Alternatives before buying Alaskas

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Sloth Monster

Re: Alternatives before buying Alaskas

Post by Sloth Monster » Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:09 pm

I just bought the Alpina Alaskas, but I also was wondering how the Fischer BCX transnordics are. I can't seem to find any reviews, or their popularity ratings?

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:38 pm

Brand New and the jury is still out. You'll be good with your Alaska's. Where in NY are you?

Sloth Monster

Post by Sloth Monster » Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:17 am

Woodserson wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:38 pm
Brand New and the jury is still out. You'll be good with your Alaska's. Where in NY are you?
I will be skiing in Harriman State Park and in NJ, Ringwood State Park. Harriman has forest roads, and Ringwood is very hilly, with a lot of snowmobiles. I usually bike in Ringwood, but when there is close to a foot of snow it is impossible to bike! I tried to buy skis last season, but by February there was not a ski to be found!

I will need to figure out the best way to go downhill on forest roads, they are not too wide, and I am used to S turns of alpine skiing. Any good videos on this?

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:03 pm

Sloth Monster wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:17 am

I will need to figure out the best way to go downhill on forest roads, they are not too wide, and I am used to S turns of alpine skiing. Any good videos on this?
This is the beginning of a long journey. Embrace it. There are no easy answers. It is called telemark and you will have to rewire your brain. Chances are the roads will be slow enough.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:10 pm

@Sloth Monster , The S-98 is a pretty easy turner. However Alaska’s on NNN-BC is a different animal than plastic boots. In addition to Telemark turns, there are step turns, wedge turns, and parallel turns. All should be in the tool box. You’re in the back country, ski as if nobody’s looking, well who cares! Just enjoy yourself.

stilltryin
Ski style: Wandering the untracked (by humans)
Favorite Skis: Voile V6 BC; Karhu XCD/GT
Favorite boots: Scarpa T3; Alpina Alaska NNN-BC

Post by stilltryin » Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:15 pm

Just because your heel is free doesn't mean every turn has to be a telemark turn.
Any turn (or stop) that keeps you from slamming into a tree is a good one.
People have been skiing down mountain roads on XC gear for years w/o making telemark turns.
If you don't XC, many skills you have from alpine skiing will apply: snow plow, wedge turns, p-turns.

Edit: Fisheater beat me to it.

phoenix
Ski style: My own
Favorite Skis: Varies,I've had many favorites
Favorite boots: Excursions, T1's

Post by phoenix » Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:28 pm

I was about to add pretty much what fisheater and stilltryin just did. I was gonna say... just use your alpine skills, for now. There's a brief initial adjustment to not face plant, then alpine turns come pretty easily. When you feel like it, you can spend some time concentrating on whatever tele technique suits you (it's personalized).

Inspiredcapers
Ski style: Erratic
Favorite Skis: Gammes currently at the top of the list
Favorite boots: Transnordics in NNN-BC & 75mm

Post by Inspiredcapers » Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:48 am

Mr Fisheater said; “I really like my Alaska BC, so much that I picked up an Alaska 75 mm. The Alaska fit me like they are custom made, it doesn’t get better than that. I agree about the high ankle, I don’t need it, but it doesn’t have any negative effect on my striding. The only guy I ski with is 10 years younger than me, he runs all year, and skis on NNN and a performance XC ski. I ski on Gamme and Alaska on NNN-BC. We don’t race, we enjoy skiing together a couple times a year, but you still know. We are pretty equal, but I’m much faster downhill. So I think kick and glide performance is pretty good.”

I like my Alaska 75mm so much that I’m planning on getting Alaska BC’s when I go with an NNN-BC binding for my next purchase. They’re amazing comfortable- I usually leave the top area lacing looser for k n’ g and tighten up when I want more control…

Stephen
Ski style: Aspirational Hack
Favorite Skis: Armada Tracer 118 (195), Gamme (210), Ingstad (205), Objective BC (178), Nordica Enforcer 94
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance, Scarpa TX Pro
6’3” / 191cm — 172# / 78kg, size 47 / 30 mondo

Post by Stephen » Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:40 pm

John Dee wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:13 pm
I know that the Alfa Guard was designed specifically for pretty flat touring in Norway, and people say it has similar control, so it seems like best comfort and function. But Alaska is probably the best fit.
ALFA does say something different.

From ALFA Website:
https://www.alfaoutdoor.com/collections ... tx-m-black

Description

A warm and sturdy backcountry ski boot in full grain leather with good support and comfort for demanding ski touring in the mountains. This boot is a reinforced model of the classic Skarvet / BC Advance GTX BC ski boots to be the perfect companion in hilly terrain with steeper slopes while retaining the good skiing properties. The boot is winter lined with GORE-TEX, has a stable and insulating midsole, as well as an anatomic insole. Memoryfoam provides comfort and together with the good fit in the heel this helps prevent blisters, so you can enjoy even the tougher trips and descents.

John Dee

Post by John Dee » Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:11 pm

I was reiterating someone's speculation about what terrain and type of skiing the Guard was probably designed for. Or, in other words, what market niche Alfa intended it to be for. Norway has mountains, but it also has a lot of plateaus. They said there were typical "hut to hut" tours done over what was mostly flat or gently rolling terrain, with occasional steep sections. This is why the Guard has such a good focus on kick and glide performance, while secondly being able to handle steeps.