How do I ski the bumps in tele??!!

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Montana St Alum
Ski style: Old dog, new school
Favorite Skis: Blizzard Rustler 9/10
Favorite boots: Tx Pro

Re: How do I ski the bumps in tele??!!

Post by Montana St Alum » Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:34 pm

Woodserson wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:05 pm
joeatomictoad wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:59 pm
@Woodserson
And here all along, I was preparing for this to turn into a discussion about where to get the best cider donut. This discussion would have been a whole different type of warfare.
Carter Hill Orchard for central NH, IMO. But open to suggestions. Dare I try that VT place you mentioned?

Back to some sinful impossible telemarking the bumps:

Smoooooth.

joeatomictoad
Ski style: Yes, please.
Favorite Skis: Nordica Enforcer 93; Icelantic Saba Pro 117; 22D HH & Vice
Favorite boots: Scarpa T1

Post by joeatomictoad » Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:03 pm

bgregoire wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:18 pm
Do you guys have access to real maple butter (nothing added)? 8-)
I remember having whole maple butter as a child, but was too young to really care; my mother would make a big deal of it. I was more interested in the maple candy treats.
Lobster maple candy.png

joeatomictoad

Post by joeatomictoad » Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:07 pm

Woodserson wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:05 pm
Back to some sinful impossible telemarking the bumps:

The slow motion is really effective in this video. I can see...
...downhill foot moving forward = turning, and
...uphill foot moving back = pivoting.

BennyBlanco

Post by BennyBlanco » Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:33 am

Lots of good advice and reminders here. One thing I didn't see was Keep Your Head Up and look ahead. This I find helps to get in the flow, and relax. Montana does a great job of keeping his head up in that video. Nice work!

bauerb

Post by bauerb » Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:38 pm

just got back from skiing some newborn bumps after 7" of pow overnight. what I can add to this thread is: it matters alot how old the bumps are and what they are made of. for example, today skiing the new bumps formed from powder means you can absolutely thrash them anyway you want to. over, around, through...it doesn't matter. but, as bumps age and become larger and harder, strategy and technique matter alot

the other thing that I was reminded of today while skiing fast through bumps: my pole "plants" are not really "plants". I use my arms and poles as part of my cadence, but I don't actually ever "plant" a pole. there really isn't time to do the whole "reach, plant, pivot" thing. I reach forward, but skip the pole plant.
Last edited by bauerb on Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

joeatomictoad

Post by joeatomictoad » Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:56 pm

bauerb wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:38 pm
...as bumps age and become larger and harder, strategy and technique matter alot
Amen. Volkswagen-sized ice boulders... drivers wanted!
What we have depicted here is Mad River Glen... just imagine the smell of patchouli.
Block ice 01.png

bauerb

Post by bauerb » Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:00 pm

haha. when I was a kid, on a rare late season trip to Killington, we referred to the bumps as Volkswagons. they were hard as rocks and big as cars.

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:30 pm

bauerb wrote:

the other thing that I was reminded of today while skiing fast through bumps: my pole "plants" are not really "plants". I use my arms and poles as part of my cadence, but I don't actually ever "plant" a pole. there really isn't time to do the whole "reach, plant, pivot" thing. I reach forward, but skip the pole plant.
I mean this in a kind way: You do have a weird post-turn pole plant that I never was able to figure out. I guess the above explains it.

This year I've pretty much just give up on poles. Even in the bumps. It took a few days to get my balance a little more fine tuned but then it was totally normal. Even liberating. I feel more artistic.

I was carrying poles around 90% of the time and not doing anything with them, so I said, screw it. One less thing to worry about. I use them in backcountry, trees still. Steeps where I have to make jump turns I'll probably keep them.

But overall, I am not using poles. My skiing has improved dramatically as a result as well.

Montana St Alum
Ski style: Old dog, new school
Favorite Skis: Blizzard Rustler 9/10
Favorite boots: Tx Pro

Post by Montana St Alum » Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:36 pm

bauerb wrote:
just got back from skiing some newborn bumps after 7" of pow overnight. what I can add to this thread is: it matters alot how old the bumps are and what they are made of. for example, today skiing the new bumps formed from powder means you can absolutely thrash them anyway you want to. over, around, through...it doesn't matter. but, as bumps age and become larger and harder, strategy and technique matter alot

Don't you "opposite plant"? Right plant for a left turn, and vice versa? That's what it looks like in your picture. My older son does the same thing.

Of course, it's a matter of perspective as to what's "opposite'. Like the woman who calls her husband who's on his way home to warn him that there's a report of a guy driving the wrong way on the freeway.... "A guy?", he yells into the phone, "There's thousands of them"!

joeatomictoad

Post by joeatomictoad » Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:47 pm

My usage of poles aren't really for cadence nor skiing around, but I use them as a reminder to keep my COG well positioned by really reaching the pole tips down the fall line... especially helpful for attacking the steeper runs and staying out of the backseat. Of course positioning CG can be done without poles, but if I have them in my hands, then I might as well use them for something.