Wooden skis.com

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
riel
Ski style: BC XC
Favorite Skis: Asnes Gamme, Ingstad & Støretind, Fischer Mountain Cross & E99
Favorite boots: Fischer BCX675

Re: Wooden skis.com

Post by riel » Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:09 pm

Woodserson wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:57 pm
I block mine with a combination of Swix wax cans, or corks, or some combination of that.

I have retrained some camber and tip-flattening with moderate success. Time helps. The tip thing was pretty rugged, the skis were quite flat, I dumped them in a bucket of water for three days and then used a tip spreader. It OK. Not as good as new, but should be quite serviceable.
I picked up a 215cm pair of Asnes Tur-Langrenn skis off Craigslist today, before reading this discussion, of course.

The camber feels flatter than cross countries typically do, but the wax pocket seems intact. Looking forward to learning how to maintain these skis :)

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:13 am

C'mon over! The sooner we clamp them together the better. I'm around this week.

kumachan

Post by kumachan » Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:23 am

Woodserson wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:57 pm
Fun fact:
Asnes
Trysil Knut
Holmenkollen

All the same skis from the same factory, all Asnes. Rebranded for the North American market.
Also the brand Telemark. An Asnes made, wood backcountry ski. It even has an Asnes-like "A" logo on the tip.

kumachan

Post by kumachan » Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:27 am

riel wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:09 pm

I picked up a 215cm pair of Asnes Tur-Langrenn skis off Craigslist today, before reading this discussion, of course.

The camber feels flatter than cross countries typically do, but the wax pocket seems intact. Looking forward to learning how to maintain these skis :)
Be sure to read the "Ski Care" (and watch the videos) section on the Woodenskis.com site!

riel
Ski style: BC XC
Favorite Skis: Asnes Gamme, Ingstad & Støretind, Fischer Mountain Cross & E99
Favorite boots: Fischer BCX675

Post by riel » Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:04 pm

kumachan wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:27 am
riel wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:09 pm

Be sure to read the "Ski Care" (and watch the videos) section on the Woodenskis.com site!
I have the skis stored in the garage, with a block underfoot, and a small board to keep the skis from touching the concrete. Looking forward to learning the pine tar thing soon. The glide wax and kick wax parts appear to be identical to what I already do on my other waxable skis.

kumachan

Post by kumachan » Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:28 pm

Welcome to the old timey winter obsession/rites of passion, riel! Hopefully, those whom you live with will enjoy the lingering scent of heated pine tar!

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:06 am

Years ago...er....decades ago....a school where I taught was throwing away 15 or so Tur L's ....Had been part of the Phys Ed program....Gathered them all up and they reside up in my shed....From very short to quite long....If you like these skis and your up this way and you would be kind to them....I would give a few away....TM

Chisana
Ski style: Sliding on snow
Favorite Skis: EMS Woodies
Favorite boots: Merrell ultras

Post by Chisana » Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:55 pm

Very generous offer by gt. A little too far for me, but those of you in the area ought to take advantage of gt's generosity. Those woodies might just have some life in them yet!

phoenix
Ski style: My own
Favorite Skis: Varies,I've had many favorites
Favorite boots: Excursions, T1's

Post by phoenix » Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:40 pm

"The glide wax and kick wax parts appear to be identical to what I already do on my other skis"

Without backtracking these posts too much, I'm assuming (dangerous, I know) the above quote is in relation to your new to you wood skis. I'll simply offer that woodies are, and have been, mostly a full length, one wax affair. Pine tar prep, of course, then a foundation of Polar. Waxes du jour after that.

Not knocking the grip/glide wax technique; I sometimes go this route with my synthetic base boards. Full length waxing works quite nicely for bc applications.

kumachan

Post by kumachan » Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:46 pm

greatgt wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:06 am
If you like these skis and your up this way and you would be kind to them....I would give a few away....TM
And where might you be located, kind person?