Leather boot set up with best downhill control?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
fgd135
Ski style: Yes, sometimes.
Favorite Skis: Most of them
Favorite boots: Boots that fit

Re: Leather boot set up with best downhill control?

Post by fgd135 » Wed May 25, 2022 1:25 pm

JB TELE wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 11:14 pm
My plan is to mostly ski on much skinner skis, but I still want something in my quiver for deep powder days. <>I'm ok with skiing conservatively and making lots of traverses and stopping turns rather than going fast and making tight s-turns.
Well, give it a try! FWIW, though, I would try the absolute lightest of the wide skis and in as short a length as possible for your ht and wt., in order to wrestle as much control as possible with the leathers. Traversing and step turns will not necessarily be the only option, though, sometimes the easiest turns in powder are down the fall line!
"To me, gracefulness on skis should be the end-all of the sport" --Stein Eriksen

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Wed May 25, 2022 7:08 pm

I ski an Alico Ski March, which I assume has a sole flex or stiffness if you prefer similar to an Alico Double, however with a lower cuff. I ski a Tindan 86 (86 mm underfoot) with the Ski March in powder. While 86 mm underfoot like the Voile Objective, but a stiffer ski, so kind of between an Objective and a Vector?
I ski powder quite easily in the Ski March / Tindan combo. If it were mank, I would break out the T-4.
I believe you can expect similar results with an Alico Double, and a Voile Vector in powder. I also expect the use of a plastic boot would be more essential with the wider Vector.

JB TELE

Post by JB TELE » Thu May 26, 2022 1:17 am

fisheater wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 7:08 pm
I ski an Alico Ski March, which I assume has a sole flex or stiffness if you prefer similar to an Alico Double, however with a lower cuff. I ski a Tindan 86 (86 mm underfoot) with the Ski March in powder. While 86 mm underfoot like the Voile Objective, but a stiffer ski, so kind of between an Objective and a Vector?
I ski powder quite easily in the Ski March / Tindan combo. If it were mank, I would break out the T-4.
I believe you can expect similar results with an Alico Double, and a Voile Vector in powder. I also expect the use of a plastic boot would be more essential with the wider Vector.
I've heard that are very stiff because of the liner, more so than some other alicos. But I'll have to wait and see when they arrive. I'm going to see if I can fit my t4 liners or a really thin skimo liner in there.

s_k_i_
Ski style: #dropkneesnotbombs

Post by s_k_i_ » Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:44 am

Just delivered a pair of Madshus Panorama M68 in 192. I’m going to pair these with a Rottefella Super Tele binding and my Alico leathers. I love my leathers and my 210 Karhu’s at about 60+, what if that ski could carve a little better? I learned last year leathers can’t get over on edge with a wider ski, it’s painful, and I want a scaled ski for the quiver. I plan on using these for ungroomed and groomed XC trails to the lift serve at the resort here in Northern Michigan. I found a pair of T4s to add another option and so I can utilize other 75mm skis.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:00 pm

Consider the Rotte ST with cable. The cable will help compress the bellows on the T4, and add longitudinal stiffness with the leather boot. I skied a Fischer S-112 for several seasons at a northern MI resort. You can ski the blacks, but those laminated hollow spot cores don’t inspire confidence when the base is firm. I did it for several seasons, however I don’t want to do it again. A few years is plenty time to buy more gear, or find more backcountry spots to ski on God’s snow!

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:43 am

Just some thoughts on Leather boots....Conditions are important....If in powder bout any leather boot will work and the more comfortable the better....If your going to use them on lift served you might want a bit stiffer leather boot....Since I rarely if ever hit a lift I try to find the softest and flexible boot that I can find.....Again in powder they FEEL great....or put another way they don't feel at all....As of now my most flexible is an ole Merril lace up boot with total softness and flexibility.....If I head to the Ski area.....if.....I still have some Andrews double buckle leathers that worked well. Just hard to surrender to lifts when we have thousands of acres of hills and old mountains that cry......ski me!!!!! The thing about light leathers is they should be skied with equipment that really works well with the boots....For me and my Tele time that means light skinny double cambered skis....This stuff is not made for ski areas but can do the job in powder or great corn.....Teleking and Telekid are pretty much there also but the Kid does experiment with what your talking about here.....For me the thrill of this kind of equipment powdering through great Hardwood steeps, or low angle sliding is pretty much beyond description....Arc on summer boys!!!! TM