Alternatives before buying Alaskas

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
jyw5

Re: Alternatives before buying Alaskas

Post by jyw5 » Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:41 pm

I have Alfa Quest Core size 42 and it fits like a glove once broken in. I have the canadian Chenna Barree wool insoles in them. because they are soft (not stiff), I can use a wide variety/thickness of hiking socks (smartwool, rei brand, wright, etc)

My Alfa Guard is size 41. due to the wide heel, i cut a very thin insole in half and put the heel part inside then have the thick wool Chenna Barree over it. it works very well. I have a very wide forefoot/last and narrow heel. I had to use some moleskin on my heels initially, but now they are broken and in and lace up tight with no heel rub.
I have to use a very specific thickness (medium) of sock... I use the smartwool medium weight.

John Dee

Post by John Dee » Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:55 pm

The Guards are on my feet with two pairs of normal socks. The only possible issue is that they seem to push my big toe inward a little bit. Its slight, but enough so they are a little tingly. I guess that some people have spade shaped feet. Other than that, I think it will work, maybe with an insole.

I have wide feet. I don't order wide sizes, but I find companies that trend wide.

My uneducated opinion is that they are a remarkable design for flexing in the mid section while feeling stable and controllable. I'm sure that diagonal stride will be much more pleasant in them. But the Alaskas were a remarkably good fit out of the box.

John Dee

Post by John Dee » Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:07 pm

I want to be breaking these boots in. But they just aren't that fun to wear. Conversely, my Alico Ski March boots arrived at the same time, and I have been wearing them quite regularly. They might a tad long, but its hard to tell since I don't have a 3 pin binding yet.

My point is that the Alfa Guards are just a little odd. They are excessively roomy, but then have a spade-shaped toe box that pushes my big toe inward a bit. I'm not sure who these boots were made for. Problems in the front of the boot usually go away when I attach them to the ski and start kicking.

They are a unique construction with a lot of space and padding inserted in specific places. This seems to be different than a traditional leather boot that just shapes to your foot. I don't have a lot of experience with new leather boots, maybe they will break in fine. My only point is that I enjoy putting these brand new Alico's on and wearing them around, while I look forward to taking these off after a half hour.

Right now, I am wearing them with the grey Alico insoles that came with that boot, the Alfa insole, and a very heavy sock. I get some minor arch pain from what I think is flatter footwear, and these will need aftermarket insoles to deal with that.

These boots are very different. I'm not sure if they will be comfortable yet. They are definitely high volume. I have wide feet, but I'd never thought about volume until reading about this boot on this forum. I'm a skinny person so it makes since that my feet aren't high volume.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:17 pm

Well the Alfa Guard (and every other Alfa boot I have tried on) are enourmous inside.

I would suggest that if the boot is pushing your big-toe "in", they are probably too short.

I have small-volume feet, but can get an excellent, custom fit with a thick wool insole.

The Ski March boots are beasts- very heavy and very stiff- while I love them, I am afraid my pair are just too wide for me feet. I have a size 8UK- they are too wide and too short for my small-volume feet.

I really wanted the Ski March to work for me...Perhaps if I had been able to order a narrower last...
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

John Dee

Post by John Dee » Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:30 pm

I thought that I had a solution for the Guards: Grey Ski March insole, Alfa insole, and the thickest sock I can find. But when I skiied last night on my frozen lawn I realized that the front will probably be too roomy for power transfer to the ski. I can tighten the laces up good (removed that Goretex emblem), but I can't change the volume forward of the laces. I can't seem to fill the front and have enough room for the side of my big toe. I'm surprised that no one else has had an issue with the pointiness of the toe box despite the overall width.

I had the idea of wearing a normal sock, plus a thick sock with the big toe corner cut off.

I'm not going to draw any conclusions yet. The boot shape does seem odd, though.

I can't find much any info on the Asolo Snowfields. They look cheaply made, but I'm curious how they compare to the Alaska BC.

stilltryin
Ski style: Wandering the untracked (by humans)
Favorite Skis: Voile V6 BC; Karhu XCD/GT
Favorite boots: Scarpa T3; Alpina Alaska NNN-BC

Post by stilltryin » Sat Nov 06, 2021 12:53 pm

Video from Fischer; Transnordic about 3 minutes in; suggest 90mm ski.
https://en.aventurenordique.com/fischer ... proof.html

Edit: see the one review here:
https://www.skiessentials.com/2022-fisc ... 22403&520=

Nitram Tocrut
Ski style: Backyard XC skiing if that is a thing
Favorite Skis: Sverdrup and MT51
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska NNNBC

Post by Nitram Tocrut » Sat Nov 06, 2021 5:41 pm

stilltryin wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 12:53 pm
Video from Fischer; Transnordic about 3 minutes in; suggest 90mm ski.
https://en.aventurenordique.com/fischer ... proof.html

Edit: see the one review here:
https://www.skiessentials.com/2022-fisc ... 22403&520=
Not so much of a review… it only says the heel strap broke while trying them :shock: Don’t think we will get a real life review from this customer :lol:

Thanks anyway… will try a pair tomorrow… will sure check the heel strap :o

stilltryin
Ski style: Wandering the untracked (by humans)
Favorite Skis: Voile V6 BC; Karhu XCD/GT
Favorite boots: Scarpa T3; Alpina Alaska NNN-BC

Post by stilltryin » Sat Nov 06, 2021 5:52 pm

Nitram Tocrut wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 5:41 pm
...will sure check the heel strap :o
Don't check it too aggressively!

Nitram Tocrut
Ski style: Backyard XC skiing if that is a thing
Favorite Skis: Sverdrup and MT51
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska NNNBC

Post by Nitram Tocrut » Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:35 pm

stilltryin wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 5:52 pm
Nitram Tocrut wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 5:41 pm
...will sure check the heel strap :o
Don't check it too aggressively!
I actuall tried them in the store today and I think the heel strap is useless ci side ring how stiff the boots are… but I tried to and they survived ;)

riel
Ski style: BC XC
Favorite Skis: Asnes Gamme, Ingstad & Støretind, Fischer Mountain Cross & E99
Favorite boots: Fischer BCX675

Post by riel » Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:47 pm

Nitram Tocrut wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:35 pm
I actuall tried them in the store today and I think the heel strap is useless ci side ring how stiff the boots are… but I tried to and they survived ;)
How does the stiffness of the Fischer Transnordic compare to that of the Alpina Alaska?

Is the lacing in the Fischer Transnordic enough to prevent (most) heel lift, given how stiff the sole is?