Sbound 98s or 112s

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
jyw5

Re: Sbound 98s or 112s

Post by jyw5 » Sat Nov 06, 2021 1:40 am

Haha! I am late to this thread...been very busy with work and also trying to make my ski goals for the yr...im a bit behind!

for some stats:
I'm 5ft8in, 135-150lbs and usually carry an average of 15lbs. I have the S112 169cm, NNNBC and the S125 165cm with old Silvretta bindings. I use alfa leather boots with the S112 and mountaineering boots with the S125.

The S112 is a good all around ski for good conditions. They are horrible when the snow is boiler plate (windblown crust) and equally horrible in breakable crust and bottomless snow. They are very very slow on flat terrain because of the lack of camber and the fish scales. I enjoy them the most for early and late season skiing when the snow is new or soft on a firm base. They excel on corn snow...I'm able to ski down 30 degree angle slopes or possibly steeper.

When conditions are tough, I recommend using the mixed mohair EZ skins up and down. Skins will slow you down but reduce risk. I don't know what type of terrain you ski....but here in Alaska it's pretty unforgiving, so I almost always leave the skins on the whole day.

The S125 is the perfect mountaineering ski. Using a slightly shorter length of 165cm, its nice and wide. I use wall to wall full skins (again almost 100% of time unless the snow is perfect). Someday, I would like to use the S125 for big mountains around the world. Fischer sadly discontinued these...probably because too few ppl know what to do with them.

My only gripe about the S112 is the drag with the scales and the lack of camber. There are some days I wish it just didn't have them...I would just use wax and skins. Many times, the S112 is like a giant snowshoe, however, I have found that I can ski all 12 months in AK with them because they are truly versatile...they are the jack of all trades, master of none.

If you get the S112, get two different widths for the ez skins if you can. You will need wider skins for steeper skiing and more difficult terrain. I also apply wax to the skis and skins (there is alot of discussion on this site too...thanks to @fisheater @lilcliffy @woodserson et al for this)

Search for my photos and comments regarding my experience with the S112. I have put alot of time on them. My general philosophy of this style of skiing is free heeling with nonrigid/not plastic boots. If I wanted plastic boots, AT and a downhill ski is more practical. Leather is all you need for gentle/moderate angled terrain. And when the conditions suck, use skins...leather boots also forces you to have better form and better balance.

Have fun!

PS... going skiing tomorrow! its 1/2" on a boiler plate hard base...taking my Asnes Skogs...wife is using my MT51. Only skiing gentle angled amd flat groomers. These conditions would be bad for the S112.

Hhowden

Post by Hhowden » Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:07 am

Stephen wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 4:11 am
I don’t know how the Sbound 112 and the Voile Objective compare, but the Objective is a slightly wider ski, and I ski that with NNN BC and ALFA Guards, and am pretty happy with that setup.
At the same time, a plastic boot and more robust binding would offer more control, at the cost of lightness and sense of freedom.
I think if one just wants to explore the backcountry, NNN BC and leathers are an ok choice.
If one wants to use the setup as an “earn your turns” XCD setup, plastic boots and a beefier binding probably makes more sense.
I haven't bought the boots or bindings yet so I'm thinking going with 3pin seems to be the consensus with a heavier boot such as ALFA or Alpina Alaskas. I will be doing more of exploring the bc, so if there's not much of a difference I might as well go 3 pin so I'm ready for more stiff boots if I want to xcd.

Hhowden

Post by Hhowden » Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:11 am

jyw5 wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 1:40 am
Haha! I am late to this thread...been very busy with work and also trying to make my ski goals for the yr...im a bit behind!

for some stats:
I'm 5ft8in, 135-150lbs and usually carry an average of 15lbs. I have the S112 169cm, NNNBC and the S125 165cm with old Silvretta bindings. I use alfa leather boots with the S112 and mountaineering boots with the S125.

The S112 is a good all around ski for good conditions. They are horrible when the snow is boiler plate (windblown crust) and equally horrible in breakable crust and bottomless snow. They are very very slow on flat terrain because of the lack of camber and the fish scales. I enjoy them the most for early and late season skiing when the snow is new or soft on a firm base. They excel on corn snow...I'm able to ski down 30 degree angle slopes or possibly steeper.

When conditions are tough, I recommend using the mixed mohair EZ skins up and down. Skins will slow you down but reduce risk. I don't know what type of terrain you ski....but here in Alaska it's pretty unforgiving, so I almost always leave the skins on the whole day.

The S125 is the perfect mountaineering ski. Using a slightly shorter length of 165cm, its nice and wide. I use wall to wall full skins (again almost 100% of time unless the snow is perfect). Someday, I would like to use the S125 for big mountains around the world. Fischer sadly discontinued these...probably because too few ppl know what to do with them.

My only gripe about the S112 is the drag with the scales and the lack of camber. There are some days I wish it just didn't have them...I would just use wax and skins. Many times, the S112 is like a giant snowshoe, however, I have found that I can ski all 12 months in AK with them because they are truly versatile...they are the jack of all trades, master of none.

If you get the S112, get two different widths for the ez skins if you can. You will need wider skins for steeper skiing and more difficult terrain. I also apply wax to the skis and skins (there is alot of discussion on this site too...thanks to @fisheater @lilcliffy @woodserson et al for this)

Search for my photos and comments regarding my experience with the S112. I have put alot of time on them. My general philosophy of this style of skiing is free heeling with nonrigid/not plastic boots. If I wanted plastic boots, AT and a downhill ski is more practical. Leather is all you need for gentle/moderate angled terrain. And when the conditions suck, use skins...leather boots also forces you to have better form and better balance.

Have fun!

PS... going skiing tomorrow! its 1/2" on a boiler plate hard base...taking my Asnes Skogs...wife is using my MT51. Only skiing gentle angled amd flat groomers. These conditions would be bad for the S112.
Thank you so much for the great write up! I'm going to check out the skins as well as your pics and posts. Hope y'all had fun skiing the other day!

RabbitEars
Ski style: Tipsy Moose
Favorite Skis: Asnes Kongsvold (SB 98s demoted)
Favorite boots: Maybe the Alaska

Post by RabbitEars » Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:31 pm

@Hhowden
I'm 6'2" and same weight. I have the Sbound 98's in the 189 length. I have spent a lot of time on them and they work great for me. once I figured out how to weight myself over the fishscales I feel like I can climb anything until it gets icy then I just put on the easyskin and I am on my way again. I've considered getting the 112 because at my weight I think that the 112 would ski down better on the really low angle stuff. But I worry about the 112 compromising the kick and glide that I love. I bought the 205 Asnes Ingstad to add to my quiver this season hoping it's strengths pick up where the 98's leave off. I think if I am going to get a wider ski I am just going to get a more downhill oriented ski like the Volie Objective or the Rabb 68

Hhowden

Post by Hhowden » Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:54 pm

Tom M wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:51 am
@Hhowden and @Stephen Wow, I think you found the deal of the month. That is an amazing price for the Sbound 112, and based on the description, it is the 2021/2022 version with lighter weight core, 2400 grams for the 179. If I recall, my old 98's are 2490 grams, so they should be just as much fun. Fischer also has a new boot this season, the transnordic. I haven't seen these boots in the flesh, but they look interesting, are reasonably priced, and might be worth investigating, since it appears that Alfa may have stopped producing the Greenland. The Greenlands are still listed on Alfa's website, but they have no sizes available, so it makes me wonder. Here is one of the few places I've found that has the transnordic in stock https://www.backcountry.com/Store/catal ... ransnordic
@Hhowden mentioned the Alpina Alaska and they seem readily available, but it would be interesting to compare the Transnordic with the Alaska side by side for flex and lateral support. I skied the SB 125's with soft boots, the Fischer BCX 625's, and when they wore out, the Rossignol BCX 12's, so a sturdy leather boot and the 112's would be just fine. I no longer have the SB 125's, they found a new home in the Black Hills of South Dakota after I picked up a set of Voile Objectives. @jyw5 skis a set of SB 112 with leathers and I'm surprised he hasn't chimed in on this thread. He is probably too busy skiing the great snow at Hatchers while I wait for winter to come down the mountain. :D At any rate, I'm glad you were able to find a pair of 112's at 189 cm. Let us all know how they work out, post some photos, and maybe our paths will cross this winter.
Those boots look great to me honestly. I may have to give them a try since I haven't actually ordered any yet. BTW the Wind River Lake cam on WYO Roadcams looks pretty good today! Hope to run across you one day, I owe you a beer or diet coke for the help.

Tom M
Ski style: Skate on Groomed, XCD Off, Backcountry Tele
Favorite Skis: Fischer S-Bound 98 Off Trail, Voile V6 BC for Tele
Favorite boots: Currently skiing Alfa Vista, Alfa Free, Scarpa T2
Website: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCam0VG ... shelf_id=1

Post by Tom M » Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:31 pm

Those boots look great to me honestly. I may have to give them a try since I haven't actually ordered any yet. BTW the Wind River Lake cam on WYO Roadcams looks pretty good today! Hope to run across you one day, I owe you a beer or diet coke for the help.
I stopped by the new REI in Jackson today to see what they had. No 3 pin or NNNBC boots on display or anything wider than the spider 62 for XCD. They did have a good selection of downhill skis and plastic boots. I stopped for a moment to drool over the Scarpa F1 LT AT Ski Boots. Come on Scarpa, make a tele version of this boot!

I usually wait for the Togwotee Snotel site to show 18" before I make the drive. They were showing 12 inches on the ground today, so we are pretty close.
https://wcc.sc.egov.usda.gov/reportGene ... NWD::delta

I have not had a chance to hold or flex the Fischer's Transnordic boot. Others on this forum who have seen the boots say they are pretty stiff. If that is the case, they might make a great tour for turns boot. I've owned lots of Fischer boots over the years. Some I've liked better than others, but I'm betting the transnordics would offer great downhill control on the 112's. Keep your fingers crossed. Snow is in the forecast.

Hhowden

Post by Hhowden » Thu Nov 11, 2021 8:34 am

RabbitEars wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:31 pm
@Hhowden
I'm 6'2" and same weight. I have the Sbound 98's in the 189 length. I have spent a lot of time on them and they work great for me. once I figured out how to weight myself over the fishscales I feel like I can climb anything until it gets icy then I just put on the easyskin and I am on my way again. I've considered getting the 112 because at my weight I think that the 112 would ski down better on the really low angle stuff. But I worry about the 112 compromising the kick and glide that I love. I bought the 205 Asnes Ingstad to add to my quiver this season hoping it's strengths pick up where the 98's leave off. I think if I am going to get a wider ski I am just going to get a more downhill oriented ski like the Volie Objective or the Rabb 68
Good points and I'm glad to hear the 98s work well for you. Just out of curiosity since we're about the same size, I'm trying to decide between NNNBC and 3 pins, Which do you have/prefer?

Stephen
Ski style: Aspirational Hack
Favorite Skis: Armada Tracer 118 (195), Gamme (210), Ingstad (205), Objective BC (178), Nordica Enforcer 94
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance, Scarpa TX Pro
6’3” / 191cm — 172# / 78kg, size 47 / 30 mondo

Post by Stephen » Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:30 pm

@Hhowden, you didn’t ask me, but I’ll butt in.
I prefer the NNN BC.
BUT, it comes down to what boot you can get that works for you.
The best boot for you would determine the binding.

I happen to like my ALFA Guard boots very much — they are really fantastic for me (it did take some time for them to conform to my foot).
ALFA makes that boot only in NNN BC.
They make a similar, slightly less expensive boot in the Skarvet (NNN BC) / Greenland 75 (75mm).
Those boots should fit the same, and give you a choice of either binding.
REI carried those boots last year, but I don’t see them there this year.
So, in the end, it comes down to what you can find.
Another good boot is the Alpina Alaska, which comes in both binding types.
Personally, I would not buy a ski boot without being able to try it on first.
A poor fit can make the whole ski experience just miserable.

And really pay attention to fit, and wear them around the house for hours before deciding to actually use them.
Sometimes a boot can feel ok on initial wearing, but can become uncomfortable over time, with hot spots or friction points.
Hope this helps…

Hhowden

Post by Hhowden » Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:38 pm

Stephen wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:30 pm
@Hhowden, you didn’t ask me, but I’ll butt in.
I prefer the NNN BC.
BUT, it comes down to what boot you can get that works for you.
The best boot for you would determine the binding.

I happen to like my ALFA Guard boots very much — they are really fantastic for me (it did take some time for them to conform to my foot).
ALFA makes that boot only in NNN BC.
They make a similar, slightly less expensive boot in the Skarvet (NNN BC) / Greenland 75 (75mm).
Those boots should fit the same, and give you a choice of either binding.
REI carried those boots last year, but I don’t see them there this year.
So, in the end, it comes down to what you can find.
Another good boot is the Alpina Alaska, which comes in both binding types.
Personally, I would not buy a ski boot without being able to try it on first.
A poor fit can make the whole ski experience just miserable.

And really pay attention to fit, and wear them around the house for hours before deciding to actually use them.
Sometimes a boot can feel ok on initial wearing, but can become uncomfortable over time, with hot spots or friction points.
Hope this helps…
This helps a lot! I will probably have to travel a couple hours to see if I can find a place with decent boots, or do the purchase/return game with a few to find the correct fit.

Stephen
Ski style: Aspirational Hack
Favorite Skis: Armada Tracer 118 (195), Gamme (210), Ingstad (205), Objective BC (178), Nordica Enforcer 94
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance, Scarpa TX Pro
6’3” / 191cm — 172# / 78kg, size 47 / 30 mondo

Post by Stephen » Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:19 pm

I did the purchase / return thing.
I have easier purchasing access than you do, but, in the end, I think I bought about seven different boots from a couple of local vendors, took them all home and spent a lot of time homing in on fit (I generally have a difficult time with footwear fit).

In the end, an ALFA boot from REI fit well (the Kikuit), but I had the sense that the Guard was a better boot.
(I would have been happy to buy local if the boot I wanted was available locally, but it wasn’t.)
I called ALFA, in wherever they are in Europe, and asked if the Guards would fit the same as the Kikuit, and understoood the answer to be that they should.
So, I rolled the dice and ordered a pair from Varuste, in Finland.
It all worked out, and I’m quite happy with the end result.