Favorite boots: Scarpa T1

Post by joeatomictoad » Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:10 am

Woodserson wrote:
LL Bean has been pretty icognito.
I'm still sore about LL Bean changing their warranty. Haven't purchased anything since out of spite. Any changes in quality, or still good stuff?