Xplore & the advantages of stiff stole for XC

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
TheMusher
Ski style: Telemark / BC / Nordic sled

Re: Xplore & the advantages of stiff stole for XC

Post by TheMusher » Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:22 am

Johnny wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:18 am
Tom M wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:01 am
Most people know what the term Full Monty means, now I propose a new term, Full Johnny. It has a great ring to it and not derogatory in any fashion. So when someone asks you how the skiing was today you can reply "Amazing, I went Full Johnny" and don't explain it. It will be a telemark talk secret. :)

No cables, no flexors, no helmets, no clothes. 8-)
How about Free Johnny?
Kind of like that film, what’s it called.. Free Willy!

I’m inspired, can’t lie.
Last edited by TheMusher on Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:23 am

GrimSurfer wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:16 am
I think it speaks to where skiers can take their proficiency instead of playing equipment “whack-a-mole” by continually mixing and matching bindings, flexors, bumpers, cables, rods, boots, and unorthodox waxing.
Johnny has probably skied more different gear than anybody, but he has a dh focus. You will never be a proficient tele skier if your focus is xc. It takes commitment.

lowangle al
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:27 am

All you need is weight on the ski and edge control, I do need clothes though.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:38 am

lowangle al wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:27 am

All you need is weight on the ski and edge control, I do need clothes though.
I need clothes, ski downhill better with a cable, and keep seriously thinking about a helmet in the trees.
Being free is a state of mind, and spirit.

mca80
Ski style: Over the river and through the woods
Favorite Skis: Nansen, Finnmark, Kongsvold, Combat NATO, Fischer Superlite, RCS
Favorite boots: Crispi Bre, Hook, Alpina 1600, Alico Ski March, Crispi Mountain

Post by mca80 » Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:56 am

Johnny wrote:
People stuck in the past and older technology will never be able to see and even apprehend new innovations and progress, blinded by their own ignorance and their retarded last millennium beliefs.
There are many reasons to prefer older technologies and this doesn't preclude apprehension of new innovations. Some examples: cheaper; durable (new innovations haven't withstood the test of time precisely because they are new); simpler; less dependent upon complex systems (it takes rudimentary knowledge to fix most things on a truck from the 60s, sometimes not even possible on today's trucks with all the computers); I could go on, but this should be sufficient to make the point that embracing every new advance isn't necessarily the best approach.

GrimSurfer
Ski style: Nordic Backcountry
Favorite Skis: Yes
Favorite boots: Uh huh

Post by GrimSurfer » Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:15 pm

lowangle al wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:23 am
GrimSurfer wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:16 am
I think it speaks to where skiers can take their proficiency instead of playing equipment “whack-a-mole” by continually mixing and matching bindings, flexors, bumpers, cables, rods, boots, and unorthodox waxing.
Johnny has probably skied more different gear than anybody, but he has a dh focus. You will never be a proficient tele skier if your focus is xc. It takes commitment.
Well, sure. That means the obverse is true… a DH focus will never be as proficient on a trail.

A certain amount of this IS equipment related. In a 10k race, the skier on a BC boot will crush anyone in a plastic boot. (And a plastic booted skier with a locked heel will have massively more control on a 10% or steeper grade.)

Low angles, mixed terrain? It’s a wash, so no sense playing whack-a-mole with gear. Just pick your setup and ski it… a lot.
We dreamed of riding waves of air, water, snow, and energy for centuries. When the conditions were right, the things we needed to achieve this came into being. Every idea man has ever had up to that point about time and space were changed. And it keeps on changing whenever we dream. Bio mechanical jazz, man.

GrimSurfer
Ski style: Nordic Backcountry
Favorite Skis: Yes
Favorite boots: Uh huh

Post by GrimSurfer » Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:25 pm

Johnny wrote:
People stuck in the past and older technology will never be able to see and even apprehend new innovations and progress, blinded by their own ignorance and their retarded last millennium beliefs.
Yup!

We all know that NN is 100 years old. NNN is 30+years old. Yet, there are some still “waiting” to see how NNN BC pans out. Or expressing shock that NN boots have duckbill splitting (this problem is older than me). Makes one shake their head when the lament is coming from an experienced skier.

I don’t really care what people ski but some of the reasons are nothing more than habit-reinforced bias without too much objective justification.
We dreamed of riding waves of air, water, snow, and energy for centuries. When the conditions were right, the things we needed to achieve this came into being. Every idea man has ever had up to that point about time and space were changed. And it keeps on changing whenever we dream. Bio mechanical jazz, man.

lowangle al

Post by lowangle al » Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:44 pm

If you know how to ski, you can ski them all. If you don't, you won't be able to ski any of them.

connyro
needs to take stock of his life
needs to take stock of his life

Post by connyro » Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:53 pm

lowangle al wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:44 pm
If you know how to ski, you can ski them all. If you don't, you won't be able to ski any of them.
x2

DG99

Post by DG99 » Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:55 pm

Ha ha…. I never have moved to NNNBC or NTN all these years! I have some reasons, partly just inertia though. I did however get into AT tech bindings, so light, and they release with DIN precision, pretty cool. Sorry, off topic.