breathable shell jacket? is there one that lets sweat out but keeps you dry

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Stephen
Ski style: Aspirational
Favorite Skis: Armada Tracer 118 (195), Gamme (210), Ingstad (205), Objective BC (178)
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance, Scarpa TX Pro
6’3” / 191cm — 172# / 78kg, size 47 / 30 mondo

Re: breathable shell jacket? is there one that lets sweat out but keeps you dry

Post by Stephen » Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:59 pm

I don’t have a ton of experience here, but will make a few comments.

- Especially based on what Woods just posted, I think ventilation is important.
I have a GTX Pro shell that I sized to fit over ALL the layers I might ever wear.
Consequently, it is rather loose most of the time, plus it has pit zips.
It seems to me that if outside air can gently circulate inside the jacket, that will carry moisture away.
Then it comes down to regulating how much air there is moving past the pit zips, collar, hem, and sleeve ends.

- I LOVE SmartWool / Icebreaker type undergarments. That’s all I wear top and bottom. However, I recently read that wool does not transport moisture away from the body as well as synthetic.
I have experimented with this a little bit and think that a good synthetic base layer works better that the Marino Wool material. The other thing about base layer I have read is the importance of a snug fit, so that there is direct skin contact so the material can transport moisture away more easily.

- The thing I have the most difficulty with is my back, since the pack I carry traps moisture on my back. No solution here.

- I think one of the key things is to pay attention, and adjust clothing as soon as one starts to become even a little too warm. Once fabric is wet, it’s the worst of two worlds, because you’re hot, but can get cold very quickly and easily.

- I also have pants that have side vents in the legs and I think this helps. I think it’s important to keep a balanced temperature for the whole body. No part of the body should be too hot or too cold.

-The thing I have the most trouble with is my finger tips, which have always gotten cold easily, plus pretty sure I have had some frost nip (not bite), which I think damages circulation.

bauerb

Post by bauerb » Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:07 pm

I love smartwool. I have 350 weight top and bottom base layers that I have been wearing while its -25. I also carry a really cool smart wool parka to put on after skinning up. the parka is quilted, and looks like down, but the stuffing is wool. I love putting on that parka for the ski down. today since its warmed up to +10, I will wear a smart wool 250 weight top, a lighter mid layer and an alpine shell.

I think the smart wool is saving my butt when its really cold and I am super sweaty. I also wear a lightweight pair of smart wool gloves when skiing up( if I am wearing gloves at all).

I like my choices for base and mid layers, it really just the shell that is trapping moisture ...even with armpit zips open

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:17 pm

bauerb wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:07 pm

I like my choices for base and mid layers, it really just the shell that is trapping moisture ...even with armpit zips open
Wait. Are you wearing the shell climbing up? If yes, stop that right now. I rarely wear the shell up, even when snowing.

If it's really coming down and I'm going up (hiking or skinning) I'll throw the jacket over my shoulders and snap the button at the top of the jacket and I wear it as a cape. Don't zip up. Sometimes you have to add a snap because this little feature is now often left out of jacket designs. I've done this for years across disciplines, with great success.

As Stephen mentioned, synthetics do move moisture a bit better than wool, but I definitely only wear wool next to skin and it moves water just fine. I find the big difference is between wool sweater vs. fleece top. A lightweight fleece over a tight fitting wool baselayer and I'm off to races, never wet. A light wool sweater over... moves moisture to the exterior (inside is always dry) but it takes a bit longer to evaporate and is slightly heavier. I'm digging the grid-fleece for this specifically.

The Backpack is always the issue. This is inevitable and a completely different conversation as there are a lot of other factors here, like the backpack.

bauerb

Post by bauerb » Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:40 pm

I was wearing the shell on the way when the temps were -25 to -35F. the wind was making it very cold. basically I needed wind protection. when the temps are above 15 or so, I simply wear a lycra jacket over a base layer, and it works well. my issue is only on the coldest/windiest days...

I just came back from riding the lifts for a few hours. it was a balmy 17 degrees. just a light base layer, light mid layer and a shell. sweat and breathability not an issue....but I only went down...

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:32 pm

Gortex has always failed me, It's not that breathable and it's not that waterprof. I wear a cotton canvas anorak and love it. It's breathable and will keep you comfortable even in a wet snow. Heavy rain probably not so much. But neither will Gtex. You have to be willing to give up some waterproofness for breathabiity. I'd rather be comfortably damp then soaked from the inside.

ᚠᚨᚱ ᚾᛟᚱᚦ ᛊᚲᛁᛖᚱ
Ski style: Mixed xcountry offtrack/bc
Favorite Skis: Asnes NATO BC so far
Favorite boots: Still searching

Post by ᚠᚨᚱ ᚾᛟᚱᚦ ᛊᚲᛁᛖᚱ » Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:33 pm

My .02 I think wool actually breathes better than synthetic. However, it could just be that wool feels less nasty when wet compared to synthetic. Here is a modern wool soft shell option: https://www.varusteleka.com/en/product/ ... cket/59958
A bit tacticool for my taste, but if I could afford it I would probably overlook the styling.

Montana St Alum
Ski style: Old dog, new school
Favorite Skis: Blizzard Rustler 9/10
Favorite boots: Tx Pro

Post by Montana St Alum » Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:34 pm

lowangle al wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:32 pm
Gortex has always failed me, It's not that breathable and it's not that waterprof. I wear a cotton canvas anorak and love it. It's breathable and will keep you comfortable even in a wet snow. Heavy rain probably not so much. But neither will Gtex. You have to be willing to give up some waterproofness for breathabiity. I'd rather be comfortably damp then soaked from the inside.
Have you tried waxing the shoulders just to keep that part drier?

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:10 pm

No I haven't, if it ain't broke why fix it.

The GCW
Ski style: Alpine, Alpine B.C. Nordic B.C.

Post by The GCW » Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:50 pm

Quote from Montana St Alum,

""I scored a jacket years ago made of Schoeller C_Change material that is amazing, but the material became too expensive and isn't made any more in technical gear, that I'm aware of. It's a temperature specific pore size. Cool, and it closes, warm and pore sizes increase. I can actually feel wind going through it but it keeps me dry.

From Schoeller
“The c_change membrane is set to a predetermined temperature range. As soon as the climate inside a garment is warmer—due to physical activity or higher surrounding temperatures—the membrane reacts. Its flexible polymer structure opens and allows water vapour to escape quickly to the outside air. As soon as the body begins producing less heat and therefore less moisture, the polymer structure reverts to its original position. During this process, body heat is stored and protection from cold builds up.”

-0-

*****AMUNDSEN's PEAK ANORAK is made with Schoeller C_Change, however, as You indicated it is expensive. Looks nice enough but I could do without the emblems. Also of concern is a hood fitted for helmets. I only wear a mullet...

AlaskaNordic
Ski style: Style what style?
Favorite Skis: Madshus Annums
Favorite boots: Alico Double

Post by AlaskaNordic » Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:32 pm

What Roelant and Wooderson say, I literally just today went skiing up hill, guess what I sweated, and when I started to sweat I took off my shell. I think the very best you can hope for from a shell is to a. keep the wind off of you and b. keep you dry from snow and rain and many dont do the second part of b.
I have owned lest see, probably seven to ten different shells by different makers of different fabrics and coastings, complete breathabilty is a myth, at least if you run warm. So, I go with wicking layer outside, wool usually and then shell up for the decent or standing still. Pit zips help for sure but are not a cure all. Once upon a time Stephenson Warmlite had a whole manifesto on gear and sweating and moisture, he was brilliant and anti-sweat because he knew its all bull, no fabric will keep up and let all that vapor out, none.
So, currently I use the Columbia Extreme dry with membrane on the outside which is bombproof dry and has pit zips. But today i quickly shed it and wore a lightweight wool top with a wicking t shirt for the trip up, otherwise i drown.
Peace.