75mm bindings on 50mm skis?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Teleman73

75mm bindings on 50mm skis?

Post by Teleman73 » Tue Oct 15, 2024 1:19 am

I'm looking at getting a new pair of skis. I've been going back and forth on what to get, but just saw today that a local shop has some new old stock Madshus T50s (the white ones that didn't have the breaking issues) for 170 dollars. The other ski I'm considering is the Fischer Transnordic 66. Either of these will fit me needs pretty well and are a good match for the ski my partner will be on so we'll be well matched when skiing together. Anyways, I've got 75mm boots and will be using these in either ski. I feel like it should be fine even on the skinnier T50s (That seems pretty similar to all the old stuff I grew up skiing on), but I'm also nervous that it will be too narrow to mount and I shouldn't get the T50s and should pay the extra money for the transnordics just for the binding interface. Is anyone running 75mm NN bindings on ~50mm underfoot skis?

telerat
Ski style: Telemark, backcountry nordic and cross country skiing.
Favorite Skis: Any ski suitable for telemark or backcountry skiing, with some side-cut for turning.
Favorite boots: Scarpa plastic telemark. Asolo and Alfa leather boots.

Re: 75mm bindings on 50mm skis?

Post by telerat » Tue Oct 15, 2024 7:03 am

I would not go 75 mm on Madshus T50, but either regular NNN with a combi boot or NNN-BC. We use such a NNN setup on our Åsnes MR48 and Fischer TN59 skis. On our wider skis we have switched from 75mm to Xplore on our old Fischer E99, Fischer E109, and Åsnes Rago, as well as using Xplore on my new Åsnes Ousland and our new Falketind skis.

On Fischer TN66 (or Madshus T55 and similar skis) any binding system will work. If skiing partly in tracks (prepared or other skiers), a plate might be a good idea with 75mm to increase distance from snow. I have no experience with the Madshus skis, but my wife's old Fischer E99 is a very all-round ski, suitable for both distance and turns.

Capercaillie
Ski style: trying not to fall too much
Favorite Skis: Alpina 1500T, Kazama Telemark Comp
Favorite boots: Alfa Horizon, Crispi Nordland, Scarpa T4

Post by Capercaillie » Tue Oct 15, 2024 2:32 pm

The rear 2 mounting holes for Rottefella ST and Voile Mountaineer/201 are 25mm center-to-center. This is the same as older 75mm bindings and works fine on 50mm skis. I have 75mm on 52mm waist skis (I actually switched those back to 75mm from the 2nd mount NNN the owner before had "upgraded" - I feel 75mm is better for rock skis because it is much better at hiking and not collecting/jamming with snow).

The TN66 is only 54mm at the waist, so not much wider, but you might hit one of the "Air Tec" voids in the core when mounting (I did in one hole when mounting mine with NNN-BC; not sure why that happened with one ski and not the other); I don't think TN66 gives any better of a mounting interface. IMO the T50 is going to be more versatile because it will fit in tracks better. Part of the reason I am trading my TN66 for an E89 this upcoming season.

If you are planning to skate, NNN or NNN-BC with stiffer flexors is going to work better.

telerat
Ski style: Telemark, backcountry nordic and cross country skiing.
Favorite Skis: Any ski suitable for telemark or backcountry skiing, with some side-cut for turning.
Favorite boots: Scarpa plastic telemark. Asolo and Alfa leather boots.

Post by telerat » Wed Oct 16, 2024 3:49 am

Good comments by Capercaillie. You can mount 75mm on any of the skis, but you have to decide if it fits your use case, as you say nothing about what type of skiing you do and where.

Our old E99 and E109 had a slightly raised binding mounting area and gave secure feel when I remounted then with Xplore, but I have no experience with the new Fischer TN66, nor Madshus T50. My wife's old Åsnes Rago felt rather weak when remounting, but my Åsnes Ousland and Falketind gave a much more solid impression.

T50/TN59/MR48 skis are nice if your tours are in a mix of prepared tracks and firm snow with focus on distance. Then I would choose a narrower binding to avoid it scraping the sides of tracks, Both my sister's family and mine have chosen NNN with combi boots, as as well as skate boots, for this application. 75mm would also work well if you do not ski in prepared tracks, but NNN-BC or regular NNN feels like a better match to me. If money is tight, lowest total cost is important and optimal less so. Such skis would also work for skating if you do that on part of your tours, but if skating is the focus I would go for a dedicated ski and matching boots.

TN66, T55 and Ousland turn better and are better all-round skis than the above. The usually have softer and wider tips that float, follow the terrain and turn better. They fit in prepared tracks too, but not as well as those above due to wider ski tips. My wife used her E99 for many years with 75mm and loved it.

If your skiing is entirely out of prepared tracks and softer snow I would personally go for a wider ski like Fischer TN82/Traverse 78/Excursion 88, Madshus M68/M62 or Åsnes Ingstad/Sverdrup. It also depends on what boots you have, and if your focus is on turns, distance or a combination.

Binding system seems very much a personal preference. I was never too fond of hiking in 75mm boots, especially when using regular 3-pin bindings as the holes tended to fill up. I always made sure to clean the boots, usually in snow, but also in water if available, before entering the binding and starting skiing. The duckbill was also many times in the way when hiking, so switching to NTN and Xplore has been an upgrade there too. NNN and NNN-BC has issues with snow packing, both when entering the binding and when skiing. 75mm is easier to enter, but also has issues with snow build up and boot jack. Xplore has been the best experience so far, but is not perfect either. Good luck and happy skiing.