Sealant/Glue for Bindings... and other mounting secrets.

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
JohnSKepler
Ski style: XCBCD
Favorite Skis: Voile Objective BC, Rossignol BC 80
Favorite boots: Scarpa F1 Bellows, Alpina Alaska XP

Sealant/Glue for Bindings... and other mounting secrets.

Post by JohnSKepler » Sun Oct 30, 2022 7:51 pm

My Xplore bindings call for Rottefella Mounting Glue or Cascol polyurethane glue. Drill holes, fill with glue, place the binding, drive screw into the glue-filled hole. For moisture prevention.

What other glues/sealers are y'all using if I can't easily source this stuff. What are the properties I'm looking for? I'm guessing waterproof and flexible below freezing?

What if I removed some Rottefella auto bindings from a set of skis and put on a set of Xplore. Is that recommended? Each screw hole weakens the ski and these cross country skis have a lot less material than downhill skis.

Any other mounting tips before I take a drill to my Asnes FT62? Rottefella has a nice template you can print out and I'm an experienced screwer. :D
Veni, Vidi, Viski

wabene
Ski style: Stiff kneed and wide eyed.
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Gamme, Fischer SB98, Mashus M50, M78, Pano M62
Favorite boots: Crispi Svartsen 75mm, Scarpa T4

Re: Sealant/Glue for Bindings... and other mounting secrets.

Post by wabene » Sun Oct 30, 2022 8:50 pm

fgd135
Ski style: Yes, sometimes.
Favorite Skis: Most of them
Favorite boots: Boots that fit

Post by fgd135 » Sun Oct 30, 2022 8:52 pm

Urethane adhesive E6000 can be subbed for that Euro glue. Ace Hardware and auto supply stores sell it. Any new mounting holes in a ski need at least a cm clearance in all directions from previous drilled holes to prevent weakening the ski. Ok to use the old holes if the screws will grab in them. Fill old unused holes with the adhesive, or use plastic hole plugs. This is primarily to keep moisture from the core; does not add any strength.
Avoid a situation where a line of closely spaced holes, old and new, span across the width of the ski.
Many nordic skis do indeed have mounting plates of titanal or ABS in the binding area, hard to say what yours may or may not have; if they have titanal plates, you'll need to tap after drilling.
"To me, gracefulness on skis should be the end-all of the sport" --Stein Eriksen

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Sun Oct 30, 2022 9:15 pm

I’ve done quite a few mounts with Titebond 3 waterproof. However my latest Asnes skis recommended polyurethane glue. I used Gorilla glue. I dropped the recommended drop of water in, the glue reacted and expanded. So far, so good. I’ve never had a problem with a mount, I used Titebond 2 water resistant for many mounts before that. I have used epoxy and steel wool and mounted in previously mounted holes. I have bent skis, when I was much younger, I have never ripped out a mount

jalp

Post by jalp » Sun Oct 30, 2022 10:01 pm

JohnSKepler wrote:
Sun Oct 30, 2022 7:51 pm
Any other mounting tips before I take a drill to my Asnes FT62? Rottefella has a nice template you can print out and I'm an experienced screwer. :D
I don't know what the recommended hole diameter or depth is for the Xplore binding screws but I really like drill bits like these for mounting: https://www.tognar.com/mounting-drill-b ... -bindings/ Bits like this have probably prevented me from making a few "too many beers" mistakes. Alternately, I'll just wrap tape around the correct diameter drill bit as a depth stop.

Stephen
Ski style: Aspirational
Favorite Skis: Armada Tracer 118 (195), Gamme (210), Ingstad (205), Objective BC (178)
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance, Scarpa TX Pro
6’3” / 191cm — 172# / 78kg, size 47 / 30 mondo

Post by Stephen » Sun Oct 30, 2022 10:28 pm

Oh Dog, not the glue debate again...

It's just hard for me to trust something that cleans up with water to be waterproof.
Maybe there's some chemical magic that makes that work.

Polyurethane seems to be the standard.
I like epoxy, well, just because I do -- I've used 100s of gallons of it.
I like G/Flex because it has the quality of being more flexible than regular epoxies.
Some people don't like epoxy because it makes screw removal, without damage, difficult.
The workaround being to carefully heat the screws before removal, to soften the epoxy.
But really, polyurethane is a lot easier.

Being OCD, I like to take the extra time to make sure the entire inside surface of the hole is coated with glue before screwing.
I also think it's important to not actually fill the entire hole with glue and then start screwing, because the hole is sealed at the top by the screw, and then hydraulic pressure is created as the screw is tightened that might? damage the ski.
But, maybe I worry needlessly...

twopass
Favorite Skis: Tatra Gopher High 12's
Favorite boots: Red Wing

Post by twopass » Tue Nov 01, 2022 3:48 am

Can I use epoxy on foam core skis? I mean, would you?
"I really have had enough of illogical detraction by association as a way of avoiding logical argument by an absurd extension of ad hominem argument to third parties."

wabene
Ski style: Stiff kneed and wide eyed.
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Gamme, Fischer SB98, Mashus M50, M78, Pano M62
Favorite boots: Crispi Svartsen 75mm, Scarpa T4

Post by wabene » Tue Nov 01, 2022 9:13 am

Stephen wrote:
Sun Oct 30, 2022 10:28 pm

It's just hard for me to trust something that cleans up with water to be waterproof.
Maybe there's some chemical magic that makes that work.

Polyurethane seems to be the standard.
I like epoxy, well, just because I do -- I've used 100s of gallons of it.
I like G/Flex because it has the quality of being more flexible than regular epoxies.
Some people don't like epoxy because it makes screw removal, without damage, difficult.
The workaround being to carefully heat the screws before removal, to soften the epoxy.
But really, polyurethane is a lot easier.

Being OCD, I like to take the extra time to make sure the entire inside surface of the hole is coated with glue before screwing.
I also think it's important to not actually fill the entire hole with glue and then start screwing, because the hole is sealed at the top by the screw, and then hydraulic pressure is created as the screw is tightened that might? damage the ski.
But, maybe I worry needlessly...
Ha ha, yeah I just put the Titebond 3 up there for discussion, I've never used it. I'm a contractor and there aren't too many days that pass when I don't drive a screw. For whatever reason I always have my local, Continental Ski and Bike, do all my mounts. There is an older gentleman who does the tele mounts and he uses threaded inserts and epoxy on those. They don't charge much and have the responsibility, so it seems worth it. I also enjoy stopping there, talking gear and picking up yet another kind of wax.
*Edited changing heli-coil to threaded insert.
Last edited by wabene on Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

JohnSKepler
Ski style: XCBCD
Favorite Skis: Voile Objective BC, Rossignol BC 80
Favorite boots: Scarpa F1 Bellows, Alpina Alaska XP

Post by JohnSKepler » Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:59 am

wabene wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 9:13 am

Ha ha, yeah I just put the Titebond 3 up there for discussion, I've never used it. I'm a contractor and there aren't too many days that pass when I don't drive a screw. For whatever reason I always have my local, Continental Ski and Bike, do all my mounts. There is an older gentleman who does the tele mounts and he uses heli-coils and epoxy on those. They don't charge much and have the responsibility, so it seems worth it. I also enjoy stopping there, talking gear and picking up yet another kind of wax.
You just had to say "helicoil". Now I'm wondering if I want to helicoil the bindings. Clearly, it would let you remove and repair/replace the binding much easier but it would also make for a much stronger bond to the wood itself. I'm guessing you might also want to Loctite the screw you put into the helicoil? I've never put a helicoil into wood before... Then again, I've got some Titebond II on the shelf and the ski all prepped for drilling and install...
Stephen wrote:
Sun Oct 30, 2022 10:28 pm
So, like an oil thread on a motorcycle forum,huh? :lol:
Veni, Vidi, Viski

Stephen
Ski style: Aspirational
Favorite Skis: Armada Tracer 118 (195), Gamme (210), Ingstad (205), Objective BC (178)
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance, Scarpa TX Pro
6’3” / 191cm — 172# / 78kg, size 47 / 30 mondo

Post by Stephen » Tue Nov 01, 2022 5:37 pm

JohnSKepler wrote:
Sun Oct 30, 2022 7:51 pm
Rottefella has a nice template you can print out and I'm an experienced screwer. :D
EDIT:
I would love to know where that template link is!

It's a minor but critical detail, but make sure to verify that the template you print actually prints at a scale of 1:1.
Sometimes there is a scaling problem.
I think the printout requires legal paper.

Here is a great video on mounting the Xplore binding by @Tom M.

Last edited by Stephen on Tue Nov 01, 2022 6:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.