X-skins on Combat NATO

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
mca80
Ski style: Over the river and through the woods
Favorite Skis: Nansen, Finnmark, Kongsvold, Combat NATO, Fischer Superlite, RCS
Favorite boots: Crispi Bre, Hook, Alpina 1600, Alico Ski March, Crispi Mountain

X-skins on Combat NATO

Post by mca80 » Mon Apr 17, 2023 6:07 pm

I read an earlier post here that the x-skins plastic clip doesn't fit into the recessed part of the Combat NATO. Does this cause any protusion that inhibits glide any more than it would with Asnes' other skis without the milled spot for skin attachment? Also, skiing without skins, does that milled area have an impact?

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Re: X-skins on Combat NATO

Post by lilcliffy » Tue Apr 18, 2023 7:19 am

I use both the old "skin-lock" (metal attachment cover) and the current "x-skin" (plastic attachment cover) with the Combat NATO-
I have not noticed any fit or performance issues with either...
I will check the two tonight to see if there is any difference that I can see or feel with my hand.

I use kick wax much more than kicker skins on this ski-

Although I would prefer a completely smooth base on this ski- I am almost universally thrilled with it- so I won't complain!

The only way to know the difference would be to able to test the old Ingstad against the equivalent-length Combat NATO.
The Breidablikk BC is a Combat NATO without steel edges- which will significantly change the weight and flex of the ski- so it would not be an equivalent comparison to the Combat NATO.
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

fgd135
Ski style: Yes, sometimes.
Favorite Skis: Most of them
Favorite boots: Boots that fit

Post by fgd135 » Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:49 am

I don't have a pair of the military skins, but use both the 30mm mohair and 58mm nylon Asnes skins with the plastic leading edge covers, on my Combats. Never had any issues at all. My experience is also that the milled section for the skins doesn't interfere with k & g when waxing, or turning.
"To me, gracefulness on skis should be the end-all of the sport" --Stein Eriksen

mca80

Post by mca80 » Tue Apr 18, 2023 11:04 am

Great, thank you both. I forget where I read that the newer plastic bit caused issues, old thread. But good to know it is not an issue.

CwmRaider
Ski style: XC-(D) tinkerer
Favorite Skis: Åsnes FT62 XP, Børge Ousland
Occupation: Very precise measurements of very small quantities.

Post by CwmRaider » Tue Apr 18, 2023 11:49 pm

mca80 wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 11:04 am
Great, thank you both. I forget where I read that the newer plastic bit caused issues, old thread. But good to know it is not an issue.
I possibly wrote somewhere that the plastic clip didn't fit in the recess.The recess is designed for the metal clip but has no function, good or bad with the plastic clip.
While using a metal clip X skin, it may have less drag compared to the same skin on another Åsnes ski.
I think only the nylon X skin is easy to find with metal clip nowadays anyways, and using a mohair skin will provide much better glide regardless.

Theme
Ski style: Nordic BCX
Favorite Skis: Still searching
Favorite boots: Alfa Outback 2.0
Occupation: Hiker trash, gear junkie, ski bum and anything inbetween

Post by Theme » Wed Apr 19, 2023 5:52 pm

Roelant wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 11:49 pm
mca80 wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 11:04 am
I possibly wrote somewhere that the plastic clip didn't fit in the recess.The recess is designed for the metal clip but has no function, good or bad with the plastic clip.
While using a metal clip X skin, it may have less drag compared to the same skin on another Åsnes ski.
I think only the nylon X skin is easy to find with metal clip nowadays anyways, and using a mohair skin will provide much better glide regardless.
I saw some newer Combat Natos in a shop recently. The milled area is significantly wider, to accommodate the plastic clip. Some older Natos probably have a narrower recession for the old metal clip.

mca80

Post by mca80 » Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:06 pm

Cool, thanks. So at worst it's a non-issue, and at best it may reduce friction.

With the titinal plate in there, are there any special considerations for mounting bindings or no?

Also, how does climbing short (20-30m) quite steep hills compare to, say, a Gamme?

For a friend, how will a 210 handle someone 105kg seeking to get down to 90kg?

And, lastly, @lilcliffy, I know you are pleased with how it tracks and the k&g for a wide ski with such sidecut.... how much slower/less efficient than Amundsen for flat/rolling/non-turning trip of, say, 22km roundtrip on a forest road that has snowmobile tracks in center but untouched snow on the edges for a section of the trip? Could be any type of snow depending on weather. And then hardpack/ice for a section (which shouldn't matter too much because I have taken to skating the section where they plow the gravel forest service road and dont plow all the way but leave a super-compacted base--skated Finnmark and Nansen, both superior on that kinda surface to classic diaganol with any type of ski I imagine, cumbersome with the long length, maybe more cumbersome with a more cambered ski, but I learned to ice skate as soon as I could walk so the action is second nature whereas classic stride is less than 2yrs in the making).

Manney
needs to take stock of his life
needs to take stock of his life

Post by Manney » Wed Apr 19, 2023 11:02 pm

Mounted bindings on a set last year. Pretty standard. Need to go a bit bigger on the hole diameter because of the titinal plate. It’s not a thick plate, so tapping isn’t needed…imo. Just use extra downforce when tightening fasteners… as much as you can muster with shoulder and upper body. Think there’s some carbon fiber in there too… bit of black shavings coming out of the hole… visible just below the polyester cap. Can’t tell if it’s on top or under the titinal plate. Definitely above wood core though.

I have 200s but am ~175# dry, ~190# equipped. 210 would be ok for 200# skier. 225# would be pushing it… especially if that 225# is dry weight. The same for any ski with that sized skier. Big ski to “skate” though. I’m not sure if I agree with camber and a half folks talk about. Moderately soft camber to me. Other views may differ. See these as more powder, glade ski tbh. Don’t need, want big camber for those conditions.

Will let Lilcliffy provide his views on how they ski. He’s probably spent more time on them.
Go Ski

lilcliffy
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4

Post by lilcliffy » Thu Apr 20, 2023 7:49 pm

I cannot see or measure any difference in the profile of the X-Skin attachment on Combat NATO- with the recessed attachment point- vs the Ingstad BC- as the plastic attchment cover has a larger footprint than the recessed area-
see photo-
PXL_20230420_232851585.jpg
The metal attachment clip of the Skin-Lock has a smaller footprint than the plastic X-Skin- therefore, it does sit slightly lower into the base than it does on the Ingstad.
Very slight difference- and not one that I have been able to notice. Again would have to test against the old Ingstad in an equivalent length to have a true comparison.

lilcliffy

Post by lilcliffy » Thu Apr 20, 2023 7:57 pm

mca80 wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:06 pm
With the titinal plate in there, are there any special considerations for mounting bindings or no?
I did not change anything when I mounted the Combat NATO- no issues.
Also, how does climbing short (20-30m) quite steep hills compare to, say, a Gamme?
More grip than the Gamme due to more width underfoot and longer effective surface area (no rocker).
For a friend, how will a 210 handle someone 105kg seeking to get down to 90kg?
Well- I can comfortably squash the camber of the 210 at 82kg.
.... how much slower/less efficient than Amundsen for flat/rolling/non-turning trip of, say, 22km roundtrip on a forest road that has snowmobile tracks in center but untouched snow on the edges for a section of the trip? Could be any type of snow depending on weather. And then hardpack/ice for a section (which shouldn't matter too much because I have taken to skating the section where they plow the gravel forest service road and dont plow all the way but leave a super-compacted base--skated Finnmark and Nansen, both superior on that kinda surface to classic diaganol with any type of ski I imagine, cumbersome with the long length, maybe more cumbersome with a more cambered ski, but I learned to ice skate as soon as I could walk so the action is second nature whereas classic stride is less than 2yrs in the making)

The Combat NATO is a less efficient XC ski than the Amundsen in almost every context- except truly deep soft snow.
Though the Combat NATO is a very good XC ski in every context.
Amundsen a better skating ski than the Combat due to less sidecut.