Leather 3-pin for SB112?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
JB TELE

Re: Leather 3-pin for SB112?

Post by JB TELE » Sun Oct 20, 2024 12:55 am

Tom M wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2024 10:27 pm
Tom M wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2024 11:45 am
As of Oct 2024, the only 3 pin leathers available from REI or Backcountry.com is the Alpina Alaska 75
I missed one 75 mm boot when I searched backcountry.com this morning, the Fischer Transnordic
https://www.backcountry.com/fischer-bcx ... -boot-2022
They have a few sizes left. Fischer was also producing this boot in an Xplore version.

I have not seen or skied this boot, but I'm betting it has similar performance characteristics to the Fischer BCX 675 which was their previous generation of this class of boot, and that boot would work just fine with the SB112 for XCD skiing. I skied several generations of Fischer's heavy duty 75 mm boots over the years after my Merrell's bit the dust, and they tend to be pretty comfortable out of the box.
The Transnordic is a very burly boot. It's much burlier than any other boot Fischer has produced in recent years. The sole is very stiff and there is a bunch of plastic reinforcement laminated in the lower part of the boot.
It's in the same class as the Alfa Free, T4, or old school double leathers. It's an earn your turns in moderate terrain boot for telemark skiers who prefer leather.

Capercaillie
Ski style: trying not to fall too much
Favorite Skis: Alpina 1500T, Kazama Telemark Comp
Favorite boots: Alfa Horizon, Crispi Nordland, Scarpa T4

Re: Leather 3-pin for SB112?

Post by Capercaillie » Sun Oct 20, 2024 2:37 pm

stilltryin wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2024 1:46 am
Thanks for the comments.
I have not been keeping up with the leather 3-pin offerings. It looks like the Crispi Svartisen and Bre would also hit the mark for driving a SB 112 class. I recall reading here something about Lundhags, too -- I guess I should research those all a bit -- it would be good to know how the leathers might compare in weight to my T3's.
I purchased size 43 Crispi Bres for the upcoming season; on my postal scale (+-30g) one boot measures 970g. Size 26.5 Scarpa T4 is 1315g. Not sure how the Bre will break in, but when new, it is a lot stiffer than either of my very well broken-in NNN-BC boots, that I norpine 55-65mm skis with. Going to try the Bres out with 100-70-90 all-mountain skis from the late 1990s (thanks for the bindings @Lhartley!). The Bres are very well made boots, and if you have wide feet, you will probably like them.

Voile 201 don't have the attachment points for cables. @fisheater's advice about the Rottefella hardwires is excellent. You can use them with leather boots with the Rottefella STC, with plastic boots with a Voile 3 pin cable, and (with a little filing; the diameter is 1mm off) with the B&D TTS adapter plates (no idea how that will ski, yet).