Wildly speculative talk about Asnes 21-22 lineup: Otto/FT62

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
CwmRaider
Ski style: XC-(D) tinkerer
Favorite Skis: Åsnes FT62 XP, Børge Ousland
Occupation: Very precise measurements of very small quantities.

Re: Wildly speculative talk about Asnes 21-22 lineup: Otto/FT62

Post by CwmRaider » Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:34 am

Nitram Tocrut wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:04 pm
@Roelant did you have the chance to try them?
No, there still isnt enough snow here unfortunately. And these are busy times with a 1 year old :)

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:17 am

Woodserson wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:41 pm
Nitram Tocrut wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:04 pm

@Woodserson , responsive K&G might be an understatement 8-) . I have a pair at home and I have compared it to some of my skis. The camber height is more like the camber of my really fast 206 Salomon track ski then any of my XC BC ski. Given the height and the stiffness that should translate into a pretty fast touring skis. Given that, one will probably have to be conservative when choosing the right length to optimize the K&G potential and also to get good grip in steep terrain as LilCliffy told me. I see them as a replacement, I might be wrong, for my aging Europa on the snow conditions we most encounter in the Northeast… well my Northeast at least with sometimes many weeks of hard snow in a row and it seems to be the Åsnes skis most adapted for our conditions. Crister said they are even easier to turn than the Nansen but Its not my impression… but if Crister said so… :D @Roelant did you have the chance to try them?
Wow. Ok. Glad I got the 200s.
I have ordered 205cm from LaCordee in QC- they haven't arrived yet(!)
Based on the current reports I may have over-reached...I want to use this ski in steep and hilly terrain and especially on consolidated and refrozen snow.
I may discover that I should have gone shorter...I'll find out and let you know!
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

lilcliffy
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4

Post by lilcliffy » Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:28 am

For me- the Sverdrup ski is going to have to be sized just right- to get efficient classic kick & glide performance- yet also be able to efficiently climb on wax/kicker AND be able to pressure them into a turn on consolidated snow.
I am thinking that this might be difficult to get just right.
An example of a ski that I wish I could select from a rack- with many to choose from of all lengths!

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:15 am

Vid on the Rabb just dropped using recycled footage. Absolutely no new information, but I will say I am always astounded that Asnes comes right up front and says "this is a telemark ski." No one else does this outside the small boutique companies like SCE and maybe Bishop? I'm feeling the love.

The FT62 has better music and I think one new skiing scene

John Dee

Post by John Dee » Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:39 am

@Nitram Tocrut

So is it like a Gamme?

I wonder if I would be on 190 or 195s at 71kg.

lilcliffy

Post by lilcliffy » Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:05 pm

So my order finally arrived-
20211126_204422.jpg
Some intial notes on the Sverdrup (compared to other skis):
- the Ingstad has a more uniform stiffness than the Sverdrup- yes the shovel of the Ingstad might be a tad softer than the rest of the ski, BUT-
- the Sverdrup has a very noticeably more flexible shovel and tail than its midsection- and its shovel and tail are more flexible than the Ingstad- more flexible shovel and tail than any of the Asnes Fjeskis, yet still feels moderately-stiff and supportive (i.e. MUCH more supportive than the shovel on my E99/E109/Eon)
- the Sverdrup has significant shovel-rocker- closer to the Ingstad than the Gamme 54
- the Sverdrup has the most significant intial camber underfoot of all of the Asnes fjellskis that I own- more than the Amundsen and Gamme
- the Sverdrup's final resistance underfoot is more than the Ingstad/Nansen/Combat Nato- similar to the Amundsen/Gamme underfoot
- the Sverdrup has significant taper in the tail, and the tail is ever-so-slightly raised- this- combined with the more flexible tail- compared to the Ingstad- should make the Sverdrup easier to release and smear a turm on consolidated snow than the Ingstad
- the Sverdrup I have is definitely stiffer underfoot than my Combat NATO
-
Current conclusions-
the Sverdrup is magnificent-
I am however concerned that I may have finally reached too far with the length of the Sverdrup...I bought a 205cm...
All of that camber and stiffness underfoot...
Fine for gentle to moderate lines- but then I might as well be on the Amundsen/Gamme...
With all of that underfoot, I am wondering what the 205cm Sverdrup will be like when climbing and pressuring into turns...
I weigh 180ish lbs
I will let you know how I make out with the 205 Sverdrup!

The Sverdrup is DEFINITELY a different ski from all of the other Fjellskis.

As a note- the Sverdrup reminds me most of my E99 Tour Xtralite- but the Sverdrup has a much more stable flex overall, and has a stiff, traditional raised tip. My initial impression is that it answers all that I fouind wanting in the E99 Xtralite...

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:44 pm

@lilcliffy Gareth if you prove light for Otto, my 190 lbs might be more to his liking. Go ahead and soften him up this season and if you downsize for next season maybe I can help you out ;)
Good luck, I really hope it works out for you. I need more snow, I have enough skis!
Red or black flexors for Otto???

jyw5

Post by jyw5 » Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:30 am

John Dee wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:39 am
@Nitram Tocrut

So is it like a Gamme?

I wonder if I would be on 190 or 195s at 71kg.
length depends also on what you plan to do with it. I'm about 71kg with a light backpack and I ordered a 175cm Sverdrup. I just got an email today...its on the way. I plan to ski steep consolidated snow and spring and fall variable conditions. I will let you guys know how it is.

I have the Skog in 185cm (skog=nansen) and it feels too long. great for gentle slopes, too long for steep descents...but i did recently ski down a chute with them...albeit not very well. So at 190cm, 195cm, you will be using as flat terrain skis for K&G...in which gamme is probably a better choice, or 190cm MT51 if there's up to 10cm of dry/light snow and maybe 190cm Nansen if the snow is deeper.

John Dee

Post by John Dee » Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:31 am

Sorry, I was being sparse with my words. I meant to ask if it was stiff like a Gamme. I think @lilcliffy said it was.

lilcliffy

Post by lilcliffy » Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:02 pm

fisheater wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:44 pm
@lilcliffy Gareth if you prove light for Otto, my 190 lbs might be more to his liking. Go ahead and soften him up this season and if you downsize for next season maybe I can help you out ;)
Good luck, I really hope it works out for you. I need more snow, I have enough skis!
Red or black flexors for Otto???
Hi Bob!
I will definitely keep you in mind- though I have two heavier close friends that I ski with regularly that are already trying to convince me that they are too long for me!

Heavy snow here today- today will be my first real tur of the season- the snow is late here again this season, but it looks fantastic out there!!

Red flexors on the Otto with the Magnum binding.