Light & agile tele: SB with the new transnordic leather?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
jyw5

Re: Light & agile tele: SB with the new transnordic leather?

Post by jyw5 » Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:45 pm

TheMusher wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:02 pm
A lot of valuable insight here - appreciate it!
Even more data point to confirm that SB and leather is a tough match.

Based on your input I've boiled down a few preliminary alternatives:

Alternative 1:
- Boots: Transnordic 75
- Bindings: 3pinHW or Rotte Super tele
- Ski: TBD - Anything from probably Aasnes Nosi to Voile Ultravector

Pros: More versatile for non-alpine terrain, better for approaches?

Alternative 2:
- Boots: Lundhags Guide Expedition 75
- Bindings: SB / X2
- Ski: Voile UV or similar (96 waist)

Pros: Free pivot for trail breaking, better future match with T4s of the world?

The Lundhags Guide Expedition is an interesting cookie. I'm a sucker for Lundhags boots and find them to be the best mountain boots in the summer by a landslide - far above other Nordic favorites such as Alfa and Crispi (which are also great). Never tried their skiing boots, but I was surprised to see that Lundhags has explicitiy stated that the Guide boots are best used with Switchback or Rotte Super, and not(!) advised for 3-pin due to breakage.

Anyone with experience with these? I know they may be tough to find in the US. Wonder how they compare to e.g. Transnordic and Alaska, in terms of ancle support and stiffness.

Also intrigued to see some of you are exploring such alpine terrain with NNN-BC. I have more than five Aasnes skiis that I pair with Crispi Stetind for polar style touring (an absolutely long-haul comfort machine), or simple 3-pin with Crispi Bre (torture machine). At a closer look, both the Alfa Guard and obviously the new explore system would provide much more stability than these. Xplore is definitely one to watch for the future.

Pic of the Lundhags Guide Expedition (heavy duty leather)1040439-912.jpg

You are right about the Voile skis I suggested. especially in 177cm, they are very wide. I had forgotten that they get wider with length. Another alternative is the Nosi 76 with your choice of bindings/boots. I am personally looking at these with NNN BC to replace my Fischer S112 eventually. So it depends if you are willing to go narrower. I havent skiied them, but I have 4 pairs of Asnes and have read just about everything on this forum regarding the entire line of Asnes skis... I think the Nosi would be quite downhill oriented, very light, and easy to turn...probably a bit slow on flattish approaches, but very fast for steep climbing

telerat
Ski style: Telemark, backcountry nordic and cross country skiing.
Favorite Skis: Any ski suitable for telemark or backcountry skiing, with some side-cut for turning.
Favorite boots: Scarpa plastic telemark. Asolo and Alfa leather boots.

Post by telerat » Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:36 am

TheMusher wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:02 pm
The Lundhags Guide Expedition is an interesting cookie. I'm a sucker for Lundhags boots and find them to be the best mountain boots in the summer by a landslide - far above other Nordic favorites such as Alfa and Crispi (which are also great). Never tried their skiing boots, but I was surprised to see that Lundhags has explicitiy stated that the Guide boots are best used with Switchback or Rotte Super, and not(!) advised for 3-pin due to breakage.

Anyone with experience with these? I know they may be tough to find in the US. Wonder how they compare to e.g. Transnordic and Alaska, in terms of ancle support and stiffness.
Utemagasinet has a test of the Lundhags Guide BC, see:
https://www.utemagasinet.no/fjellski/fj ... b5cdf1368c
They rates it at 10/10 and there is both stability, comfort and user friendliness. I assume the recommendation of wire-bindings and not 3-pin for 75mm version is to avoid the problem of the front splitting open like on earlier Alpina Alaska 75.

Regarding your original question. I still have not gotten to ski Store Riingstind, but that trip contains a few sections 35+ degrees steep and crampons are recommended when conditions are icy. The valley is rather flat, so I understand the desire to use lighter equipment, and it also depends if your focus is the trip or skiing. You are much more dependent on conditions with lighter equipment though, but there are many other trips that it will be well suited for. I think Voile Switchback and Garmont Excursion might have been the best compromise for the steepest tours before reverting to NTN or similar, but Andrews St.Moritz/Artico - https://www.gamletorvetsport.no/fjellsk ... 8vler-75mm or possibly Fischer Transnordic may be the closest you can get with current boots. I would much prefer a molded rubber sole with waterproofing rand, but what I have read and tested on a few models in shops are that the molded soles are soft torsional so it seems it will be a compromise either way.

I'm still hoping for a lighter and better touring NTN boot which I'd choose with Meidjo for such trips, but I have been waiting for some years now. We'll also see how far Xplore can push it and how much it can narrow the gap to an eventual future NTN boot. I'm still a bit bummed that the option for cable was left out on Xplore and a closed system does not promote development. I have decided to try having just NTN and Xplore though, and drop 75mm which I never thought I'd do.

TheMusher
Ski style: Telemark / BC / Nordic sled

Post by TheMusher » Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:10 am

telerat wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:36 am
Utemagasinet has a test of the Lundhags Guide BC, see:
https://www.utemagasinet.no/fjellski/fj ... b5cdf1368c
They rates it at 10/10 and there is both stability, comfort and user friendliness. I assume the recommendation of wire-bindings and not 3-pin for 75mm version is to avoid the problem of the front splitting open like on earlier Alpina Alaska 75.
Sounds very interesting. Here is a highlight from a review of its predecessor, (Lundhags Husky) written by a highly experienced telemark instructor:

The boot combines extreme stability without chafing, waterproofness as well as very good breathing and drying properties. I did not miss a second of plastic shoes after a lot of lively downhill skiing, and I have never experienced my feet so dry and comfortable after a full day in ski boots.

A strong testimony. To me, this sounds like a different beast than most leather boots around - and as close you can get to a T4 without going plastic? No clue what the Swedes needs this for though ;)

Source: https://www.utemagasinet.no/fjellski/fj ... llskituren.
telerat wrote:
I'm still hoping for a lighter and better touring NTN boot which I'd choose with Meidjo for such trips, but I have been waiting for some years now. We'll also see how far Xplore can push it and how much it can narrow the gap to an eventual future NTN boot.
I'd be the first in line for this boot, but I might have to fight for that spot :D Curious how challenging it really is for Scarpa to adapt a light/mid-weight AT boot to TTS/NTN. Doesn't have to be anywhere near perfection to be an improvement over the current options out there.. May be forces (literally) in place that I don't understand.

Is your thinking that your new Xplore will fill the role of your former 75mms - including light alpine - up to areas where NTN is more appropriate?
Last edited by TheMusher on Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheMusher
Ski style: Telemark / BC / Nordic sled

Post by TheMusher » Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:13 am

jyw5 wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:45 pm
You are right about the Voile skis I suggested. especially in 177cm, they are very wide. I had forgotten that they get wider with length. Another alternative is the Nosi 76 with your choice of bindings/boots. I am personally looking at these with NNN BC to replace my Fischer S112 eventually. So it depends if you are willing to go narrower.
Right! Even if I retain my NTN rig, I think Nosi 76 (maybe just maybe Rabb 68) is the floor here.

While we're talking skis; Have anyone tested the Volkl touring skis? Rise Up82/Above88/Beyond96.

jyw5

Post by jyw5 » Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:53 am

TheMusher wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:13 am
jyw5 wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:45 pm
You are right about the Voile skis I suggested. especially in 177cm, they are very wide. I had forgotten that they get wider with length. Another alternative is the Nosi 76 with your choice of bindings/boots. I am personally looking at these with NNN BC to replace my Fischer S112 eventually. So it depends if you are willing to go narrower.
Right! Even if I retain my NTN rig, I think Nosi 76 (maybe just maybe Rabb 68) is the floor here.

While we're talking skis; Have anyone tested the Volkl touring skis? Rise Up82/Above88/Beyond96.
Volkl has always made good skis. My AT setup are Volkl BMT 92. I have put in long hours on multiday tours with those. I havent felt the need to upgrade to a newer pair. They don't turn as well as my resort skis -- Rossignol S7 but that's to be expected...those are very heavy and wide and only recommended for touring for very heavy skiiers.

The 82 most likely has the better performance on crust and ice vs. 88 and 96. Choosing one of these greatly depend on your average snow conditions. My BMT 92 are 30% heavier than the newer line of skis but they have better stability and perform better on powder and crud than these new lighter skis. They also do surprisingly well on boilerplate snow and down icefalls. If you are skiing good conditions most of the time, you probably just pick the lightest ski possible.

spopepro

Post by spopepro » Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:58 am

telerat wrote:
I'm still a bit bummed that the option for cable was left out on Xplore and a closed system does not promote development.
Not to mention no welts on the heel for crampons either. That they would make an "adventure" oriented system that you can't use a semi-auto crampon with? Bummed was what I felt too after hearing their original design goals and seeing what we ended up with.

spopepro

Post by spopepro » Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:11 pm

TheMusher wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:10 am

I'd be the first in line for this boot, but I might have to fight for that spot :D Curious how challenging it really is for Scarpa to adapt a light/mid-weight AT boot to TTS/NTN. Doesn't have to be anywhere near perfection to be an improvement over the current options out there.. May be forces (literally) in place that I don't understand.
There's been a few prototypes floating out there in the wild and I think everyone is confident Scarpa *can* make it. Whether they will or not remains to be seen. The major hold-up at this point is that bindings are in flux. It's likely that pins+duckbill is probably the future, but does it also need an NTN toe welt? Is the dynafit pattern the right for the pins for a tele pin system? Does it need the options for heel cables? Heel pins (and if heel pins, how to keep the forefoot supported when the heel is locked)? Last I heard was that Scarpa wanted the dust to settle a bit and know where the future of NTN/TeleTech is actually moving. And I personally think we won't see the weight savings of an F1, but it will end up being a maestrale type boot.

telerat
Ski style: Telemark, backcountry nordic and cross country skiing.
Favorite Skis: Any ski suitable for telemark or backcountry skiing, with some side-cut for turning.
Favorite boots: Scarpa plastic telemark. Asolo and Alfa leather boots.

Post by telerat » Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:17 pm

TheMusher wrote:
Here is a highlight from a review of its predecessor, (Lundhags Husky). ...
To me, this sounds like a different beast than most leather boots around - and as close you can get to a T4 without going plastic? No clue what the Swedes needs this for though ;)
Lundhags Husky 75 looks to have a more solid and traditional sole than the molded one on Guide 75, but both are still interesting boots. Just waiting for an Xplore version :-P
TheMusher wrote:
Is your thinking that your new Xplore will fill the role of your former 75mms - including light alpine - up to areas where NTN is more appropriate?
This is my hope, but it depends on a much better touring NTN boot to cover the role of low 75 mm plastic boots with cable bindings, and then Xplore be able to fill the rest hopefully with the hard flex and boots with strong ankle support ala Alfa Free. This remains to be seen and will take some time anyway.

consular_ship
Ski style: squid

Post by consular_ship » Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:38 am

newbie here chiming in to report that the transnordics do indeed fit (and stay in) in a switchback x2 binding (size 42, short rods, 169 sbound 112). i tour for turns in steep, unglaciated valleys and goat prairies in the driftless area and it should be a decent set up for powder days (t2s for when it’s crusty or icy). ymmv, hope this helps

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:46 am

consular_ship wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:38 am
newbie here chiming in to report that the transnordics do indeed fit (and stay in) in a switchback x2 binding (size 42, short rods, 169 sbound 112). i tour for turns in steep, unglaciated valleys and goat prairies in the driftless area and it should be a decent set up for powder days (t2s for when it’s crusty or icy). ymmv, hope this helps
Thanks, that's good to know. Have you ever tried any other boot in a SB besides plastic?