Rabb 68- NNNBC, 75mm-3pin, or Xplore?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Re: Rabb 68- NNNBC, 75mm-3pin, or Xplore?

Post by lilcliffy » Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:30 pm

fisheater wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:25 pm
The Rotte ST cable is in another league compared to both the Voile 3 pin cable offerings when skiing with a soft leather boot.
I've got a Rotte ST-cable sitting on my shelf-
Bought it for either this ski or to trade out on my Storetind...
I am leaning towards that binding at the moment- largely influenced by your reports mon ami Fishy!
Considering Xplore-
I am concerned that the Alfa Free will not work for my low-volume foot...(and it is one hell of a lot of cash if it doesn't- can you f'in believe that the Alfa Free boot is currently selling for $1000CAN retail!!!!!?)
And if the only current Xplore boots that will work for my feet are either the Alaska XP or the leather Alfa XPs- what is the point of all the extra cost?
Would an Alaska Xplore be THAT much better than an Alaska NNNBC setup- when you consider +200% extra cost?
My point-
What is the point of moving to Xplore unless one fits comfortably into a downhill-oriented boot like the Alfa Free?

I think I should wait until there are more boot choices- or at least until I can try an Alfa Free on...
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:33 pm

wabene wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:25 pm
lilcliffy wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:03 pm
wabene wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:51 pm
The was the Falketind 62 Xplore formerly known as just the Falketind 62.
Question or statement? :ugeek:
Lol, a statement that needed editing.

That was the Falketind 62 Xplore formerly known as just the Falketind 62.
I'm still confused mon ami!
Do you mean that was the FTX in the video- not the Rabb 68?
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

wabene
Ski style: Stiff kneed and wide eyed.
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Gamme, Fischer SB98, Mashus M50, M78, Pano M62
Favorite boots: Crispi Svartsen 75mm, Scarpa T4

Post by wabene » Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:43 pm

lilcliffy wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:33 pm
wabene wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:25 pm
lilcliffy wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:03 pm

Question or statement? :ugeek:
Lol, a statement that needed editing.

That was the Falketind 62 Xplore formerly known as just the Falketind 62.
I'm still confused mon ami!
Do you mean that was the FTX in the video- not the Rabb 68?
I was responding to this from @TheMusher "On the other hand, weren’t these skis re-released last year as a part of the xplore collection?" thinking he was mistaking the renaming of the Falketind by adding the word Explore. :geek:

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:26 pm

@lilcliffy The Rotte ST skis well with the cable attached, I use just enough spring pressure for the heel throw to close. It is nowhere close to skiing without the cable. Sometimes I ski into an area I want to make turns in, attach the cables, then make laps.
I really don’t want to put risers on my ski, but it is the most practical way to attach and detach a cable quickly.
My Alaska BC is a better downhill boot than the Alaska 75 without the cable.
$1000 for a boot is too rich for me. Johnny did a nice boot comparison. I have not skied all the boots he rated, however his ratings were quite accurate on the boots I know.

Tom M
Ski style: Skate on Groomed, XCD Off, Backcountry Tele
Favorite Skis: Fischer S-Bound 98 Off Trail, Voile V6 BC for Tele
Favorite boots: Currently skiing Alfa Vista, Alfa Free, Scarpa T2
Website: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCam0VG ... shelf_id=1

Post by Tom M » Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:31 pm

lilcliffy wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:30 pm

Considering Xplore-
I am concerned that the Alfa Free will not work for my low-volume foot...(and it is one hell of a lot of cash if it doesn't- can you f'in believe that the Alfa Free boot is currently selling for $1000CAN retail!!!!!?)
And if the only current Xplore boots that will work for my feet are either the Alaska XP or the leather Alfa XPs- what is the point of all the extra cost?
Would an Alaska Xplore be THAT much better than an Alaska NNNBC setup- when you consider +200% extra cost?
My point-
What is the point of moving to Xplore unless one fits comfortably into a downhill-oriented boot like the Alfa Free?

I think I should wait until there are more boot choices- or at least until I can try an Alfa Free on...
It is clear that Alfa needs some competition. The Free currently costs more than the Scarpa T2, so I guess they are making them from unicorn farts.

From what I can ascertain, these should retail for less than $450 USD.
Non Alfa Explore Options.jpg
Fischer Transnordic, Lundhang Expedition, Alpina Pioneer Pro

DG99

Post by DG99 » Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:19 pm

TheMusher wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 3:29 pm
Been thinking the same.

On the other hand, weren’t these skis re-released last year as a part of the xplore collection?

Edit: Here’s the film where it’s demonstrated with xplore and Alfa free.
Nice video! There’s definitely some skills factors, also expectations factors.

With a light soft boot, you can do like in that video, let it run, don’t try to turn too hard, zip right along. If you have higher expectations, say to muscle some turns through deeper or more difficult snow, or tighten up your turns on steeper slopes, it’s tougher. But if you’re into sticking to shallower slopes, maybe don’t expect to link turns on steep slopes or in tough snow, then the light/soft boots are fine.

RabbitEars
Ski style: Tipsy Moose
Favorite Skis: Asnes Kongsvold (SB 98s demoted)
Favorite boots: Maybe the Alaska

Post by RabbitEars » Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:51 pm

I finally gave up on 3pin and converted to NNNBC last season. After spending a lot of money on several different pairs in the end none worked for me. I bought The Rabb this year and I’m having Neptune Mountaineering mount with xplore. I got the Alfa Skaget which feels VERY similar to the Alaska only a tiny bit more supportive. Alfa’s sizing is very weird though. I’m solidly 47 in nearly everything but it was the 45 that fit me best. Can’t wait to hear what you think of them @lilcliffy.

Peter P
Ski style: Converted skate skier
Favorite Skis: Rabb68

Post by Peter P » Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:25 am

I ordered both the Alfa Free and Alaska XP when I bought my Rabb/Xplore skis this year. Based on recommendations here I ordered the Alaska in size 44 and the Alfa in size 43. Was somewhat surprised to find out they are both built on the same sized Xplore sole. They line up exactly. I figured Rottefella soles would have a dedicated size, but the only size indicator on either boot is a "44" sticker on the Alaska.

I went with the Alaska and the Alfas are going back to REI today. The Alaskas felt like they were custom made for me when I laced them up, and the Alfas felt uncomfortable around the ankle.
Boots.jpg

beeeweee

Post by beeeweee » Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:14 pm

Peter P wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:25 am
I ordered both the Alfa Free and Alaska XP when I bought my Rabb/Xplore skis this year. Based on recommendations here I ordered the Alaska in size 44 and the Alfa in size 43. Was somewhat surprised to find out they are both built on the same sized Xplore sole. They line up exactly. I figured Rottefella soles would have a dedicated size, but the only size indicator on either boot is a "44" sticker on the Alaska.

I went with the Alaska and the Alfas are going back to REI today. The Alaskas felt like they were custom made for me when I laced them up, and the Alfas felt uncomfortable around the ankle.
@Peter P how does the boot feel when flexed? I tried the Alaska BC recently and it felt good until I flexed them to get into a telemark stance and the boot would crush my talus on my trailing foot. It happened on both feet enough so there’d be no way I could wear them for any real skiing.

Was the Alfa Free fit one size down similar to the Alaska? I’m normally somewhere between 39-40 for hiking shoes. The Alaska BC in 39 felt snug but had the fit issues mentioned. Knowing this, I recently ordered a pair of Alfa Skaget one size down, 38, so hopefully that will fit well. It seems everyone here is going down at least 1 size on their Alfa boots compared to Alpina.

Peter P
Ski style: Converted skate skier
Favorite Skis: Rabb68

Post by Peter P » Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:43 am

I didn't spend much time in the tele stance the two times I've skied on them (still have a lot to learn) but I did try that with both boots standing on my skis at home. I didn't notice any discomfort in my talus for either boot. I did notice the difference in flex points between the two boots that has been written about the in the reviews of the two boots. The Alaskas did feel much more comfortable overall, which is why I went with them.

The Alfa Frees I tried were size 43 and the Alaskas were 44. The fit (from a size perspective) was the same for both boots, which isn't a surprise considering they were built on the same sole. I expect the Skagets in 38 will be the right size for you based on the difference I felt between the Free and the Alaska.