Skis without metal edges recomendations

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Manney
needs to take stock of his life

Re: Skis without metal edges recomendations

Post by Manney » Wed Aug 23, 2023 10:12 pm

It’s all about matching the ski to conditions. In Cali, my go-to skis would all be waxless. Makes perfect sense.

Even in the mid west, it’s hard to justify the same wax more than two days in a row. We get swings all the time. Plus, the snow consolidates and crystals round off. It can be enough to drive a skier to the next wax up or down.
Go Ski

wabene
Ski style: Stiff kneed and wide eyed.
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Gamme, Fischer SB98, Mashus M50, M78, Pano M62
Favorite boots: Crispi Svartsen 75mm, Scarpa T4

Post by wabene » Wed Aug 23, 2023 10:47 pm

@Teleman73 The Mad 62 is 83 in the shovel and well to wide for the tracks. If your looking for a waxless patterned, affordable all around ski you could do worse, but you're not fitting in the tracks. The Finnmark is excellent as a waxable ski with a kicker skin attachment. At 68mm at the shovel you can fit in the tracks barely. The waxless version does not get good reviews. I have the Mad 50 with a 60mm shovel and ski it in the tracks sometimes, it does just fine but even that narrower ski is not ideal, especially in the corners. A skinny track ski or even touring ski would be faster.

A used pair of the discontinued Fisher Country Crown skis might just be what you are looking for and cheap.

The skis you mentioned that had binding plates may be good options. The plates are glued on and I'll bet they could be removed. Ask the ski tech at your local shop. This guy just planned the plastic plate off with a block plane, lol.
https://arcady.genkin.ca/2017/02/removi ... s-binding/
Seems crazy but maybe better than heating up the glue and risking the rest of the laminate. Of course it won't look great.
Good luck

Lhartley

Post by Lhartley » Wed Aug 23, 2023 11:16 pm

Maybe Scandinavia is just kinda.....flat

riel
Ski style: BC XC
Favorite Skis: Asnes Gamme, Ingstad & Støretind, Fischer Mountain Cross & E99
Favorite boots: Fischer BCX675

Post by riel » Wed Aug 23, 2023 11:58 pm

spopepro wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2023 5:33 pm
"not as good as fischer" is underselling it. I am finally in the acceptance stage of my WL ingstads. I first thought "this isn't as bad as people say" then "stupid *#&#$* skis herringbonning up every gd slope" to "maybe these actually are good for a very particular kind of tour" to "man, this sucks... shouldn't have done this" to "just don't buy asnes WL skis".
That's really interesting, considering I have waxless Ingstads as well, but they seem to go up almost everything.

Then again, I am on the heavy side even for 205cm Ingstads, and notice they glide considerably worse downhill than either my Gammes or Støretinds (even with 30mm skins attached).

Of course, with my weight the "glide" of Fischer skis is pretty terrible, with exception of some ~20 year old TN59 precursors with a mountain crown traction pattern. Those are stiff as rails, though.

spopepro

Post by spopepro » Thu Aug 24, 2023 2:48 am

riel wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2023 11:58 pm
spopepro wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2023 5:33 pm
"not as good as fischer" is underselling it. I am finally in the acceptance stage of my WL ingstads. I first thought "this isn't as bad as people say" then "stupid *#&#$* skis herringbonning up every gd slope" to "maybe these actually are good for a very particular kind of tour" to "man, this sucks... shouldn't have done this" to "just don't buy asnes WL skis".
That's really interesting, considering I have waxless Ingstads as well, but they seem to go up almost everything.

Then again, I am on the heavy side even for 205cm Ingstads, and notice they glide considerably worse downhill than either my Gammes or Støretinds (even with 30mm skins attached).

Of course, with my weight the "glide" of Fischer skis is pretty terrible, with exception of some ~20 year old TN59 precursors with a mountain crown traction pattern. Those are stiff as rails, though.
That is interesting. I’m 80kg and on 195 ingstads. I love my mr48 skin skis at 210. I do wonder now if asnes recommendations for the ingstad WL are a bit off. If anyone has a 185 they’d want to trade for a 195 I’d be down. Or maybe I just need to load a pack with 15kg and see how it goes.

P.s. apologies to OP for thread hijack.

Telerock
Ski style: Leather and wool-three pin
Favorite Skis: S-bounds; E-99s, razors
Favorite boots: Asolo extreme

Post by Telerock » Thu Aug 24, 2023 8:34 am

“they’ll understand the conditions and course better than some guy with a John Deere hat and bib overalls who drives a tractor in the off season.‘
I resemble that remark… but drive my tractor winter and summer. BTW bib overalls are great at keeping snow out…

Manney

Post by Manney » Thu Aug 24, 2023 8:54 am

Ha ha. Wasn’t talking about you, @Telerock. More of an allusion to a heavy equipment operator/farmer who has never skied but grooms trails as a side hustle ‘cause it’s just like plowing a field.
Go Ski

Teleman73

Post by Teleman73 » Thu Aug 24, 2023 11:47 am

Thanks for all the input everyone.

My concerns about the Asnes are not so much that they would require kick wax (I grew up matching wax to conditions and feel pretty comfortable with that) but I live in the SW and we have major temp swings and a lot of sun so unless it is actively sunny one wax often won't be the right one from the beginning of a ski to the end, and even just going in and out of shadows will go from klister slush to soft cold snow. Because of that I'm currently leaning towards a waxless ski.

I realized that the Madshus is too wide in the shovel after I posted that. It still is temping because when with my dog I won't be in the track anyways and that's the primary reason I'm planning on getting another pair of skis,

While the Fischers look pretty ideal from a ski standpoint those IFP plates are only compatible with Turnamic bindings which seems to get resoundingly poor reviews.

I've seen people scrape off the NIS plates like come on Alpinas, but I've never seen the IFP plates in person so don't know how they're glued on and if it would be feasible to remove them without too much work.

Nitram Tocrut
Ski style: Backyard XC skiing if that is a thing
Favorite Skis: Sverdrup and MT51
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska NNNBC

Post by Nitram Tocrut » Thu Aug 24, 2023 6:27 pm

Deleted post so we can stick to discussing skiing.
Last edited by Nitram Tocrut on Thu Aug 24, 2023 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Manney

Post by Manney » Thu Aug 24, 2023 6:39 pm

Deleted post to keep discussion on the topic of skiing.
Last edited by Manney on Thu Aug 24, 2023 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Go Ski