ISO Xplore boot that is 'best' at downhill and available in USA (and possibly won't break the bank)

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
wabene
Ski style: Stiff kneed and wide eyed.
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Gamme, Fischer SB98, Mashus M50, M78, Pano M62
Favorite boots: Crispi Svartsen 75mm, Scarpa T4

Re: ISO Xplore boot that is 'best' at downhill and available in USA (and possibly won't break the bank)

Post by wabene » Fri Jan 05, 2024 3:40 am

Just a note but I have ordered from Telemark Pyrenees a couple of times and received my product in as little as i think 3 or 4 days. I just remember being shocked. All the way to Duluth. Of course returns are an expensive option.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Re: ISO Xplore boot that is 'best' at downhill and available in USA (and possibly won't break the bank)

Post by lilcliffy » Fri Jan 05, 2024 6:47 pm

Some notes- hopefully helpful-

The following boots offer similar support (from a downhill perspective) (and I either own or have owned the XP version- or its alternate equivalent):
- Alfa Free XP (currently own)
- Crispi Futura XP (currently own)
- Fischer Transnordic/Traverse (have owned the Transnordic)

Although I have not tested the Rossignol XP12 boot- have examined and worn it in the shop- it has gotta be close to those listed above in terms of support...

Although I have not tried the Alpina Pioneer Pro- have examined and worn it in the shop- it has gotta be less supportive than all of the above...(though it has a better Nordic/Telemark sole flex than some of them).

Purchase cost is one dimension of this deliberation- the build quality and potential durability is another.
IMO, both the Fischer and the Rossignol boots are made with very poor quality materials- though the Rossi may be durable; the Fischer is made with crap materials. The Fischer might work for you out of the box- but this boot is not made to last.
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

Kianga

Post by Kianga » Mon Jan 15, 2024 5:54 pm

As an aside, I second the comment re Telemark Pyrenees. I'm in Australia, and got a pair of Madshus Panorama M68 mounted with XPlore bindings faster than I would have expected from an Australian site.

Now a warning:- I bought a pair of Alpina Alaska XP boots. My XPlore skis are at the lightest end of my skis, and not meant to be a replacement for my Garmont Excursions and cables on Madshus Annams (Now Panorama M78). That said, I tried other boots on in the shop(s). Despite all using the standard Rottefella soles, the comfortable sizes varied between Eu42 and Eu44 for Alpha and Alpina. I tried a couple of models of Alpha and thought they were quite high volume boots. Alpha Free were not yet in Australia at the time. My first boots many decades ago were Alpha, so I had some affection for Alphas, but didn't end up buying them. I'd worry about buying XPlore boots I hadn't tried on.

Nickster

Post by Nickster » Sat Jan 20, 2024 8:35 am

I want to thank everyone for the their insightful information on systems I am currently exploring. I am new to telemark talk, but certainly not new to the world of BC skiing. I ski almost everyday in season with a mix of lift served, alpine touring, groomed trail and BC exploring. Lately I have been using my NNNBC system with Alpina Alaska boots for off track near my home. I find the system wanting for good downhill control in the deep snow on steeper sections in the trees, but I don't want to use my AT setup or very old tele system. The tele setups are too heavy and clunky and the AT is too fiddly for rolling terrain. I love the simplicity of scaled skis and kicker skins.
I am considering getting an explore system , perhaps the Alfa Free boots. I have had problems with the Fischer boots flexing in the wrong place and killing my toes. Do the Alpha's have the same problem? I have a fairly high volume foot. I have heard the Alpha's are good for this? Do you think the explore system and Alpha boot combo is a serious step up in control, but not much of a step down in touring from the NNNBC? I like to ski down fairly steep terrain (20-30°, just avoiding highest avy potential) I live an hour from any retailers( local ski area and shop has nothing) and don't get down there much so am hoping for some wisdom from those in the know.