alpine boots on telemark

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
yolotuber

alpine boots on telemark

Post by yolotuber » Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:01 pm

hello,
I want to try telemark,I cand find skis and binding for a pretty low cost, but boots are not available in my aread.
So can I telemark with my alpine ski boots ?

thank you :)))

CwmRaider
Ski style: XC-(D) tinkerer
Favorite Skis: Åsnes FT62 XP, Børge Ousland
Occupation: Very precise measurements of very small quantities.

Re: alpine boots on telemark

Post by CwmRaider » Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:42 pm

Hi,
No, you need boots that can bend at the sole.
Buy some used ones :)

bauerb

Post by bauerb » Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:52 am

you don't need a local shop to buy tele. I didn't buy my first new tele boots until I had been tele skiing for 35 years. swap meets, classifieds, web forums, that is where you should buy your first gear. be patient and flexible, you may not find exactly what you want at the price you want, but buy something, try it, sell it upgrade as you learn. my only advice, and this is strictly my opinion, is that its hard to buy the entirely "wrong" gear on your first try, but, boots a little big are better than too small, skis a little short are better than too long.

joeatomictoad
Ski style: Yes, please.
Favorite Skis: Nordica Enforcer 93; Icelantic Saba Pro 117; 22D HH & Vice
Favorite boots: Scarpa T1

Post by joeatomictoad » Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:02 pm

yolotuber wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:01 pm
So can I telemark with my alpine ski boots ?
Please make a video and share if you try this. Not just for laughs, but also for interest. If it's been documented before, I have never seen it.

zonca
Ski style: Classic xc/w scales, TTS Telemark
Favorite Skis: Moonlight Eagle
Favorite boots: TXP, F1Race, F1

Post by zonca » Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:43 pm

I once met a mad old guy who thought tele was done on AT gear in tour mode. His claim was that he stuck one leg way behind and used that ski as a rudder and did some significant day tours that way. Never saw it though and doubt anyone would try it for more than a couple turns. My opinion he was crazy or lying.
I acknowledge that I live on the traditional territory of the Algonquin Nation

joeatomictoad

Post by joeatomictoad » Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:31 pm

My first season or two with tele consisted of more ambition than knowledge. Prior to my first lesson, I didn't know the downhill ski was supposed to lead the uphill ski. Believe this kind of turn has a name... "wrong."

I like to think there's a madman in all of us.

Lighturn

Post by Lighturn » Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:00 am

When I wanted to check out Telemark, after years of AT I just bought a pair of second hand Skis & G3 Targas ascent & Skins. Next evening after work i toured up a little mountain for a few hundred meters of elevation. Arriving at the summit in 20 cm of fresh fallen heavy snow darkness began to fall in. In the light of my headlamp I stacked my skins in the backpack and was redy to run my earned truns. And off I went!

Man, did I lough after the first three or four turns about how difficult these Telepeople made their life! What an unbelievable misconstruction had I bought - the effort and effect was ridiculous! I wondered if in Telestyle the turns were not only earned by skinning up the mountain, but also by the close to impossible way to handle that malfunktioning peace of tross fixed to the skis. Ridiculous!

In the cold light of my headlamp I examined the scrap 8-) - just to discover the lever to switch the binding into downhill mode :lol:

Cheers

Lighturn
Last edited by Lighturn on Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

joeatomictoad

Post by joeatomictoad » Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:47 pm

Lighturn wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:00 am
In the cold light of my headlamp I examined the scrap 8-) - just to discover the lever to switch the binding into downhill mode :lol:
Fueled by stoke! Awesome. I'm sure a great many of rookie mistakes are just waiting to be shared here... or maybe already in a separate thread.