Total noob setup

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
changed

Total noob setup

Post by changed » Thu Oct 03, 2024 11:33 am

Brand new to skiing in any form. Moved to Montana, Big Sky area, and want to get into xcd in all its forms. I've done flat track XC skiing once and it bored me to death.

I think I've decided on the Madshus Panorama (which model to start? 78? 68?), and some 3 pin bindings, but I don't know about boots.

This will be a one-ski quiver for this winter, to see if I actually enjoy the sport. Obviously I'll be starting on mellow inclines, so if you guys have any suggestions for boots (and skis if I'm way off base), let me know! I'm late 30's, 5'10, 170 lbs, and in good shape. Long days are repeated descents sound fun to me. :ugeek:

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Re: Total noob setup

Post by fisheater » Sat Oct 05, 2024 10:14 am

Hello changed,
I’m a big 75 mm guy, but I would really recommend you consider NNN-BC or Xplore. The boot selection would be better.
Having said that, if you are going 75 mm I strongly suggest you purchase a binding that offers the option of cable attachment. A cable makes the the longitudinal connection of the boot to the ski much stiffer. That is quite beneficial making turns going downhill. When going uphill or across flats skiing without a cable is much more efficient.
The Voile 3-pin Cable is durable binding, and the cable is very easy to attach and detach. The Rottefella Super Telemark is also a very good binding. The duckbill fits most leather boots better. The cable offers much better downhill support. It is difficult to quickly attach and detach from the binding. I mounted mine on a Voile 10 mm riser, so I can attach the heel throw to the heel riser when I don’t want the heel throw attached to the boot. That is my preferred 75 mm leather boot binding configuration.
As for a good leather boot. The first thing to remember is the boot must fit your foot. I own two leather boots, an old leather UK Army boot made by Alico, and an Alaska 75 mm boot. The Alaska is soft, it kicks and glides very well. Skiing downhill the Rotte cable stiffens it up nicely, but if I’m planning on a downhill oriented day, and the snow isn’t really nice, I’ll be wearing the stiffer Alico boot. The Alaska isn’t for wider, high volume feet. It fits my feet like custom made. There are countless stories of catastrophic duckbill failures of the Alaska 75. I have been fortunate. I like the boot as part of my two boot leather boot quiver.
When I think of downhill leather 75 mm boots the Fischer Transnordic 75 comes to mind immediately. The reviews I have read, from sources I consider reliable, state that it is supportive downhill boot. I have not heard anything in regards to boot sole failure. I have read a couple reports complaining about the fit. The Transnordic upper has plastic stiffeners sewed in internally. Some people find them uncomfortable. I find the fact that several lightly used Transnordic boots find their way onto the for sale forum every year since the have been introduced. I have not been convinced by reviews to consider other Fischer or Rossignol leather boots. The boot I would purchase if my Alaska failed is an Alico sold by Altai Skis or similar from Telemark Pyrenees:
https://us-store.altaiskis.com/product/ ... -3-models/

https://www.telemark-pyrenees.com/produ ... rrency=USD

I didn’t see the Alico boot currently on the Telemark Pyrenees website, but I did see a Crispi Svartisen. It is reported to ski well. There are mixed reviews of the exoskeleton fit. I would highly recommend contacting Fey Brothers in New Hampshire if you are interested in that boot.
https://aspinockwoods.com/

I have done business several times with Fey Brothers. I find them to be knowledgeable, and the customer service to be excellent.
In regards to the Alico boots on the Altai site, my interest would be in one of the two more heavy duty leather boots.
In closing, I hope you look at the Telemark Pyrenees site. I would draw you attention to the greater options in NNN-BC and Xplore boots. That is the reason for my original suggestion.
Good luck and best wishes for your Nordic backcountry touring and downhilling next season,
Bob

wells-minn

Post by wells-minn » Sat Oct 05, 2024 11:55 am

What was the terrain and scenery like for your one-time, flat track experience? You might find that Big Sky offers so much more. Unless you pay for a lift ticket, you're going to be climbing 95% of the time and skiing downhill 5%, so it is important to like the uphill journey.

One possibility might be to rent some XC gear and give it a try. Even if you were dead set against flat track skiing, renting might give you a feel for what you like and what you don't like skiing in the new Big Sky area terrain. You might call this shop to see what rental options they offer:
https://www.gallatinalpinesports.com/winter-rentals 406-995-2313
The Big Sky ski area also has a rental shop, but I'm not sure if they have XC gear.

Have a great 2024-25 winter! I can't wait for the snow!

aclyon
Ski style: adapt or die

Post by aclyon » Sat Oct 05, 2024 12:26 pm

consider a Fischer S-Bound 98 instead of the Madshus, for the sole reason that the climbing scales are much better on the Fischer, and you'll be doing a lot of that.
for boots, i recommend finding whichever boot fits the best, and then getting a binding based on that. so if you try on many boots and it turns out an NNN-BC is the best fit, then get NNN-BC bindings. 75mm/3-pin opens up an entire universe of used and vintage boots that I think is underrated, so I wouldn't say it limits your boot choices. actually you'll be able to try all manner of plastic boots on there if you go with 75mm, which could make your overall experience more fun-- soft boots for extended touring, plastic boots for steeper downhill laps or the resort if you choose to go there. I skied with someone last winter who had 75mm bindings on her Fischer S-Bound 112's, and she had this vintage Alpina boot that was half leather, half plastic, with some sweet buckles. I was jealous.

ski choice-- if you go wider you'll have more fun in the powder and less fun on hard pack icy days, but spoiler alert, hard pack icy days aren't that fun any way. the S-Bound 98 is a decent compromise/best of both worlds kind of ski, but it won't track well on icy days. it will do great in the powder and is fun to turn, though.

good luck with whatever you choose, you're in a great region to experiment and learn!

blitzskier

Post by blitzskier » Sat Oct 05, 2024 12:33 pm

i would get 3 pin leather boots from Altai store, i stay away from the non-leather boots using synth materials like the alpina boots. Alpina has been using cheaper materials and glues, so the boots fail and wear fast. used 75 3 pin plastic boots are cheap too.
if buying Alpina I would not purchase 75mm, but the NNN-BC might be a better option

I like the total Ski package from Altai, either the Koms or the Hok depending on your goals, i find the Altai HOK is best for powder situations... Altai shop is a small mom and pop shop that needs support in the USA

buy used skis if possible in the beginning, as 3 pin bindings are cheap, and run a heel cable or heel wire system

teledance

Post by teledance » Sun Oct 06, 2024 8:41 am

I've got a pair of Piste Stinx skis with 3 pin cables and skins, you can try but I'm in Coeur d'Alene ID. All you'd need would be boots stiff leather or T4s and you're all set up. Not true XCD but pretty good for the Big Sky area.

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Sun Oct 06, 2024 2:43 pm

changed wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2024 11:33 am
Brand new to skiing in any form. Moved to Montana, Big Sky area, and want to get into xcd in all its forms. I've done flat track XC skiing once and it bored me to death.

I think I've decided on the Madshus Panorama (which model to start? 78? 68?), and some 3 pin bindings, but I don't know about boots.

This will be a one-ski quiver for this winter, to see if I actually enjoy the sport. Obviously I'll be starting on mellow inclines, so if you guys have any suggestions for boots (and skis if I'm way off base), let me know! I'm late 30's, 5'10, 170 lbs, and in good shape. Long days are repeated descents sound fun to me. :ugeek:
We know you don't like track skiing, but other than that we don't really know what you think you want to do on skis. If your goals include skiing off trail on exciting terrain most "xcd" set ups will be frustrating. Like someone said above the Madshu Ps don't climb well. From my experience a T4 boot and a wide scaled ski like a Voile or Kom or similar will be a lot more stable and easier to control, and are capable of climbing mountainous terrain without having to resort to using skins..

Lhartley

Post by Lhartley » Sun Oct 06, 2024 3:51 pm

Get a good fat fishscale setup (madshus 78 is great, thats what I learned on)with 75mm cable bindings and whatever 75mm plastic boots you can get your hands on(scarpa t2s are absolutely everywhere for cheap cheap, especially with everyone grabbing tx pros currently. T4 or T3s better but harder to find). Then get whatever cheap nnn bc light touring setup you can find (waxless if you dont want to learn about gripwax)that will fit in tracks.

I know you dont like skiing in tracks but you may find that a lot of xcd terrain you might end up skiing will be at nordic centers, and to check in on those spots routinely you might access them quickly by track. (Unless you just really hate track skiing). That way you can work on nordic kick and glide skills and get exercise on your "fast" setup, then when you start to see skiable xcd slopes you want to step out onto you bring your fat setup. Eventually you can even tele your LT setup. Personally, thats the fun part about xcd, competantly freeheel skiing progresively lighter gear.

For me this is what works anyways to cover the "noob" xcd bases the last couple years coming from an AT background. Two setups that can be had for cheap. Skip the light touring setup if you really just want one. But imo you can get this stuff so cheap it's a no brainer

changed

Post by changed » Sun Oct 06, 2024 8:14 pm

wells-minn wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2024 11:55 am
What was the terrain and scenery like for your one-time, flat track experience? You might find that Big Sky offers so much more.
I was in Upstate NY, skiing rolling, wooded terrain on ancient technology skis.

changed

Post by changed » Sun Oct 06, 2024 8:21 pm

I appreciate all the replies.

I've found a pair of barely used Alpinas for cheap cheap, and I'll probably decide between the Panoramas and the S-Bounds based on what's cheaper at the time. I will likely pick up a pair of thinner XC skis for the tracks, and I've heard they are pretty awesome around here.

Now it just needs to snow...