Breathable Mid Layer

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
wabene
Ski style: Stiff kneed and wide eyed.
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Gamme, Fischer SB98, Mashus M50, M78, Pano M62
Favorite boots: Crispi Svartsen 75mm, Scarpa T4

Re: Breathable Mid Layer

Post by wabene » Sun Oct 22, 2023 4:29 pm

Theme wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2023 3:47 pm
I have a hard time to take citations of a summary of a study conducted in 2008. Prior to that synthetics were not as advanced. Also, the results may or may not have any real-life applications. I would be very interested to see if there are any recent studies. Also to go through these studies to see how measurements were taken and how does it translate to actual use. Differences in fabric weights and loft etc should be taken into account, to ensure proper comparison. Does not sound like this is the case in this study.
[/quote]
This subject seems to have sparked quite the debate, lol. As far as I'm concerned everyone should wear whatever it is they are comfortable with.
I've done a little poking around on the subject today and there does appear to be conflicting information, it is the internet after all. We can all agree synthetic fibers are hydrophobic while wool fibers are hydrophilic. This just means wool fibers soak up water and synthetic fibers don't, they are plastic. That in essence is why synthetic fabric dries faster. Much engineering has been done to make plastic fibers and fabric structure mimic wool. In doing so some of the performance characteristics of synthetic fabric have surpassed wool. Ok. I have always felt clammy in fleece, but not in wool. I'm just more comfortable in wool. That Polartec Alpha fleece with it's fluffy and loosely woven structure does look like it would breathe better than the more basic Columbia and Kuhl fleece I've worn. Might be worth a try. I will say that my oldest merino wool zip up pullover is 20 years old and still is in fine condition.
Last edited by wabene on Mon Oct 23, 2023 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Manney
needs to take stock of his life

Post by Manney » Sun Oct 22, 2023 5:07 pm

Sunrise will apparently occur at 8:13 tomorrow in my town. Sounded sketchy to me. So reached out to NOAA for a scientific paper that backs up their prognosis. They responded right away!

Promised to deliver irrefutable proof before 8:14 tomorrow. Weird that they’re so precise. Makes me wonder if they’re just making this up. My bet is that they don’t even have a paper. Even if they do, who’s to say it’s right?
Go Ski

spopepro

Post by spopepro » Sun Oct 22, 2023 6:16 pm

Small correction: wool is both hydrophobic and hydrophilic, which is why it is particularly special as a natural fiber. The core is hydrophilic, which is both why it wicks and breathes, but also why it is difficult to dry. The outer sheath is hydrophobic, which is why it doesn’t need to be treated with DWR chemicals. I like it a lot… except for the weight and overnight concerns with drying.

mca80
Ski style: Over the river and through the woods
Favorite Skis: Nansen, Finnmark, Kongsvold, Combat NATO, Fischer Superlite, RCS
Favorite boots: Crispi Bre, Hook, Alpina 1600, Alico Ski March, Crispi Mountain

Post by mca80 » Sun Oct 22, 2023 7:13 pm

wabene wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2023 8:16 pm
If you don't like wool touching your torso, just use it for mid layers (OP ∆) and start with base layer of your liking. Of course wicking material is best, silk is good. Some like synthetics, but they get smelly. I just don't think fleece breathes like wool.
Fleece gets baaaad when wet. Also, I've owned one Patagucci synthetic base layer and when I biked 8 miles in it I litetally smelled like burnt onions, and from 10ft away. Find a wool that works to whoever posted about not liking wool touching, there is such a variety out there.

mca80
Ski style: Over the river and through the woods
Favorite Skis: Nansen, Finnmark, Kongsvold, Combat NATO, Fischer Superlite, RCS
Favorite boots: Crispi Bre, Hook, Alpina 1600, Alico Ski March, Crispi Mountain

Post by mca80 » Sun Oct 22, 2023 7:29 pm

fisheater wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2023 11:12 am
I am a big fan of wool, however I don’t own any merino wool underwear. I would like to have that wool underwear, but I can’t bring myself to pay for it.
Vigilence in checking overstock websites. Although still way, way more expensive than it used to be, you can still find "deals." I have these "wickers" brand half wool half acryllic boxer briefs that I got from sierratradingpost for $6 a pair 14 years ago or so, I don't know how many I bought but not enough because most are trashed by now. Used to be able to get smartwool or icebreaker boxers for $15 on clearance back in the day. Wish I had bought more of those too because hard to find for $20 now. Keep in mind if the moths don't get em, and you don't wear it, wool lasts forever (figuratively speaking in case some blowhard wants to dispute this statement).

Montana St Alum
Ski style: Old dog, new school
Favorite Skis: Blizzard Rustler 9/10
Favorite boots: Tx Pro

Post by Montana St Alum » Sun Oct 22, 2023 11:08 pm

Just in case there's any useful info in this.

Manney

Post by Manney » Sun Oct 22, 2023 11:31 pm

Makes sense. The Armadillo stuff is another level of expense but worth it if it works, which it probably does quite well.
Go Ski

Lhartley

Post by Lhartley » Sun Oct 22, 2023 11:39 pm

Assorted well worn northface tka. Money is best spent on diesel and car parts these days so the wardrobe is patchwork and neglected

Manney

Post by Manney » Mon Oct 23, 2023 8:55 am

It gets expensive, for sure.

Two base layers, two mids, three shells, two tights, two pants, and a few glove systems suitable for a place with deep temperature swings can easily exceed the cost of a pair of skis, poles, bindings, and boots.
Go Ski

Manney

Post by Manney » Mon Oct 23, 2023 9:25 am

Link for our Finnish friends, who have contributed so much to the sport and conversations around here…

https://svala.com/en/product/airbase-raglan-shirt/
Go Ski