Leather 75mm boots help. Alico Ski March or used Andrew (unknown model)? Edit: found model, it's an Andrew Claut

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
jlstamour

Leather 75mm boots help. Alico Ski March or used Andrew (unknown model)? Edit: found model, it's an Andrew Claut

Post by jlstamour » Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:07 am

Hi everyone,

Avid-reader first-time poster.

First off, thanks a lot for all the information on this forum. It's helped me get into XCd after being an in-bounds cross-country skier for many many years. Following the budget recommendations on this forum, I got the Asnes USGI (200) skis with 3-pin bindings and the Alico Ski March (UK7) boots as my first kit last winter.

I've been having trouble with the Alico Ski March unfortunately. They've been giving me blisters on the back on heel and inside my ankle, and they slightly compress my toes on my right foot even with just the thin and hard insole. I was thinking about getting a pair one size bigger (UK8) and using the felt insole but then I saw an ebay listing for a used Andrew leather boot. Here's the link: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/353360897678?ha ... Sw~UtgCKXP. They are UK7 however from what I've read older Andrew boots run a little large which could work since I have EU 41.5-ish feet.

Are these boot actually Andrew boots? I'm unsure since the 4 bottom metal lace holes coupled with 2 top lace hooks don't seem to match other pictures I could find of other Andrew models, but then it might be a older model. If they are Andrew boots, would you consider them too worn to purchase or in good enough conditions?

Or considering all the unknowns with the Andrew boot, would you recommend getting the Alico Ski March in UK8.

Thanks for all your help!

Edit: added a bit more information.
Last edited by jlstamour on Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Re: Leather 75mm boots help. Alico Ski March or used Andrew (unknown model)?

Post by fisheater » Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:59 am

The EBay boot is an Andrew, as the embossing on the boot indicates. It looked like the sole assembly is beefy like the Ski March, which is plenty boot for the USGI. I can’t comment on Andrew sizing. I’m the guy that ordered a Ski March boot that fit well and has been going strong for a few years now. Some guys haven’t been as fortunate.

Chisana
Ski style: Sliding on snow
Favorite Skis: EMS Woodies
Favorite boots: Merrell ultras

Post by Chisana » Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:58 am

The only thing I have to add is that duct tape on the heel of your feet sometimes helps prevent blisters when wearing stiff boots.

jlstamour

Post by jlstamour » Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:03 pm

Thanks @fisheater for confirming they are Andrew boots. One can only hope to fit as well in Alico Ski March as you!

Thanks @chisana, I've tried to duct tape and other tapes (leukotape P works especially well I find) on my heels but it just rips out unfortunately. Either the boot is too powerful or the fit too poor!

After a bit more searching and looking at the ebay pictures more closely they do identify the model. It looks to be an Andrew Claut, for sale on 2 (!) australian online stores (https://www.wildernessshop.com.au/produ ... 2723271832 and https://www.bogong.com.au/andrew-claut-ski-boot.html) Does anyone have info about the Andrew Claut model? I can't seem to find anything on this forum or online right now.
Last edited by jlstamour on Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fgd135
Ski style: Yes, sometimes.
Favorite Skis: Most of them
Favorite boots: Boots that fit

Re: Leather 75mm boots help. Alico Ski March or used Andrew (unknown model)? Edit: found model, it's an Andrew Claut

Post by fgd135 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:08 pm

Just reading the description of the Klaut, it appears to be equivalent in construction overall to the Alico you already have, so the only difference would be in the fit, whatever that may be.
It sounds to me that your Alicos are too short in length and too wide at the ankles. A longer pair would give you toe room, but the widerankle will probably not improve, unless you wear very thick socks and a regular insole.
Older Asolo Snowpines and Snowfields are narrow compared to the Alicos, and the older Merrels are between the two.
Last edited by fgd135 on Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"To me, gracefulness on skis should be the end-all of the sport" --Stein Eriksen

Bazillions

Re: Leather 75mm boots help. Alico Ski March or used Andrew (unknown model)? Edit: found model, it's an Andrew Claut

Post by Bazillions » Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:55 pm

Heel booties may solve your blister problem. They did for me.

I bought some someone else on here posted awhile back called like ezeefit or something.
point and click

jlstamour

Post by jlstamour » Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:07 pm

Thanks @fdg135! I think your assessment regarding a larger Alico Ski March size not fixing all the issues is correct.

Thanks for the information regarding different companies and their general width tendencies. I'm seeing an Asolo Morgedal that should fit slimmer and would be the right size (https://www.ebay.ca/itm/165085058921?ha ... SwYEFhSemj). There seems to be conflicting reports on the stiffness of the sole, does anyone have experience with the Asolo Morgedal? Should I be worried about the scuff/cut on the top left boot? Sorry for the many questions and thanks for all your help so far!

Thanks for the tip @bazillions. The worse blisters actually happen on the inside of my ankle unfortunately. Hard to protect and to tape. Glad to hear you were able to solve your blister problem.

Also, for anyone looking for the regular width Alico SKi March, when I spoke to GI Joe Army Stores in the UK they confirmed that they have the "M" width for UK8 which is what I received in my UK7 and I can confirm they are not wide. They said if you include "M width" in the note to seller they will make sure to grab a narrow pair. I'm not sure how many they have left however.

John Dee

Post by John Dee » Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:42 pm

Andrew is really good, I think, like Alicos.

Chisana
Ski style: Sliding on snow
Favorite Skis: EMS Woodies
Favorite boots: Merrell ultras

Post by Chisana » Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:59 pm

Those ezeefit booties bazillion suggested look like they protect the heel and partway at least up the ankle. I am going to try to find a pair and give them a try. Aside from occasional heel blisters,I have skinny ankles and this may help achieve a more secure fit at the ankle.

Bazillions

Post by Bazillions » Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:57 am

jlstamour wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:07 pm
Thanks @fdg135! I think your assessment regarding a larger Alico Ski March size not fixing all the issues is correct.

Thanks for the information regarding different companies and their general width tendencies. I'm seeing an Asolo Morgedal that should fit slimmer and would be the right size (https://www.ebay.ca/itm/165085058921?ha ... SwYEFhSemj). There seems to be conflicting reports on the stiffness of the sole, does anyone have experience with the Asolo Morgedal? Should I be worried about the scuff/cut on the top left boot? Sorry for the many questions and thanks for all your help so far!

Thanks for the tip @bazillions. The worse blisters actually happen on the inside of my ankle unfortunately. Hard to protect and to tape. Glad to hear you were able to solve your blister problem.

Also, for anyone looking for the regular width Alico SKi March, when I spoke to GI Joe Army Stores in the UK they confirmed that they have the "M" width for UK8 which is what I received in my UK7 and I can confirm they are not wide. They said if you include "M width" in the note to seller they will make sure to grab a narrow pair. I'm not sure how many they have left however.
Those booties do cover the inside part of your ankle as well.

I'm not sure if they will solve your problem or not though.
point and click