Bindings for Asnes Rabb 68

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
telerat
Ski style: Telemark, backcountry nordic and cross country skiing.
Favorite Skis: Any ski suitable for telemark or backcountry skiing, with some side-cut for turning.
Favorite boots: Scarpa plastic telemark. Asolo and Alfa leather boots.

Re: Bindings for Asnes Rabb 68

Post by telerat » Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:17 pm

lilcliffy wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:07 pm
Do you think that the Xplore binding will work in a groomed Classic track?
I'll see, Xplore looks better than 75 mm at least. The tracks I'll be skiing in are not for training/racing, but more for touring so they aren't the most narrow and deep.

athabascae
Favorite Skis: Asnes MR48; Asnes Ingstad
Favorite boots: Alpina Traverse BC; Alpina Alaska BC

Post by athabascae » Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:30 pm

Has anyone here put nnn bc magnum on a Rabb 68 or is that a dumb idea?

Stephen
Ski style: Aspirational
Favorite Skis: Armada Tracer 118 (195), Gamme (210), Ingstad (205), Objective BC (178)
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance, Scarpa TX Pro
6’3” / 191cm — 172# / 78kg, size 47 / 30 mondo

Post by Stephen » Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:01 am

I put NNN BC on Voile Objective and have had fun with it.
That is a wider ski than the Rabb 68.

Seems workable to me, depending on the application.
You won’t be able to access the full capabilities of the ski, but as long as you can accept that, it might be good.

Part of the trick of understanding the Asnes skis is being able to really read between the line of Asnes’ descriptions for their skis.
Really read what they say and try to pull as much meaning as possible out of the broad story they paint for each ski. The truth is buried in the story.
https://www.en.asnes.com/produkt/rabb-68/

“The Rabb 68 is a nimble ski occupying a middle ground between back country and alpine touring – a ski for Telemark enthusiast and the weight-focused slope hunter alike.

The ski is constructed with a responsive poplar core reinforced with carbon for optimum torsional stiffness and a width optimized for the demands both of ascent and descent.

Rockered and tapered, and with a pronounced sidecut to ensure swift and stable descents in all conditions, the Rabb 68’s sidecut makes it perfect for agile turns – the 180cm ski has a turning radius of 17.2 meters.

Weapon of choice of long touring adventures with a 75mm or tech binding, this is a ski for experienced mountaineers prepared to travel as far as it takes to find a slope, even in demanding terrain.”

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:22 pm

athabascae wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:30 pm
Has anyone here put nnn bc magnum on a Rabb 68 or is that a dumb idea?
👍😎
I think it is a great idea- especially if you have a lot of moderate open slopes to ski down.
The issue is not NNNBC- it is the limitations of the NNNBC boots available.
Most of my downhill skiing is pretty tight-
The advantage of 75mm is being able to wear a true Telemark boot when the conditions are not ideal.
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

エイダン.シダル

Post by エイダン.シダル » Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:59 am

Is anybody running a cable 75mm binding on Rabbs, happily? I'm thinking my Alico Snow March boots on them at first, maybe Scarpa T4s to follow. Anyone run Voile Hardwires with Snow March boots? They're pretty hefty...

It's my next desired ski, next year: have Gammes (NNN BC), S Bound Outabounds 88s (Voile Cable Telemark), about 20mm apart at the tips. So the Rabb would be the next 20mm wider, more capable for Telemark turns.

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:07 pm

エイダン.シダル wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:59 am
Is anybody running a cable 75mm binding on Rabbs, happily? I'm thinking my Alico Snow March boots on them at first, maybe Scarpa T4s to follow. Anyone run Voile Hardwires with Snow March boots? They're pretty hefty...

It's my next desired ski, next year: have Gammes (NNN BC), S Bound Outabounds 88s (Voile Cable Telemark), about 20mm apart at the tips. So the Rabb would be the next 20mm wider, more capable for Telemark turns.
Yes, my Rabbs are running Voile 3pin cable with 10mm riser. Good combo. Though lately I've ditched the cable entirely.

エイダン.シダル

Post by エイダン.シダル » Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:25 pm

Cheers, Woodserson.

Um... how many skis do you own? You've got an answer from experience, for every question.

riel
Ski style: BC XC
Favorite Skis: Asnes Gamme, Ingstad & Støretind, Fischer Mountain Cross & E99
Favorite boots: Fischer BCX675

Post by riel » Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:47 pm

エイダン.シダル wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:25 pm
Cheers, Woodserson.

Um... how many skis do you own? You've got an answer from experience, for every question.
His "corner of excellence" has everything except Rossignol ;)

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:01 pm

FT 62 with 3-pin cable mounted flat on the ski. Boots are Ski March and Alaska 75, depending upon conditions and terrain. Cables spend most of their time in my pack, but I like the fact that they’re there if I want them!

エイダン.シダル

Post by エイダン.シダル » Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:49 pm

fisheater wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:01 pm
FT 62 with 3-pin cable mounted flat on the ski. Boots are Ski March and Alaska 75, depending upon conditions and terrain. Cables spend most of their time in my pack, but I like the fact that they’re there if I want them!
Interesting. Kind of supports my thinking with wider Rabbs: cable bindings, Ski March or T4 boots. I've got a youth of alpine skiing, adulthood of Nordic, looking to put the best of both together in xcD/light-Telemark in Ontario and Québec.