Safety of higher stiff boots with NNN BC bindings

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
wells-minn

Safety of higher stiff boots with NNN BC bindings

Post by wells-minn » Fri Oct 04, 2024 8:38 am

How risky is it to ski intermediate groomer slopes in stiff boots, like the Fischer BCX Transnordic, and NNN BC bindings? What would be the most common sorts of injuries and how to minimize those risks?

This is my first post here - what a great resource. Thank you for your thoughts!

In my teens through 30s I skied black diamond runs in the mountains. The last decades I've skied the flats and back country here in Minnesota with only an occasional telemark turns on gentle slopes. I have Rossignol BC 80 skis and Rossignol XC-5 boots. I am looking at the higher stiff Fischer boots for XCD skiing, but am concerned about the consequences of falling in non-release bindings.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Re: Safety of higher stiff boots with NNN BC bindings

Post by fisheater » Sat Oct 05, 2024 10:32 am

Leather boots and NNN-BC bindings don’t make for a particularly stiff boot/ski connection. There is a lot of flexibility in that configuration. Injury is always a possibility, and frankly there is a percentage of people that don’t possess the ability to fall well. I’m not being critical, all humans have their strengths and weaknesses. There are just people that can get hurt in a rubber room. If you are reasonably good at falling, the risk of injury is quite minimal. If you are safe in your softer Rossignol boots, you shouldn’t have any problems in the Transnordic boot. While it should offer a big upgrade in downhill control, in reality the boot binding configuration doesn’t change. There is a lot of flex in the binding range of motion, and the rubber sole of the boot. The leather upper also has a lot of flex.

wells-minn

Post by wells-minn » Sat Oct 05, 2024 11:35 am

Thank you, @fisheater! Not to tempt fate, but in my alpine skiing days I had a tremendous amount of practice falling - in moguls, ice, slush and some powder. Hopefully my old tactic of instantly flexing my knees and getting the skis off the snow will serve on groomers in BCDish gear.

Though the flexibility in the NNN-BC configuration makes for less stability, maybe that flexibility adds marginal protection once control is lost?

New to the XCD world, I would be interested in the best ways to avoid injury. I imagine the old precautions apply: Don't ski too fast for conditions or tackle slopes beyond your ability.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Sat Oct 05, 2024 1:35 pm

wells-minn wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2024 11:35 am
Thank you, @fisheater

Though the flexibility in the NNN-BC configuration makes for less stability, maybe that flexibility adds marginal protection once control is lost?

Yes, 100 percent absolutely. The flexibility of the system adds much more than marginal protection in a fall. It also sounds like you know how to fall. You should be fine. I’m sure after you fall a couple times you will feel comfortable in regards to your safety.

Inspiredcapers
Ski style: Erratic
Favorite Skis: Gammes currently at the top of the list
Favorite boots: Transnordics in NNN-BC & 75mm

Post by Inspiredcapers » Sat Oct 05, 2024 2:30 pm

The Transnordic inspires confidence on easy descents but it still has a lot of flexibility when things go sideways so caution is urged. I used mine on forestry service roads, single track, and the occasional blue groomer if its not icy. Feel kinda heavy after a long day of breaking trail.

wells-minn

Post by wells-minn » Sat Oct 05, 2024 10:07 pm

Inspiredcapers wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2024 2:30 pm
The Transnordic inspires confidence on easy descents but it still has a lot of flexibility when things go sideways so caution is urged. I used mine on forestry service roads, single track, and the occasional blue groomer if its not icy. Feel kinda heavy after a long day of breaking trail.
Thank you for relating your experience. That is exactly what I have in mind. For long treks, I have the Rossignol XC-5 NNN-BC boots - lighter and comfier. In search of moderate downhill slopes for tele turns, I plan on wearing the Fischer BCX Transnordic boots.

timpete

Post by timpete » Sun Oct 06, 2024 12:46 am

I’ve done several lift-served mountain resort days on NNN-BC. You get some funny looks in lift lines.

For me, and probably for most here, you automatically watch speed more closely and ski a bit more conservative with any ski that doesn’t release. I don’t think a lighter binding is any more “injury prone” than any other gear set mainly because as a skier you just push more supportive gear faster and harder.

timpete

Post by timpete » Sun Oct 06, 2024 12:50 am

Oh and I would get a red flexor set. Provides a nice bit more resistance than standard black flexors to help encourage telemark stance (but still a lot more tricky than pins + cables ).

phoenix
Ski style: My own
Favorite Skis: Varies,I've had many favorites
Favorite boots: Excursions, T1's

Post by phoenix » Sun Oct 06, 2024 6:26 pm

I think it's highly unlikely that set-up would pose any more risk than most any non-releasable free heel binding, and less than many. My biggest concern of injury these days is out of control yahoos loose on the hill.

Inspiredcapers
Ski style: Erratic
Favorite Skis: Gammes currently at the top of the list
Favorite boots: Transnordics in NNN-BC & 75mm

Post by Inspiredcapers » Thu Oct 10, 2024 7:20 pm

Found this discussion from several years ago, made some interesting points…

https://telemarktalk.com/viewtopic.php?t=976