How do I ski the bumps in tele??!!

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Re: How do I ski the bumps in tele??!!

Post by Woodserson » Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:57 am

joeatomictoad wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:47 pm
My usage of poles aren't really for cadence nor skiing around, but I use them as a reminder to keep my COG well positioned by really reaching the pole tips down the fall line... especially helpful for attacking the steeper runs and staying out of the backseat. Of course positioning CG can be done without poles, but if I have them in my hands, then I might as well use them for something.
Pretend you are still holding your poles, and do the same as above! That's exactly what I've been doing... even flipping the wrist at each imagined pole plant. If anything my hands are even further up and fwd than before. I get real surfy with the skiing now too, sometimes I feel like a snowboarder.

Then, I enjoy carrying my cup of coffee to the lift, or checking my phone, or whatever, without having to wrestle around with poles, dropping them off the lift or stabbing someone or what-have-you. It's been liberating. I still like them in the trees though. I need to get over that.

Montana St Alum
Ski style: Old dog, new school
Favorite Skis: Blizzard Rustler 9/10
Favorite boots: Tx Pro

Post by Montana St Alum » Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:00 am

I don't have a lot of forward/back motion in my hands. Most of the pole movement is at the basket. I don't "reach" forward, or let my elbows move back much. For me, the pole plant is so integral to skiing the bumps that it's a result of my body position as much as it is driving my body position.

My arms tend to be closer to a 10 o'clock/2 o'clock position in relation to my body than to a straight ahead position. That way, if a pole plant gets hung up, it doesn't push my hand backward, which would drive my elbow back which would result in my core body position dropping back. Opening up that palm position also engages more of the stronger forearm muscles quickening the pace of pole plants and helping with endurance.

That's pretty critical for how I ski. Also, being somewhat side to side, it allows me to keep the plane of my chest facing downhill more effectively. If I go into a turn that arcs through more degrees, having my arms a bit more to the side makes it easier to rotate my body down the hill. This also helps positioning on extremely steep terrain. The timing of my pole plants is critical for the timing of my turns as well. Unlike some others, I have my poles set to a pretty long length. That helps to maintain a very upright stance in my spine taking pressure off my lower back and allowing me to non-stop pretty long distances before I have to stop and rest. So, for me, the pole plant is an essential element in how I ski the bumps.

joeatomictoad
Ski style: Yes, please.
Favorite Skis: Nordica Enforcer 93; Icelantic Saba Pro 117; 22D HH & Vice
Favorite boots: Scarpa T1

Post by joeatomictoad » Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:59 am

Montana St Alum wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:00 am
My arms tend to be closer to a 10 o'clock/2 o'clock position in relation to my body than to a straight ahead position. That way, if a pole plant gets hung up, it doesn't push my hand backward, which would drive my elbow back which would result in my core body position dropping back.
The "me" from early days of skiing would amend this as:
  • "...which would drive my elbow back which would result in my core having internal bleeding after having blunt force trauma from being impaled upon the top of my own pole."
As a novice, it only took a couple times of getting the wind knocked out of me to be mindful of pole location.
Wind knocked out.jpg

Montana St Alum

Post by Montana St Alum » Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:26 pm

joeatomictoad wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:59 am
Montana St Alum wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:00 am
My arms tend to be closer to a 10 o'clock/2 o'clock position in relation to my body than to a straight ahead position. That way, if a pole plant gets hung up, it doesn't push my hand backward, which would drive my elbow back which would result in my core body position dropping back.
The "me" from early days of skiing would amend this as:
  • "...which would drive my elbow back which would result in my core having internal bleeding after having blunt force trauma from being impaled upon the top of my own pole."
As a novice, it only took a couple times of getting the wind knocked out of me to be mindful of pole location.Wind knocked out.jpg
Pretty funny!

bauerb

Post by bauerb » Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:31 pm

I went through a phase where plenty of hard pole plants were my method to keep from falling over. but then I watched Star Wars a bunch of times and learned to feel the force.

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:24 pm

Some classic east coast granular bumps done well

Montana St Alum

Post by Montana St Alum » Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:15 am

Nice!

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:22 am

Hey Woods is that Johnny Lightning??? I appreciated the skiing, however special kudos to the camera man. He was following the same line while filming. The unsung bada$$!

joeatomictoad
Ski style: Yes, please.
Favorite Skis: Nordica Enforcer 93; Icelantic Saba Pro 117; 22D HH & Vice
Favorite boots: Scarpa T1

Post by joeatomictoad » Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:21 am

fisheater wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:22 am
...special kudos to the camera man.
Y u no see cameraman bloopers?
1. They are all badasses, and never mess up.
2. They control the stock, and can edit it out!

Montana St Alum

Post by Montana St Alum » Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:52 am

Most telemark skiers, remarking on videos of most other telemark skiers (and I only say this because it's funny. If I were pointing fingers, I'd stand in front of a mirror!).