Ski Boot Review- 2021 Alpina Alaska BC

Real reviews by real skiers. What a concept! Add your own today. Reviews only please, questions can be posted as replies but new threads looking for opinions should be posted to the main Telemark Talk Forum.
User avatar
Ullrsson
Posts: 26
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2021 2:06 am
Location: Alaska
Ski style: Nordic BC
Favorite Skis: Fischer E88, Åsnes Amundsen, SummitCone Vagabond

Re: Ski Boot Review- 2021 Alpina Alaska BC

Post by Ullrsson » Sat Jan 08, 2022 1:59 am

lilcliffy wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:33 pm
Oh- you said 26.3 above...
That was Krakus. Im thinking to give the Alfas a go. I've had pretty good luck so far with sizing online. The 1600s were tolerable, but I think I could actually fit into a 44 if they were wider which tends to cause issues with improper creasing I think.

*edit: according to Alfa's charts I'm still a 45. (I rechecked my foot measurement and actually I'm 27.5 so that puts me solidly in the size 45 bracket, especially with the added 1.5 cm.) Anyway I apologize for the thread drift.

User avatar
Krakus
Posts: 58
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:14 am
Location: Southern Poland
Ski style: many falls
Favorite Skis: Tua Grande Neige :), Asnes Nansen, Salomon XADV89
Favorite boots: Fischer BCX6, BCX675

Re: Ski Boot Review- 2021 Alpina Alaska BC

Post by Krakus » Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:22 am

lilcliffy wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:00 pm
Peope with large-volume feet often have an instep measurement that is longer than their foot length, and should use their instep length when sizing footwear.
My instep circumference is equal or slightly larger than foot lenght, so that is rather towards large volume? In there any page about footwear sizing that considers these aspects, worth reading? Anyway, that points to 43 Alaskas?



User avatar
lilcliffy
Posts: 3252
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:20 pm
Location: Stanley, New Brunswick, Canada
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad BC; Asnes Gamme 54 BC; Asnes Storetind Carbon; Madshus Annum; Asnes Comabt Nato
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance BC; Alpina Alaska BC; Crispi Svartisen BC; Scarpa T4
Occupation: Forestry Professional
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Re: Ski Boot Review- 2021 Alpina Alaska BC

Post by lilcliffy » Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:43 am

Ullrsson wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 1:59 am
lilcliffy wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:33 pm
Oh- you said 26.3 above...
That was Krakus. Im thinking to give the Alfas a go. I've had pretty good luck so far with sizing online. The 1600s were tolerable, but I think I could actually fit into a 44 if they were wider which tends to cause issues with improper creasing I think.

*edit: according to Alfa's charts I'm still a 45. (I rechecked my foot measurement and actually I'm 27.5 so that puts me solidly in the size 45 bracket, especially with the added 1.5 cm.) Anyway I apologize for the thread drift.
Sorry about my confusion!

What size are you in the 1600?
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.



User avatar
lilcliffy
Posts: 3252
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:20 pm
Location: Stanley, New Brunswick, Canada
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad BC; Asnes Gamme 54 BC; Asnes Storetind Carbon; Madshus Annum; Asnes Comabt Nato
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance BC; Alpina Alaska BC; Crispi Svartisen BC; Scarpa T4
Occupation: Forestry Professional
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Re: Ski Boot Review- 2021 Alpina Alaska BC

Post by lilcliffy » Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:47 am

Krakus wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:22 am
lilcliffy wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:00 pm
Peope with large-volume feet often have an instep measurement that is longer than their foot length, and should use their instep length when sizing footwear.
My instep circumference is equal or slightly larger than foot lenght, so that is rather towards large volume? In there any page about footwear sizing that considers these aspects, worth reading? Anyway, that points to 43 Alaskas?
Yes- I think you would be more comfortable in a size 43 Alaska-
you can add a thicker insole if you end up with too much volume in the forefoot.

My instep measurement is shorter than my foot length- I have a small-volume foot (don't know if this corelation is universal....)

My wife's foot is large-volume- her instep measurement is longer than her foot measurement-
she would fit in a size 40 Alaska in terms of length, but the size 41 is much better due to boot volume.
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.



User avatar
Ullrsson
Posts: 26
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2021 2:06 am
Location: Alaska
Ski style: Nordic BC
Favorite Skis: Fischer E88, Åsnes Amundsen, SummitCone Vagabond

Re: Ski Boot Review- 2021 Alpina Alaska BC

Post by Ullrsson » Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:55 pm

lilcliffy wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:43 am
Ullrsson wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 1:59 am
lilcliffy wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:33 pm
Oh- you said 26.3 above...
That was Krakus. Im thinking to give the Alfas a go. I've had pretty good luck so far with sizing online. The 1600s were tolerable, but I think I could actually fit into a 44 if they were wider which tends to cause issues with improper creasing I think.

*edit: according to Alfa's charts I'm still a 45. (I rechecked my foot measurement and actually I'm 27.5 so that puts me solidly in the size 45 bracket, especially with the added 1.5 cm.) Anyway I apologize for the thread drift.
Sorry about my confusion!

What size are you in the 1600?
I'm a 45 in the BC 1600. I was thinking based on others' statements to downsize to a 44 (I actually have a pair of Norwegian military boots made by Alfa in 44, and they have plenty of room), but based on Alfa's chart and my mondo size, I should be in a 45.



User avatar
lilcliffy
Posts: 3252
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:20 pm
Location: Stanley, New Brunswick, Canada
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad BC; Asnes Gamme 54 BC; Asnes Storetind Carbon; Madshus Annum; Asnes Comabt Nato
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance BC; Alpina Alaska BC; Crispi Svartisen BC; Scarpa T4
Occupation: Forestry Professional
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Re: Ski Boot Review- 2021 Alpina Alaska BC

Post by lilcliffy » Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:26 pm

@Ullrsson
Do you mean downsize in an Alfa Guard?

Why are you in the 45 in the 1600- foot width, length or volume?
All other metrics ignored- would you fit in a 1600 in terms of length?
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.



User avatar
lilcliffy
Posts: 3252
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:20 pm
Location: Stanley, New Brunswick, Canada
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad BC; Asnes Gamme 54 BC; Asnes Storetind Carbon; Madshus Annum; Asnes Comabt Nato
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance BC; Alpina Alaska BC; Crispi Svartisen BC; Scarpa T4
Occupation: Forestry Professional
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Re: Ski Boot Review- 2021 Alpina Alaska BC

Post by lilcliffy » Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:28 pm

Ullrsson wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 1:59 am
Im thinking to give the Alfas a go. I've had pretty good luck so far with sizing online. The 1600s were tolerable, but I think I could actually fit into a 44 if they were wider which tends to cause issues with improper creasing I think.

*edit: according to Alfa's charts I'm still a 45. (I rechecked my foot measurement and actually I'm 27.5 so that puts me solidly in the size 45 bracket, especially with the added 1.5 cm.) Anyway I apologize for the thread drift.
Hmmm...
If you could fit in a 1600 size 44EU- but want/need a size 45 for width- then I would think that a size 44 Alfa Guard would be ideal...
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.



User avatar
Ullrsson
Posts: 26
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2021 2:06 am
Location: Alaska
Ski style: Nordic BC
Favorite Skis: Fischer E88, Åsnes Amundsen, SummitCone Vagabond

Re: Ski Boot Review- 2021 Alpina Alaska BC

Post by Ullrsson » Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:39 pm

lilcliffy wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:28 pm
Ullrsson wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 1:59 am
Im thinking to give the Alfas a go. I've had pretty good luck so far with sizing online. The 1600s were tolerable, but I think I could actually fit into a 44 if they were wider which tends to cause issues with improper creasing I think.

*edit: according to Alfa's charts I'm still a 45. (I rechecked my foot measurement and actually I'm 27.5 so that puts me solidly in the size 45 bracket, especially with the added 1.5 cm.) Anyway I apologize for the thread drift.
Hmmm...
If you could fit in a 1600 size 44EU- but want/need a size 45 for width- then I would think that a size 44 Alfa Guard would be ideal...
This seems to be the case. Unfortunately, there's no way to try them first since REI isn't stocking them right now.



User avatar
NicoG
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:33 pm
Location: Montréal

Re: Ski Boot Review- 2021 Alpina Alaska BC

Post by NicoG » Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:12 pm

Thanks a lot lilcliffy for this review!!!

My first post here ... and mostly starting my XCD life experience - a shame that I did not discovered it earlier :):)

I have wide foot so as I understand alfa boot would fit me better ... but due to availably I went with Alpina Alaska.
In my case, 46 is a good sizing for width (without socks my foot is already slightly larger than insoles), but 45 would be much better for length.

My more general question would be:
with this boots which is relatively stiff and that I guess will not give much in width (as opposed to softer or running shoes) is it better to use thigh shoes in width with a good length or have a proper fit in width but a too long boot ?

thanks a lot in advance!



User avatar
lilcliffy
Posts: 3252
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:20 pm
Location: Stanley, New Brunswick, Canada
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad BC; Asnes Gamme 54 BC; Asnes Storetind Carbon; Madshus Annum; Asnes Comabt Nato
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance BC; Alpina Alaska BC; Crispi Svartisen BC; Scarpa T4
Occupation: Forestry Professional
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Re: Ski Boot Review- 2021 Alpina Alaska BC

Post by lilcliffy » Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:37 pm

Hello and WELCOME NicoG!!
NicoG wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:12 pm
Thanks a lot lilcliffy for this review!!!

My first post here ... and mostly starting my XCD life experience - a shame that I did not discovered it earlier :):)
Keep skiing and join us here and tell us of your ski experiences! What ski(s) are you using with your Alaska?
I have wide foot so as I understand alfa boot would fit me better ... but due to availably I went with Alpina Alaska.
In my case, 46 is a good sizing for width (without socks my foot is already slightly larger than insoles), but 45 would be much better for length.
This makes sense and is consistent with my and others' experience with this boot. Are you getting any toe pinch from the longish boot?
My more general question would be:
with this boots which is relatively stiff and that I guess will not give much in width (as opposed to softer or running shoes) is it better to use thigh shoes in width with a good length or have a proper fit in width but a too long boot ?

thanks a lot in advance!
Having a slightly too long boot may be just fine-

Do you have a low-volume or large-volume foot?

If you have a low-volume foot, you might need/want a thicker insole in the longish boot to take up some volume.

Gareth
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.



Post Reply