Skiing really long skis?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Capercaillie
Ski style: trying not to fall too much
Favorite Skis: Alpina 1500T, Kazama Telemark Comp
Favorite boots: Alfa Horizon, Crispi Nordland, Scarpa T4

Re: Skiing really long skis?

Post by Capercaillie » Fri Oct 20, 2023 1:44 pm

It's easy to see why people in the 1930s used long skis: they had one pair of skis for everything, including ski jumping (jumping skis today are around 250cm long), and slope grooming was very uncommon: https://web.archive.org/web/20150905080 ... it-started

For a similar flexing pair of simple wood-core skis, it is very apparent that the shorter pair turns easier. So what kept people from using shorter skis in the 1960s? I suspect the way technique was taught had a lot to do with it. Compare the contortions of the Arlberg technique in this 1960s film:

to Lito Tejada-Flores' videos (only 30 years later). How much benefit would people trying to do the former get from short skis? That is also probably the reason why people did not appreciate greater sidecut back then - they could not actually ski parabolic skis:
In the winter of 1948-49, DU racer Jerry Hiatt, who worked in Thor Groswold’s shipping department, got together with high schooler Jerry Groswold and proposed making a turnier slalom ski… This gave them roughly a 15mm sidecut, twice the normal depth. “We put the edges back on, and went up to Winter Park to try them out,” Groswold remembers. “They turned sensationally but wouldn’t stop turning. We got one long round turn, and a step turn, and another long round turn. We each made one run and went back to the factory and threw the skis in a corner. They probably became firewood.”
https://web.archive.org/web/20131204152 ... -ski-shape

I really do not buy the "technical advances in ski construction" argument. A lot of "technical advances" seem to be marketing BS that works on the placebo effect for people that do not know basic engineering principles. Most of the really important technical advancements in construction were prototyped by Howard Head in the 1940s. From what I understand, the two developments that made shorter skis work for racing was the introduction of sidecut tailored to the different racing disciplines (less skidding is faster), and the advancement in glide wax chemistry in the 1980s (makes the glide advantage of longer running surface less important). For alpine skis (where weight is ok) everything else was possible with 1970s technology. If you are interested in this topic, highly recommend listening to this interview with Jurij Franko, developer of the 1990s parabolic geometry at Elan: https://podcasts.apple.com/gy/podcast/j ... 0414971780

Maybe most important is the social factor. A lot of people seemed to get it into their heads that only 220cm skis were "real skis" and the longer skis you had, the cooler you were. There is a memorable scene Blizzard of Aahhh's about this, and that was as late as 1988:

corlay
Ski style: Woodland XC-BC tours
Favorite Skis: Asnes Gamme 54, Fischer Transnordic 66, Fischer Traverse 78; Madshus Birke Beiner, Peltonen METSA
Favorite boots: Crispi Norland Hook BC, Fischer BC Grand Tour

Post by corlay » Fri Oct 20, 2023 7:22 pm

well… This happened,
on the streets of Montreal, recently…

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Fri Oct 20, 2023 8:23 pm

I was 28 in 1988, those guys were the ones I tried to ski like. Yes, I had a pair of those black and white rear entry Solomon boots. ….and now you know why when people say my 196 cm FT X are kind of long I chuckle ;)!
I had Blizzard of Ahhhs on VHS and wore that tape out. I still have a license to thrill! (It’s always bad when you explain a joke, but that was another Greg Stump video from the day)

Manney
needs to take stock of his life
needs to take stock of his life

Post by Manney » Fri Oct 20, 2023 8:39 pm

corlay wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 7:22 pm
well… This happened,
on the streets of Montreal, recently…
Them’s some king-sized skis.

Long live the Empire!
Go Ski

Stephen
Ski style: Aspirational
Favorite Skis: Armada Tracer 118 (195), Gamme (210), Ingstad (205), Objective BC (178)
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance, Scarpa TX Pro
6’3” / 191cm — 172# / 78kg, size 47 / 30 mondo

Post by Stephen » Fri Oct 20, 2023 10:28 pm

Is this a Johnny sighting?

CIMA
Ski style: NNN-BC
Favorite Skis: Rossignol XP100
Favorite boots: Fischer BC GT

Post by CIMA » Sat Oct 21, 2023 2:33 am

Ref. THE EVOLUTION OF CARVING

During the early 1990s, the introduction of carving skis marked a significant turning point in the skiing industry. Skiing enthusiasts (up to middle level) were struggling with turning, and manufacturers, such as Elan, responded to this challenge by creating skis with a shorter turn radius. The introduction of such skis not only made the turning easier but also facilitated a reduction in ski length, thereby revolutionizing skiing as a commercial sport.

However, it is worth mentioning that the development of numerical-control (NC) machine tools and new materials were crucial factors in realizing the designs of these skis.
The flowing river never stops and yet the water never stays the same.

corlay
Ski style: Woodland XC-BC tours
Favorite Skis: Asnes Gamme 54, Fischer Transnordic 66, Fischer Traverse 78; Madshus Birke Beiner, Peltonen METSA
Favorite boots: Crispi Norland Hook BC, Fischer BC Grand Tour

Post by corlay » Sat Oct 21, 2023 11:46 am

Stephen wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 10:28 pm
Is this a Johnny sighting?
maybe… <wink>

wabene
Ski style: Stiff kneed and wide eyed.
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Gamme, Fischer SB98, Mashus M50, M78, Pano M62
Favorite boots: Crispi Svartsen 75mm, Scarpa T4