Xplore & the advantages of stiff stole for XC

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
JohnSKepler
Ski style: XCBCD
Favorite Skis: Voile Objective BC, Rossignol BC 80
Favorite boots: Scarpa F1 Bellows, Alpina Alaska XP

Re: Xplore & the advantages of stiff stole for XC

Post by JohnSKepler » Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:02 pm

mca80 wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:56 am
Johnny wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:18 am
People stuck in the past and older technology will never be able to see and even apprehend new innovations and progress, blinded by their own ignorance and their retarded last millennium beliefs.
There are many reasons to prefer older technologies and this doesn't preclude apprehension of new innovations. Some examples: cheaper; durable (new innovations haven't withstood the test of time precisely because they are new); simpler; less dependent upon complex systems (it takes rudimentary knowledge to fix most things on a truck from the 60s, sometimes not even possible on today's trucks with all the computers); I could go on, but this should be sufficient to make the point that embracing every new advance isn't necessarily the best approach.
Isn't @Johnny an/The Admin? I propose changing the name of this thread from physics to philosophy. They come from the same root and, at one time (not that long ago) were the same thing.

There was once this thing call wisdom that wasn't intelligence, it wasn't charisma, and it didn't involve shouting loudly on social media (not that anyone on TT would ever do that!) It was understanding Truth, having the ability to see intersections between things, seeing change for what it is, and using this intuitive sense called "wisdom" to make value judgments that somehow predicted what turned out to be the correct path.

People do get stuck in the past and, in our case, married to older technology for a variety of reasons. People are also enamored of change for a variety of reasons. Being emotionally driven in either case is not wise. Being emotionally driven doesn't mean you can't come to a correct conclusion but it does mean coming to the correct conclusion is likely random. At the same time, wisdom can arrive at truth but doesn't guarantee the goals important to one person or another will be achieved, or not.

I remember these business owners back east who became emotionally tied to their old Fortran missile simulation when the newer technology (C and C++) were taking over. There are still some things about Fortran that I prefer but for building embedded systems, C and C++ were/are clearly superior. Those guys lost a lot of business by being emotionally driven. It ruined the company but they somehow walked away rich. Were they wise? They did achieve their goals but a lot of good people got hurt.

Where wisdom is leading me here is to wonder where the Xplore/Cable frankenbinding is or if I'm going to have to figure that out on my own! :D
Veni, Vidi, Viski

mca80
Ski style: Over the river and through the woods
Favorite Skis: Nansen, Finnmark, Kongsvold, Combat NATO, Fischer Superlite, RCS
Favorite boots: Crispi Bre, Hook, Alpina 1600, Alico Ski March, Crispi Mountain

Post by mca80 » Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:10 pm

People with the assumption that new innovation and progress are always good things will be blinded by their own ignorance and retarded subservience to technology that this isn't always the case.

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:12 pm

The three pin system is probably the sloppiest of them all, but it works. I would have tried NNN a long time ago but couldn't find a boot that fit.

As I can see becoming an East Coast resort skier some day I would like to demo NTN. I'm a never say never guy. For the skiing I do now NTN doesn't have a light enough boot for me.

wabene
Ski style: Stiff kneed and wide eyed.
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Gamme, Fischer SB98, Mashus M50, M78, Pano M62
Favorite boots: Crispi Svartsen 75mm, Scarpa T4

Post by wabene » Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:21 pm

3 pin, sloppy, whaaaaa!? :evil:

GrimSurfer
Ski style: Nordic Backcountry
Favorite Skis: Yes
Favorite boots: Uh huh

Post by GrimSurfer » Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:30 pm

mca80 wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:10 pm
People with the assumption that new innovation and progress are always good things will be blinded by their own ignorance and retarded subservience to technology that this isn't always the case.
That works both ways.

In general, however, advances in materials and design have delivered consistently better performance in just about every technical field. People often focus on initial teething problems and reject new tech long after it has been perfected.

Rottefella is doing the right thing by controlling sole manufacturing. It will prevent the tech being let down by boot makers shaving dollars (and reliability) from the pins and soles. This will likely translate into some quick and effective mods, should user failures reach the threshold needed to rule out abuse or normal production errors.
We dreamed of riding waves of air, water, snow, and energy for centuries. When the conditions were right, the things we needed to achieve this came into being. Every idea man has ever had up to that point about time and space were changed. And it keeps on changing whenever we dream. Bio mechanical jazz, man.

mca80

Post by mca80 » Tue Jan 17, 2023 2:27 pm

GrimSurfer wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:30 pm
In general, however, advances in materials and design have delivered consistently better performance in just about every technical field.
True, but at what cost? A question very few ask, and those enamored with "progress" are unable to even ask. Ivan Illich once made a clever argument that the bicycle is faster than the automobile.

On a related note:

Edit: P.S. I am writing this after a nice sauna, a very old technology that is vastly superior to a shower. Complete with pine tar soap and shampoo, and some pine tar flavored salmiakki candy to go with the vodka. Tempted to get some old woodies solely for the purpose of prepping them with torch and tar. Will put 3pin on them just for tradition and order Alico SM. Question is, does a cable transmit force?

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Tue Jan 17, 2023 3:06 pm

mca80 wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 2:27 pm
Question is, does a cable transmit force?
I think that was concluded in another thread. The cable creates the force, the bof transmits it to the ski and the ski edge transmits it to the snow. I think that's all you need to know about it.

Nitram Tocrut
Ski style: Backyard XC skiing if that is a thing
Favorite Skis: Sverdrup and MT51
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska NNNBC

Post by Nitram Tocrut » Tue Jan 17, 2023 3:15 pm

Is it just me or I feel like this thread is about to derail even more from the OP question?

If TTalk was a train, there we would be so many train wreck!

Just saying ;)

mca80

Post by mca80 » Tue Jan 17, 2023 3:19 pm

lowangle al wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 3:06 pm
mca80 wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 2:27 pm
Question is, does a cable transmit force?
I think that was concluded in another thread. The cable creates the force, the bof transmits it to the ski and the ski edge transmits it to the snow. I think that's all you need to know about it.
I was just being a smartass, sorry.

TheMusher
Ski style: Telemark / BC / Nordic sled

Post by TheMusher » Tue Jan 17, 2023 3:26 pm

Haha at this point I appreciate the enthusiasm.

I’ll soon do an attempt to summarize what I’ve heard thus far. High level summary- the opinion seems split in two categories:

1) Rottefella nailed it with the Xplore
2) Xplore seems too stiff for my endeavors.

Interestingly, most in category 2 haven’t tried it yet. Maybe not surprising, given their perception is not compatible with the investment.

Category 1 seems especially pleased with Alpina Alaska XP and the precise flex point of the sole, which apparently is particularly important when the sole in general is so stiff. Think this is a valuable insight. They also appreciate that it is just flexi enough for striding/easy kick & glide and using the BoF downhill, but not more. This category also seem made up of super-users and contributors (Lilcliffy, Tom M, Johnny)

Then you have the undecided, like you and me, who also haven’t tried it yet.

I’ll add some other considerations soon.

Edit: Free Johnny. Still digesting the fact that he is committed to combat gravitation with a free pivot..