Physics debate

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
mca80
Ski style: Over the river and through the woods
Favorite Skis: Nansen, Finnmark, Kongsvold, Combat NATO, Fischer Superlite, RCS
Favorite boots: Crispi Bre, Hook, Alpina 1600, Alico Ski March, Crispi Mountain

Re: Physics debate

Post by mca80 » Wed Jan 11, 2023 2:48 pm

Drinking game: anytime "force" is mentioned. I forgot what happened the past 8 pages.

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Wed Jan 11, 2023 2:53 pm

Who the fuck cares if it’s transmits or creates. This is a ski forum not a science forum. The important thing to know is, when you lift your heel you are loading the front of the ski. This effects your skiing by increasing the length of your effective edge.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Wed Jan 11, 2023 2:54 pm

@Stephen I’m glad you made it to the point I was when I declared “Liar, liar, pants on fire!”
Of course you were much more polite.

DG99

Post by DG99 » Wed Jan 11, 2023 3:12 pm

Stephen wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 2:20 pm
I haven’t caught up with the last 3 pages of this, but have to say that where a lot of this is getting hung up is that people (except one) are saying that the:
Cable creates force.

We all know what this means, even though we also know, if we stop to think of it, that the cable, itself, does not creat force, it transmits force or energy.

So, if you all (minus 1) will correct yourselves, and stop saying CREATES, when what you mean is TRANSMITS, maybe we can move on.
:lol:
That seems to be it. And of course when someone says creates force it’s understood, it’s not like the cable is a motor or something!

But…. also GS seems to have some real misunderstandings, e.g., maybe doesn’t know that the cable on a tele binding resists your heel lifting up, like this:
The cable is not a lever. The only thing that might qualify as a fulcrum is its attachment point to the binding. But that attachment point freely rotates, so there is no leverage.
Weird!

Stephen
Ski style: Aspirational
Favorite Skis: Armada Tracer 118 (195), Gamme (210), Ingstad (205), Objective BC (178)
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance, Scarpa TX Pro
6’3” / 191cm — 172# / 78kg, size 47 / 30 mondo

Post by Stephen » Wed Jan 11, 2023 3:18 pm

DG99 wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 3:12 pm
Stephen wrote:
I haven’t caught up with the last 3 pages of this, but have to say that where a lot of this is getting hung up is that people (except one) are saying that the:
Cable creates force.

We all know what this means, even though we also know, if we stop to think of it, that the cable, itself, does not creat force, it transmits force or energy.

So, if you all (minus 1) will correct yourselves, and stop saying CREATES, when what you mean is TRANSMITS, maybe we can move on.
That seems to be it. And of course when someone says creates force it’s understood, it’s not like the cable is a motor or something!

But…. also GS seems to have some real misunderstandings, e.g., maybe doesn’t know that the cable on a tele binding resists your heel lifting up, like this:
The cable is not a lever. The only thing that might qualify as a fulcrum is its attachment point to the binding. But that attachment point freely rotates, so there is no leverage.
Weird!
Yes, both.

GrimSurfer
Ski style: Nordic Backcountry
Favorite Skis: Yes
Favorite boots: Uh huh

Post by GrimSurfer » Wed Jan 11, 2023 3:19 pm

DG99 wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 3:12 pm
Stephen wrote:
Cable creates force.

Weird!
Resistance is not the same as leverage.

You can create resistance any number of ways (friction, compression etc).

Leverage requires a lever and a fulcrum.
Last edited by GrimSurfer on Wed Jan 11, 2023 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We dreamed of riding waves of air, water, snow, and energy for centuries. When the conditions were right, the things we needed to achieve this came into being. Every idea man has ever had up to that point about time and space were changed. And it keeps on changing whenever we dream. Bio mechanical jazz, man.

Stephen
Favorite Skis: Armada Tracer 118 (195), Gamme (210), Ingstad (205), Objective BC (178)

Post by Stephen » Wed Jan 11, 2023 3:20 pm

lowangle al wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 2:53 pm
Who the fuck cares if it’s transmits or creates. This is a ski forum not a science forum. The important thing to know is, when you lift your heel you are loading the front of the ski. This effects your skiing by increasing the length of your effective edge.

Don’t let it raise your blood pressure, man!

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Wed Jan 11, 2023 3:24 pm

And in round 15, we have
GrimSurfer wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 3:19 pm
Against anyone who will step into the ring….
:lol: :roll: :twisted:
:mrgreen: :o

CwmRaider
Ski style: XC-(D) tinkerer
Favorite Skis: Åsnes FT62 XP, Børge Ousland
Occupation: Very precise measurements of very small quantities.

Post by CwmRaider » Wed Jan 11, 2023 3:26 pm

mca80 wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 2:48 pm
Drinking game: anytime "force" is mentioned. I forgot what happened the past 8 pages.
I like this idea. I can be broke and forget about it at the same time.
The entire Star Wars film series has the word "Force" 161 times. Did we beat it?

CwmRaider
Ski style: XC-(D) tinkerer
Favorite Skis: Åsnes FT62 XP, Børge Ousland
Occupation: Very precise measurements of very small quantities.

Post by CwmRaider » Wed Jan 11, 2023 3:27 pm

Stephen wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 3:24 pm
And in round 15, we have
GrimSurfer wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 3:19 pm
Against anyone who will step into the ring….
:lol: :roll: :twisted:
:mrgreen: :o
Resistance is futile!
This is futile!
No it isn't!