Shoestring Bindings: Free the Toe?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Capercaillie
Ski style: trying not to fall too much
Favorite Skis: Alpina 1500T, Kazama Telemark Comp
Favorite boots: Alfa Horizon, Crispi Nordland, Scarpa T4

Re: Shoestring Bindings: Free the Toe?

Post by Capercaillie » Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:34 pm

Yvon Chouinard wrote:It was late spring and there had been a day of wet snow and rain followed by a couple of cold nights, so when going out over Shepherd Pass it was no surprise to find the north side a sheet of ice. No way was I going to even attempt traverses or kick turns on that 35° of smooth ice. I climbed down the rocks, paralleling the gully as far as I could, and was searching through my pack for something sharp and hard to scratch steps, when I looked up to see Parker with his 40 pound pack jump-turning down in perfect control. We all watched fairly aghast, when Paul stopped, looked down at his feet, and calmly announced that the bail on one of his experimental bindings had broken on one side. He pushed off again, this time being careful to keep the one ski on the ice so he didn't jump out of the binding.
From Chouinard's foreword to Paul Parker's Free-Heel Skiing.

Manney
needs to take stock of his life
needs to take stock of his life

Post by Manney » Wed Apr 26, 2023 2:03 pm

IMG_8795.jpeg
Go Ski

fgd135
Ski style: Yes, sometimes.
Favorite Skis: Most of them
Favorite boots: Boots that fit

Post by fgd135 » Wed Apr 26, 2023 2:47 pm

Great fun TG! And on what appears to be touring skis with very little sidecut! And in junk warm spring snow conditions!
You should make a point to try the same idea next winter in softer conditions and see if you have better control.

As an aside, some 3 pin bindings have slots in the vertical part of the wings so that a heel/toe loop can be improvised if the bail breaks. I've never skied with that myself, but I have helped rig up another skier's boot into his binding after his 3-pin boot sole cracked behind the pin line, all the way across and into the insole. He clamped his boot into the binding, even with the floppy sole. I looped cordage over the toebox, thru those slots, and then around behind the heel, a few times for good measure because the only cord available was an old nylon avi cord. But it sufficed.
"To me, gracefulness on skis should be the end-all of the sport" --Stein Eriksen

TallGrass

Post by TallGrass » Wed Apr 26, 2023 3:40 pm

Capercaillie wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:34 pm
Yvon Chouinard wrote:It was late spring and there had been a day of wet snow and rain followed by a couple of cold nights, so when going out over Shepherd Pass it was no surprise to find the north side a sheet of ice. No way was I going to even attempt traverses or kick turns on that 35° of smooth ice. I climbed down the rocks, paralleling the gully as far as I could, and was searching through my pack for something sharp and hard to scratch steps, when I looked up to see Parker with his 40 pound pack jump-turning down in perfect control. We all watched fairly aghast, when Paul stopped, looked down at his feet, and calmly announced that the bail on one of his experimental bindings had broken on one side. He pushed off again, this time being careful to keep the one ski on the ice so he didn't jump out of the binding.
From Chouinard's foreword to Paul Parker's Free-Heel Skiing.
Very 8-) :twisted:

Not sure what kind of bindings or skis he was on, nor how smooth the ice, but I've encountered similar steep-smooth-iced-over on my alpine where all the snow has been scraped off and down to ice (or the hockey-stop smooth's have melted and refroze) where you "make edges bite, with all yer might!"

Reminds me of doing this stuff around 1:26 on (first long day at resort with these, I've gotten a bit better at alpine-ing them). I did a half-day later and remember fighting to get them to edge going down Ramble On (next to Steel City terrain park at Monarch; see middle of trail map), though I'm sure Paul's conditions were much more... dramatic. 8-)
From: https://telemarktalk.com/viewtopic.php? ... 733#p58474

fgd135 wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2023 2:47 pm
Great fun TG! And on what appears to be touring skis with very little sidecut! And in junk warm spring snow conditions!
You should make a point to try the same idea next winter in softer conditions and see if you have better control.

As an aside, some 3 pin bindings have slots in the vertical part of the wings so that a heel/toe loop can be improvised if the bail breaks. I've never skied with that myself, but I have helped rig up another skier's boot into his binding after his 3-pin boot sole cracked behind the pin line, all the way across and into the insole. He clamped his boot into the binding, even with the floppy sole. I looped cordage over the toebox, thru those slots, and then around behind the heel, a few times for good measure because the only cord available was an old nylon avi cord. But it sufficed.
See video above for similar on Karhu Kodiak with partial edge (middle 3rd) and double camber. Fun fact: the same shoelaces were used as "leashes" for the Karhus in the video, girth hitched. I had to unknot the loop for the Rossi' "bindings".

"Touring skis"? Um, edgeless fishscales made for "thin" duckbills (REALLY had to press hard to them to snap and lock down on my Merrils).

All hail the Epoxy Rossi's!!! (that almost rhymes).
(Photo from and more at: https://telemarktalk.com/viewtopic.php? ... 420#p54032 )

I think this is what you describe...

Rodbelan wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:26 pm
Some guy send me a pair of those Rottefella Super Tele. And he was using them with Straps, to keep its boots tightly fit in the binding. I didn't know about the functionality of those slots on each side of the binding. Anyone knew? Here is a Image
And yeah, in hindsight a loop around the heel would have helped, but I don't know if the shoestrings were long enough for that. Any time I lifted my foot more than ... "twelve inches" off the ground, the ski just dangled like some odd windchime much to my and the videographer's amusement and chuckling at the sketch-factor! :lol: