XCD Skis for Midwest Terrain

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
BerryBlossom

Re: XCD Skis for Midwest Terrain

Post by BerryBlossom » Sun Jun 23, 2024 9:38 pm

Consider the Fischer Excursion 88 for better edge control on firmer snow. Aim for around 170cm length. Stick with NNNBC bindings for versatility. Upgrade from Whitewoods for better stability. Regarding the Chariot Ski Trailer, ensure your little one is warmly layered, and weight shifting might help with maneuvering on low-angle hills.

RandomDude

Post by RandomDude » Mon Jun 24, 2024 3:20 pm

BerryBlossom wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2024 9:38 pm
Consider the Fischer Excursion 88 for better edge control on firmer snow. Aim for around 170cm length. Stick with NNNBC bindings for versatility. Upgrade from Whitewoods for better stability. Regarding the Chariot Ski Trailer, ensure your little one is warmly layered, and weight shifting might help with maneuvering on low-angle hills.
That’s good to know. Thank you for that well-researched information.
It’s also good to make sure there is enough snow, to avoid damaging your skis.
There is no snow here, now.

BerryBlossom

Post by BerryBlossom » Sun Jun 30, 2024 11:01 pm

You seem well-immersed in the XCD realm! Considering the terrain and snow conditions in Southeast Wisconsin, the Fischer Excursion 88 and S-Bound 98 are excellent options. They both provide adaptability across various snow types and are well-suited for the region's undulating hills. The Excursion 88 offers enhanced maneuverability on gentler slopes, whereas the S-Bound 98 excels in providing superior flotation in deeper snow.

Choosing NNNBC bindings aligns with your requirements, offering greater control on harder, icier surfaces. Transitioning from leather duckbill boots to the Rossignol BCX 10s, as you've considered, will certainly enhance your ability to turn.

As for the Chariot Ski Trailer, it's equipped to manage gentle slopes effectively, although more effort may be required for turning. To maintain warmth, dressing your child in layers, along with a blanket or a windproof cover, should offer additional protection.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Mon Jul 01, 2024 3:30 pm

Just a note here-
In my limited experience-
the Fischer 88 does not have better edge-hold vs the 98-
neither of these skis have truly effectice edge-hold as they have zero torsional rigidity/stability.
Also- the 98 does not offer superior stability/float in deep snow vs the 88.
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

BerryBlossom

Post by BerryBlossom » Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:44 pm

For your cross-country skiing setup, choosing NNN BC bindings is a wise move for the terrain and snow you'll encounter. The Fischer Excursion 88 and S-Bound 98 skis are excellent picks, providing flexibility for varied landscapes and snow types, and they deliver good floatation and edge control on harder snow. Switching from Whitewoods to BCX 10 boots was a savvy upgrade for improved edge control. Both ski models will navigate turns on gentle slopes effectively, with the Excursion 88 offering slightly better maneuverability. A ski length of around 180cm is ideal. Happy skiing, and kudos on acquiring the Chariot Ski Trailer—it's a fantastic addition for family skiing outings!

randoskier
Ski style: awkward
Favorite Skis: snow skis
Favorite boots: go-go

Post by randoskier » Tue Sep 24, 2024 4:48 am

Hi Random. Congratulations on the wee one, I wondered why you were up in Wisconsin and commenting while it is morning here in the Italian time-zone!

If you want a second option for taking your lil one skiing I would recommend a homemade one. The Jet Sled Jr. which is widely available and only costs about 40 bucks makes an excellent pulk and can be easily rigged for pulling kids. It is a bit wider and much shorter than the common Paris pulk so it flips over very rarely (the Paris is terrible in that regard), it is also far more durable than the Paris sled. ( 43"L x 21"W x 8"H). For the fiberglass traces you could buy a bolt-on set from Ski Pulk in Minnesota for $145 bucks, complete with hardware (I built my own with 2 fiberglass fence posts, 4 rod-end ball-joints, alu channel, and a pin bolt+ some massive cursing). I am sure you could attach a suitable child seat to this robust sled. This sled tracks great in descents, there is zero slack in the hip attachment for the traces. I don't like the Norwegian system of the loose clasp-buckle.

Mine (sans bebe) has over 2,000 km on it in the Norwegian and Swedish mountains, with loads up to 40kg. I also built a back flap-brake with a piano hinge (top pic) so you can stop on an incline without the weight of the sled on you (perhaps useful for emergency diaper changes?). I also put a runner kit on the base, the stock one from Shapell (Eagle Claw). I have a bolt on rudder I made that makes it flip proof on sidehills but have never used it and have stopped carrying it. If you need any tips on construction just ask.

If you win the lottery the Fjellpulken Barne (child) pulk is the classic, and has little out-riggers to help prevent flips- https://www.fjellpulken.com/no/nb/fjell ... epulk-2024
Too bad you are not in Europe because finn.no (Norway's answer to ebay) has loads of them for sale:
https://www.finn.no/bap/forsale/search.html?q=barnepulk

Re: the Fischer 88. I have them, they are okay but I have found them too slow for my longer tours, I am switching to the Fischer Traverse 78 this year- narrower and a bigger camber than the 88. It sounds like the 88 is a better solution for your needs.
20240323_132427.jpg
d1s.jpg
20240202_145001.jpg