Asnes Ingstad vs. Fischer S-bound 98?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Stephen
Ski style: Aspirational
Favorite Skis: Armada Tracer 118 (195), Gamme (210), Ingstad (205), Objective BC (178)
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance, Scarpa TX Pro
6’3” / 191cm — 172# / 78kg, size 47 / 30 mondo

Re: Asnes Ingstad vs. Fischer S-bound 98?

Post by Stephen » Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:48 am

@Ira, if you think a returnable ski is a requirement, and if you really want a ski this year, I think you need to verify what skis are still available from REI, and make a buying decision soon.
Availability of any ski you may want, from any vendor, can change in a day.
You might be able to find something in a week or two, or not.

If any ski has a defect outside the warranty period, your chances of free replacement are slim — low probability and I wouldn’t count on it.

Once you verify what is still available, maybe post that info and ask again for a recommendation?

I would not count on any more SB98s showing up this winter.
You should check with Neptune and REI on quantity in stock, and expect to get this ski season.

Discovery 102 thread:
https://www.telemarktalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4078
It sounds more xcd or xcD oriented…

Ira

Post by Ira » Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:33 am

Thanks Stephen,

A returnable ski isn't a requirement, but a preference (if I hadn't just read the thread with skier after skier after skier having bad experiences with Asnes WL pattern, I would have finalized those). If it's not returnable I'd need to either demo it or hear consistently positive experience about it (if something has mixed reviews, and i never tried it, then I'd only want to get it returnable, but if it's either demo-able or consistently positive it doesn't have to be returnable).

Thanks so much for the link to the Discovery reviews. It looks like that might be a bit more similar to the 112's and more DH than I thought.

I did just order the 112's from REI a few days ago (haven't received yet), hoping I'll be able to manage it with a soft leather boot, but might have to continue to do more research for that lighter backcountry-ski in the quiver. I might try to see if it might be easier to find an Excursion to demo (since Ingstads don't seem to be available to demo here).

Thanks!
Last edited by Ira on Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Stephen
Ski style: Aspirational
Favorite Skis: Armada Tracer 118 (195), Gamme (210), Ingstad (205), Objective BC (178)
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance, Scarpa TX Pro
6’3” / 191cm — 172# / 78kg, size 47 / 30 mondo

Post by Stephen » Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:00 pm

@Ira, you might look at the Alpina Discovery 80 at REI. With REI’s return policy,that would be pretty safe for you to try.
I agree on your assessment of the Discovery 102.

From Alpina’s website:
https://www.alpinasports.com/us/nordic/ ... lat-SM5751

Discovery 80
The perfect choice for skiers that demand stability, control and edge grip in the ungroomed terrain. Full metal edges provide grip when you need to head downhill or control when you need to traverse across steeper terrain. The camber design aides in flotation and issues easier maneuvering when you need to change course.

Discovery 102
Geared towards alpine pursuits with its stiffer flex, the 102 has the equal ability to go up as well as down. The wide tip and narrow waist provide exceptional turning and responsiveness for tight areas. A good choice for telemark skiers.

Ira

Post by Ira » Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:27 pm

Thanks Stephen,

Yes, I was looking at the 80 yesterday as well.

My only hesitation is it's narrower than what I planned (narrower than my foot even before I put the boot on), and I have some foot conditions that require more lateral stability.

Also, I was seriously considering Excursion 88, but when I checked with Fischer their rep said I can't use 75mm bindings on the Excursion. NNNBC is a dealbreaker for me (NNNBC and my feet don't get along).

So whichever ski I get has to be 75mm compatible (Rotefella Super-tele), or, if the Xplore system is closer in control to 75mm than to NNNBC, I'd consider switching to Xplore.

Fischer's saying Excursion 88 can't use 75mm makes me wonder if that applies to the Alpina Discovery 80 as well (I realize the Alpina 80 is returnable but I wouldn't want to get it unless it's more likely I'll keep it long-term than not, especially since with the shortages me getting it means someone else might not).

I was a bit thrown by Fischer saying Excursion 88 can't be used with 75mm, so I'm trying to clarify with them why that is.

Thanks!

Tom M
Ski style: Skate on Groomed, XCD Off, Backcountry Tele
Favorite Skis: Fischer S-Bound 98 Off Trail, Voile V6 BC for Tele
Favorite boots: Currently skiing Alfa Vista, Alfa Free, Scarpa T2
Website: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCam0VG ... shelf_id=1

Post by Tom M » Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:39 pm

Ira wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:27 pm
Also, I was seriously considering Excursion 88, but when I checked with Fischer their rep said I can't use 75mm bindings on the Excursion.
I was a bit thrown by Fischer saying Excursion 88 can't be used with 75mm, so I'm trying to clarify with them why that is.
I can't think of a single reason why the Excursion 88 can't be mounted with a 75 mm binding. Maybe the ski shop doesn't have or have never mounted a set. ;)

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:54 pm

Tom M wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:39 pm
Ira wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:27 pm
Also, I was seriously considering Excursion 88, but when I checked with Fischer their rep said I can't use 75mm bindings on the Excursion.
I can't think of a single reason why the Excursion 88 can't be mounted with a 75 mm binding. Maybe the ski shop doesn't have or have never mounted a set. ;)
Holy crap. All, every single one, of my Sbound skis have been mounted at some point, or are still mounted with 75mm bindings.

Between the “techs” who can’t mount bindings to save their lives and clueless “reps”… :shock:

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:00 pm

^^^^^^^^
Well said Mr. Woodserson. There are just more unqualified people in jobs now. I don’t see it changing anytime soon

Ira

Post by Ira » Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:06 pm

Thanks Tom, it wasn't actually the ski tech who said 88 is not for 75mm, it was a Fischer rep (from Fischer Sports).

I emailed him asking for clarification and also asking if the Xplore bindings will be compatible with 88.

I do realize the 75mm Rotefella Super Tele would hang off the edge of the skis too much with such a small waist (both on 88's and the Discovery 80's).

I'd love to know if Xplore bindings would provide the same or more control at cable-less 75mm (which for me is much higher than NNNBC), but that might be a whole new thread.

Woodserson

Post by Woodserson » Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:13 pm

Ira wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:06 pm
Thanks Tom, it wasn't actually the ski tech who said 88 is not for 75mm, it was a Fischer rep (from Fischer Sports).

I emailed him asking for clarification and also asking if the Xplore bindings will be compatible with 88.

I do realize the 75mm Rotefella Super Tele would hang off the edge of the skis too much with such a small waist (both on 88's and the Discovery 80's).

I'd love to know if Xplore bindings would provide the same or more control at cable-less 75mm (which for me is much higher than NNNBC), but that might be a whole new thread.
He’s wrong, about 75mm and who gives two flying shits about his other opinions. Don’t waste your time with clarification.

Yes, Xplore will go on those skis too. There is no limitation here at all on any of this. Stop overthinking. Look in the Reviews SubForum about the Xplore Johnny just put out an updated review after skiing them last spring and this early winter.

Woodserson

Post by Woodserson » Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:15 pm

Ira wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:06 pm

This is a concern that does not matter! The boot overhangs the ski. People put Rott STs on 54mm waisted E99s all day long. This binding is older than god.