Which Fischer ski for BCXC/XCD on firm/icy snow conditions?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Re: Which Fischer ski for BCXC/XCD on firm/icy snow conditions?

Post by fisheater » Mon Feb 13, 2023 5:23 pm

DG99 wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 3:29 pm

Does anybody actually use the Blue Klister what is for ice?
Yes, I use blue klister, and it works very well.

DG99

Post by DG99 » Mon Feb 13, 2023 6:38 pm

fisheater wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 5:23 pm
DG99 wrote:

I haven’t used klister for many years, last time had some universal klister, no matter how much I gooped on couldn’t quite keep up with the waxless people in the group. Icy trails. I collected a lot of pine needles and bits though. It’s really rare to use grip wax around here especially as the snow tends to cycle above and below freezing most days.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:56 pm

DG99 wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 6:38 pm
fisheater wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 5:23 pm
DG99 wrote:

I haven’t used klister for many years, last time had some universal klister, no matter how much I gooped on couldn’t quite keep up with the waxless people in the group. Icy trails. I collected a lot of pine needles and bits though. It’s really rare to use grip wax around here especially as the snow tends to cycle above and below freezing most days.
Those are tough conditions, I can usually wax or klister.

satanas

Post by satanas » Tue Feb 14, 2023 2:17 am

In my experience, no pattern will grip on actual ice or very firm, smooth crust: for that one needs skins, or else skating technique.

I have no idea what the current Åsnes patterns are like as their skis haven't been available here for many years but they used to have almost zero grip....

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Tue Feb 14, 2023 9:18 am

satanas wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 2:17 am
In my experience, no pattern will grip on actual ice or very firm, smooth crust
Generally agree with this!
I have no idea what the current Åsnes patterns are like as their skis haven't been available here for many years but they used to have almost zero grip....
I have the current Nansen WL (i.e. scaled ski)- it is a fairly effective scale design for XC skiing when the snow is ideal for scales (i.e. warm, wet, freeable), but not enough grip for effective climbing. The Asnes scale design is nowhere near as grippy as Fischer's Offtrack Crown.
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

satanas

Post by satanas » Tue Feb 14, 2023 4:11 pm

^ The Åsnes skis were always the first in a group to need skins, when others did not. The Skiathloms I had sort of gripped on the flat in good conditions, but uphill not so much; I did more skating than ideal on those skis. YMMV.

randoskier
Ski style: awkward
Favorite Skis: snow skis
Favorite boots: go-go

Post by randoskier » Tue Feb 14, 2023 4:43 pm

lilcliffy wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 9:18 am
satanas wrote:
I have the current Nansen WL (i.e. scaled ski)- it is a fairly effective scale design for XC skiing when the snow is ideal for scales (i.e. warm, wet, freeable), but not enough grip for effective climbing. The Asnes scale design is nowhere near as grippy as Fischer's Offtrack Crown.
Second that on the Offtrack Crown. The scales on my Fischer Excursion 88s are easily 3x as grippy as the scales on the Madshus Eon it replaced.

JB TELE

Post by JB TELE » Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:14 pm

lilcliffy wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:31 am
JB TELE wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:59 pm
Looking at asnes, they have skis with decent sidecut like my sbound 98 but in a skinner package. Maybe the nansen?
The Nansen has less camber and smoother, rounder flex than the other Asnes "Fjellskis" (e.g. Sverdrup/Ingstad/Combat Nato)- it is Asnes' traditional xcD or "telemark" touring ski. The Nansen is still quite stiff and stable and holds a fantastic edge on icy/hardpack snow. There is no equivalent to this ski in either the Fischer or Madshus Nordic ski lines.

Can't remember- Do you want/need a "waxless" scaled base?
You sold me. Just ordered one from neptune. I went one size (5cm) down for less camber and better downhill control.

I went with waxless. But of course I want full length skins as well for ascending refrozen corn. Any recommendations? I see a few options for skinny full length skins but can't really find reviews. Want something durable and I've heard that these high % mohair don't last as long?
These showed up on my search.

https://skimo.co/contour-cross-country- ... I8QAvD_BwE

https://www.skatepro.com/en-us/269-41572.htm
Last edited by JB TELE on Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.

JB TELE

Post by JB TELE » Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:15 pm

lilcliffy wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 9:18 am
satanas wrote:
I like the grip from the fischers but that's not the most important thing. I wonder if putting a small section of kick wax in front and behind the fish scales could help?

satanas

Post by satanas » Wed Feb 15, 2023 1:41 am

JB TELE wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:15 pm
I like the grip from the fischers but that's not the most important thing. I wonder if putting a small section of kick wax in front and behind the fish scales could help?
^ Not on ice. On other stuff maybe, but I'd be more inclined just to wax over the pattern, or else get the waxable version if you live somewhere the snow is always cold and dry. You should always glide wax every ski IMHO, but grip waxes are either wonderful, tolerable or a PITA depending on where you live and/or ski. Where I ski the snow rarely stays cold enough for long enough for grip waxing to be anything but frustrating, so waxless rules, supplemented by skins for ice or very steep climbs. However, if you live in say Colorado or Norway, grip waxing is much more likely to be viable - it depends!