Do I want a Nansen or Gamme?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Re: Do I want a Nansen or Gamme?

Post by lilcliffy » Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:32 pm

Musk Ox wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:20 am
If you're touring with an eye on greatly pleasing efficiency, get the Gammes. Although they're not exactly hard to steer themselves.
My dearest of friends- a paddler not a skier- an Ingstad BC guy- I lent him my Teal Man- he repeatedly exclaimed- MAN I LOVE THESE SKIS- and on one particulary steep run he exclaimed- YOU KNOW THOSE ARE REALLY FUN TO TURN! (i.e. Not easy to turn- but FUN to turn...)
But the Nansens aren't bad on deep snow either,
Re-read Petter's reviews on the Nansen vs Gamme/Finnmark on in the Reviews Section of the Forum...

I have yet to climb with the Gammes on steep and deep snow.
I have-
No problem in easy-wax snow-
more challenging in not-so-easy-wax snow...
I've already done some with the Nansens, though, whizzing about on hard wind-compacted crusty-powdery plateaux on top and then having a laugh on the way down (ie not hitting birch trees). They're awesome. They're surprisingly fast on the hard stuff. They were exactly what I was hoping for. They're flattering, insofar as equipment is never a substitute for skill, but I feel confident pointing them downhill. They're so much fun.
This. This sounds like the Ingstad BC in deep snow...And here's the thing- it doesn't sound like the FT62- unless the snow is perfect...The Nansen actually sounds like the ski I want to go out and play on hills- with ultralight XC boots- when the snow isn't perfect- what I was hoping for the FT62...
The 30mm mohair skins under the Nansens on new snow/ following a stranger's track/ a dusting of powder on a hard base is an absolute revelation. Seriously. So smooth, so nice. This combination of Nansen 195 and 30mm skin cut to the heel is as good as the Mountain Race 48 Skin,
What is the value of a MR48- unless you need a BC Nordic ski that works in a groomed track?
Come the zombie apocalypse I fear I'm choosing the Gammes. For practical reasons. Zombie-avoidance is no laughing matter. But it's too soon to say. Maybe zombies can be outwitted by swishing, in which case I'm keeping the Nansens. Assuming my swishing improves enough to outwit zombies.
Are we talking fast extreme zombies? Or slow, disoriented- "brains...brains.." zombies?
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

lilcliffy
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4

Post by lilcliffy » Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:42 pm

Stephen wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:15 pm
As of now, Mountain Race 48 / 210
Europa 99 ST / 215
Ingstad / 205
FT62 / 188
The Nansen will make the E99ST (based on your description of its softer shovel/tail) and the MR48 obsolete in every context other than a groomed track (MR48).
The Nansen will make your FT62 useless- except when the conditions are ideal for the FT62.
The Ingstad BC is already better than the FT62- except when the snow is ideal for the FT62.
The Gamme 54 BC will make everything redundant- unless you want to play in hilly/steep terrain- and even then it will still be fun to turn downhill as you charge across the next saddle towing a sack of boulders.
I want both the Gamme and Nansen.
Why not? Skiing is applied ecology- applied indigenous knowledge. There is no way to know what works best for your context without trying it- or making your own skis. Worse case scenario- sell the skis you don't use. I keep planing on selling those that I don't and then someone shows up in my barnyard that is perfect for those unused skis...
One use-scenario I have in mind is spring snow (corn snow) and wanting a ski that will do well on that sort of snow -- XC as well as XCD/d.
Why would this be a wax touring ski and not a scaled ski?

lilcliffy

Post by lilcliffy » Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:53 pm

Stephen wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:15 pm
On the chart, why is the Nansen to the left of the Ingstad?
Remember this is a bit dated- the "Ingstad" is the Combat Nato, not the Ingstad BC.
The Nansen is to the left because it is not as efficient at XC striding as the Ingstad/Combat Nato.
The Nansen is higher in the chart because it is easier to turn than the Ingstad/Combat Nato.
The Ingstad/Combat Nato has a wider circle because it is more stable in deep snow than the Nansen.
Look at that BIG circle around the Amundsen!
Interesting that he is acknowledging that the Nansen and Ingstad are easier to turn than the Gamme (yet a recent quote I read claimed that the "Gamme is as easy to turn as the Nansen"- perhaps that is speaking to the redesigned Teal Man?)
Similar snow, different skies, but it seems he chose the Nansen for the "real" skiing?
This is what I'm looking for, when / how to choose one ski over the other?
I am sorry man- but I am still not sure what you are looking for...
A mile-crushing, wilderness-conquering all-terrain performance machine? Gamme 54.
An all-terrain, difficult snow, hiking ski, that loves to be turned? Nansen BC.

Spring corn snow? In Western NA? Neither.

The GCW
Ski style: Alpine, Alpine B.C. Nordic B.C.

Post by The GCW » Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:04 pm

Consider: Don’t go longer than Asnes’ recomondation when choosing Gamme.

For Me: at 134 lbs. / 60 kg & -with pack, layers, quart of water etc = 150+ lbs / 68 kg.

Asnes recommends 180 cm ski. Trust the chart.

Did the paper test (with 7 pound pack on My back) under the wax pocket and it barely pulled out (weight on both skis). Sales guy suggested longer. I resorted to My laptop and teletalk forum crew for finer details confirming what I already gleaned: don’t go too long. Then gave them the money for the 180.

Now, the effects of the proper length, (for Me) is that when I’m skiing, there must be substantial downward weight transfer in the kick and glide motion to connect the wax pocket to the snow. -I'm getting that but it's not always easy and the wax must be dialed. A longer ski would make it very difficult for Me to get the kicker wax down on the snow. I’d not have the ability unless I exaggerated motions that I may not be able to replicate for miles and miles.

Going uphill is where the effects of the proper length shines: I feel where grip is achieved and where its limit is. Can feel it working when I sort of jog up steeper short bits and get instant glue. (((Jog strides forcing downward pressure, when gliding isn't achievable when terrain steepens to that point where if sustained skins may become optional))) The uphill ability seems dependent on not having too long of a ski, RISKING LOSING ALL THE POTENTIAL wax pocket ability. I sense, I'm at the skis limit... for My weight and can tell that aint happening if the ski is longer...

Maybe a better man with better technique already provides more downward force than Me…

I’ve been reading about these 2 skis here for a few weeks (to a dizzy degree), and I’ve come across a few or more posts that indicate a problem with Gamme, traced to a ski which is too long.

Is it possible that a person picks a ski which is the next size longer because that’s all that’s available?
Is the longer ski sexier? (We know the answer to that)…

For Me, happy I got the proper, recommended length. And I’m saying that coming from a Fischer Crown E99 in a 195cm which I’m now thinking IS too long. The 180 visually initially seems too short, but not any more.

Body length        Weight (kg)        Ski length
150-160 cm         - 60                         170
160-170                60-75                     180
170-180                70-85                     190
180-190                80-95                     200
190+                      95+                        210

Better telemark forumers may help put better words in My mouth, but that's the truth. Full disclosure: I don't know how to telemark, in case that helps shape anyones description of My description in regards to size choice.

Hopefully helpful.

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:07 pm

lilcliffy wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:42 pm

The Nansen will make the E99ST (based on your description of its softer shovel/tail) and the MR48 obsolete in every context other than a groomed track (MR48).
The Nansen will make your FT62 useless- except when the conditions are ideal for the FT62.
The Ingstad BC is already better than the FT62- except when the snow is ideal for the FT62.
The Gamme 54 BC will make everything redundant- unless you want to play in hilly/steep terrain- and even then it will still be fun to turn downhill as you charge across the next saddle towing a sack of boulders.
I want both the Gamme and Nansen.
Why not? Skiing is applied ecology- applied indigenous knowledge. There is no way to know what works best for your context without trying it- or making your own skis. Worse case scenario- sell the skis you don't use. I keep planing on selling those that I don't and then someone shows up in my barnyard that is perfect for those unused skis...
I agree (with everything not in bold)

I disagree (in bold, I disagree)

too bushed to write a treatise. Short: The FT62 is a not a XC ski and I not reference it as such. Some may use it as a XC ski, but it's not a XC ski in the traditional sense. I can use AT gear and Atomic Bent Chetlers and go XC skiing, sure. But that doesn't make it a XC ski.

I think the Nansen makes everything redundant if I had to narrow down to 1 ski. I love my Gamme, but I do not find them easy to turn, nor do I like them in deep snow. (But damn do they fly on firm and flat or with a few inches of new snow on a good base. Rockets!) But that is why I agree with the last part of LC's quote. Indigenous knowledge, local terrain, personal skills. What's good for me is not necessarily good for someone else.

My Fiat vs Land Rover video still applies, from my personal experience. One is a high end machine that needs the skills or weight to make it work, the other is an everyman machine that doesn't do anything great but does it all.

CwmRaider
Ski style: XC-(D) tinkerer
Favorite Skis: Åsnes FT62 XP, Børge Ousland
Occupation: Very precise measurements of very small quantities.

Post by CwmRaider » Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:27 pm

Stephen wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:15 pm
Revelations.
I'm sure others have seen this already, and I had seen it before, but now it has new meaning.

Is he switching between Gamme and Nansen in the videos?
On the chart, why is the Nansen to the left of the Ingstad? (I would have expected it to be in between the Ingstad and Gamme?)
Yes this video has been discussed before; With all the discussions and from my limited personal experience as a self proclaimed intermediate skier (using 3 skis on this chart + Falketind) I still think the graphic is actually quite an accurate representation and very helpful.
Also bear in mind that the relative behaviour of skis depends also on snow depth. Good luck getting speed with an E89 if other skis stay on top where they sink through.
Screenshot 2021-02-12 045548.png
X-axis = hurtighet/langrenn = speed / cross country
Y-axis= Styring/sving = steering/turning
Red circles = Bæreevne = "carrying capacity". Possibly flotation is the best word in english.
At 9:36 he further clarifies the axes:
"Choose skis from how important speed (right arrow -->) and turning ability (up arrow) and carrying capacity (red ring) are for you". Halfway on the chart does not mean half the speed or half the ability.

And it was made in 2014.
The Gamme 54 and Nansen were similar but a bit heavier than today
The Ingstad was comparable to today's Combat Nato
The Holmenkollen was the older version of the Mountain Race 48
The Storetind was the older version of the Rabb

Here is a transcript of what he says (sorry I dont want to do the whole video right now).

2014-2015 Nansen:
____
"Åsnes har jo hatt Nansen ut i mange år, siden 86 faktisk, så er det kjempe trygg, stødig ski som scorer veldig høyt på styring- og svingegenskaper. Og vi ser at den scorer litt mindre på hurtighet og langrenns egenskaper fordi den har mindre spenst og litt mer tyngde. Det er veldig god og trygg ski. Den bøyer seg også veldig jevnt, en sånn veldig jevn bøyekurve som er nesten som en alpinski når du spenner den opp."
_____
Sentence by sentence translation:
"Åsnes has had the Nansen in many years, since 86 in fact, and it is a very safe, stable ski which scores very high on steering and turning properties. And we see that it scores a little less on speed and cross-country properties because it has less tension and a little bit more heaviness. It is a very good and safe ski. It also bends very regularly, such a very regular bending curve which is almost like an alpine ski when you apply tension (picture for illustration)."

___________________________________________________________________________________________
2014-2015 Gamme 54:
"Så har vi en ski som ikke er her nå, men som både jeg og Øystein begynte med, det var en som lå midt i mellom Nansen og Amundsen som het MT54. Den er nå gjenskapt i en som heter Gamme 54 som nå kombinerer dette med mye hurtighet og spenst og samtidig brukbare styreegenskaper, slik at den ligger i mellom Amundsen og Nansen. Så har vi da Gamme 54, og 54 er da midtbredden på skia. Så den er midt i mellom med styreegenskaper og hurtighet og ganske så god bæreevne fordi den har mye lengdestivhet."
(a bit later he flexes the Gamme 54 again and continues):
"E99 bærer noe dårliger enn Gamme skia, Gamme skia viste vi jo ikke, der er den. Ganske lengdestiv, men med rockertuppen og også faktisk insmalning foran, eller taper den heter når det gjelder kjøreski. Det er den eneste fjellskia som har det i dag. Den første fjellski som har det."
______
Translation:
"Then we have a ski which is not here now, but with which both me and Øystein began, that was one which was halfway between Nansen and Amundsen called MT54 (points to an unmarked area on a straight line between Amundsen and Nansen). That one is now remade as a ski called Gamme 54 which now combines these properties of much speed and tension, and simultaneously useable steering properties, such that it lies between Amundsen and Nansen. So we have Gamme 54, and 54 is the underfoot width of the ski. So it is halfway between in terms of steering and speed, and quite a good "carrying capacity" because it is quite stiff in the length.
(talks about E99 then comes back to Gamme):
E99 carries a bit worse than Gamme ski, which we did not show, here it is (flexes Gamme 54). Quite stiff in length, but with rocker tip and also narrowing towards the tip, or taper as it is called with alpine skis. This is the only fjellski which has it today. The first fjellski which has it."
___________________________________________________________________________________________
2014-2015 Ingstad (present day Combat Nato)
"Ingstad Skia er den som forsvaret bruker i en hviter versjon. Den er breiere men det vil ikke si at den svinger bedre enn Nansen. Ganske lik, og den har en god del mer bæreevne, noe som er god der det er løs snø, og den flytter letter oppå. Og den er lett å gå med når det er dyp snø på grunn av bredden, men også fordi den har mye stivhet og bra spenst i midtpartiet, så har den god mykhet foran og bak. Den lager fine løyper og er lett å gå med i løs og dyp snø."
______
Translation:
"The Ingstad ski is the one the military uses in a whiter version. It is wider but that does not mean that it turns better than Nansen. Quite similar, and it has more carrying capacity, something which is good when there is loose snow, and it floats better on top. And it is easy to walk with when the snow is deep because of the width, but also because it has a lot of stiffness and tension in the middle, and good softness in front and back. It makes nice tracks and is easy to walk with in loose and deep snow".

Stephen
Ski style: Aspirational
Favorite Skis: Armada Tracer 118 (195), Gamme (210), Ingstad (205), Objective BC (178)
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance, Scarpa TX Pro
6’3” / 191cm — 172# / 78kg, size 47 / 30 mondo

Post by Stephen » Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:17 am

This is all fantastique!
So many points of view -- and a little challenging to weight each one, relative to the others.

@Woodserson
Love the video!
Not sure about how to apply the analogy (no need for you to try).

@fisheater
I may be making the mistake of going too long on skis (especially the E99 ST at 215 -- but it was cheap).
Maybe I'm missing some kick, and having trouble in the turns because of that.
Also, happy to learn that all I need is a pair of Nansens to be able to ski like Pål Trygve Gamme -- so easy!
:roll:

@Roelant
THANK YOU for the translation -- I was hoping you would come through!
:D
No need for the whole thing -- I think I got the essence.
Too bad the video is 6 years old.
Good to know the "Ingstad" on the chart is not the Ingstad of today, but more the Combat NATO.
I had seem the earlier comments on the switch in skis in the videos, just confirming what I was seeing.

So, I wonder where the current Ingstads would fall on this chart? Between the Combat NATO and Gamme?
2.JPG
@lilcliffy
Here is Gareth calling me out for having LOTS of skis! Ha.

Interesting and helpful to hear the comments about the sort of Universality of the Gamme.
"- The Nansen are better telemark skis than the Gamme."
I am wondering if there is some overlap in the Nansen / Ingstad?
Again, I am surprised by how much I am using and enjoying the Ingstad.
The few time I have used the FT62 have been great (except once, when I thought I might have been better off on the Ingstad).
"But if you are looking for an archetypal Western Spring Corn Nordic tourin ski- isn't that a ...?"
And then I was hoping you were going to tell me which ski that is!
:(
"But if you are looking for an archetypal Western Spring Corn Nordic tourin ski- isn't that a waxless-scaled ski?"
"Why would this be a wax touring ski and not a scaled ski?"
Yes, as right as you may be, the Gamme is not available in "waxless," and the Nansen is not readily available in NA this year in waxless. But someone here (@Woodserson) told me "It's time to start embracing The Klister."
Anyway, it seems for spring snow klister or skins might work fine. Not as convenient as waxless, I know.

"I am sorry man- but I am still not sure what you are looking for...
A mile-crushing, wilderness-conquering all-terrain performance machine? Gamme 54.
An all-terrain, difficult snow, hiking ski, that loves to be turned? Nansen BC.

Spring corn snow? In Western NA? Neither.
"

You are not sure what I am looking for because I have not said -- I don't want to pigeonhole the ski.
Stop trying to figure it out and you will no longer be frustrated!
:lol:

But, seriously, are you saying neither the Gamme or Nansen for spring corn snow? Not sure if I read that right.
If so, confusing after watching Pål Trygve Gamme ski both skis on spring snow?
And, if you did mean neither, which ski would that be, then?

@The GCW
Thank you for the balanced input on length!
I think it is easy to be tempted by "longer is better."
I have wondered lately if I am paying a price for that.
Most of the time ok, but sometimes lacking grip.
At my #s (185#s / 84kg) all-up for skiing I'm on longer skis than the charts.
If I bought a Gamme, I would be tempted to go 210!
But, the charts say say I'm right on the divide between 190 / 200.
I think a 200 would be a smarter choice for me, than 210, and I would still be in the lower 1/3 of the weight range for that ski (me at 85 for recommended weight of 80 - 95). Going to 210 would mean I would be at least 10kg light for the ski.

Again, thanks for all the input.
I'm tempted to click "Buy" on the Gammes...
(But don't let that stop further comment!)

Mr. @Musk Ox is an inspiration. Sadly, no retail opportunities here such as his location.

Musk Ox
Ski style: Bad
Favorite Skis: I am a circumpolar mammal
Favorite boots: Hooves

Post by Musk Ox » Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:22 am

lilcliffy wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:32 pm
Are we talking fast extreme zombies? Or slow, disoriented- "brains...brains.." zombies?
I’ve been thinking about this a lot recently.

Initially, I actually thought a waxless ski might be the sensible choice for zombie avoidance: one will want to be active in spring temperatures where zombies will decompose more rapidly. But then I realised that this was predicated on a basic misunderstanding of zombie physiology. Zombies do not have an active circulatory system. So while they will be preserved almost indefinitely, their joints will, of course, freeze in temperatures below 0°C – meaning that they cannot pursue you until spring at all. Spring is the enemy. This complicates the issue. I still think it would have to be Gammes, with skins. But I’d break into the abandoned sports shop and loot a pair of Nansens and some X-Skins. And maybe a crossbow.

Smitty
Ski style: Bushwhacking
Favorite Skis: Asnes Nansen
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska

Post by Smitty » Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:48 pm

I totally agree with Woods RE: versatility of the Nansens, and the overall comparison (loved the video analogy!).

Without a specific use case listed my pick has to be Nansen over Gamme. Gamme is faster on flat / firm, Nansen is way easier to steer with less energy expense on the climb (assuming both in recommended length for skier weight). I love both. But where/how I ski, the Nansen wins out in relative terms.

ie There is a narrower gap between Nansen's flat touring performance relative to the superior Gamme than the Gamme control/climbing performance relative to the superior Nansen.

In absolute terms, I will still likely get more use out of the Gamme because most of my skiing is longer distance cruised on relatively flat packed out / wind scoured trails, across lakes, creeks, etc.

Stephen
Ski style: Aspirational
Favorite Skis: Armada Tracer 118 (195), Gamme (210), Ingstad (205), Objective BC (178)
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance, Scarpa TX Pro
6’3” / 191cm — 172# / 78kg, size 47 / 30 mondo

Post by Stephen » Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:33 pm

Nice comments @Smitty
This is where I get hung up — trying to thread the needle on those two, how to weigh the characteristics of the two against how I think I will use them.
I haven’t skied the Nansen, so don’t know for sure, but it seems like there is some similarity between the Nansen and Ingstad (which I already have). So, could I be happy with the Ingstad, sort of in place of the Nansen, and then go with the Gamme? Also, while one (you, me, anyone) might like the Nansen better, if the Gamme is going to get used more, due to better match to use, it seems like that should count for something.
Are your skis wax or waxless?
Last edited by Stephen on Thu Dec 23, 2021 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.