Manney, and similar…

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
mca80
Ski style: Over the river and through the woods
Favorite Skis: Nansen, Finnmark, Kongsvold, Combat NATO, Fischer Superlite, RCS
Favorite boots: Crispi Bre, Hook, Alpina 1600, Alico Ski March, Crispi Mountain

Re: Manney, and similar…

Post by mca80 » Tue May 16, 2023 10:08 am

lowangle al wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 10:01 am
You just have to accept that light gear will have a lower speed limit for safe skiing.
Won't deny that. The older I get the slower I want to go, anyway. I remember when younger flying down on a mountain in the Adirondacks on my touring bicycle fully loaded with what musta been 60 lbs of gear at 50mph. These days I would be pumping the brakes the whole way to ensure I didn't breach 30mph.

Manney
needs to take stock of his life

Post by Manney » Tue May 16, 2023 12:04 pm

lowangle al wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 10:01 am
You just have to accept that light gear will have a lower speed limit for safe skiing.
Depends on how speed is measured… and the terrain. Narrow skis are faster on firm flats when pushed. At least 30% faster than a moderately wide ski. No difference in climb with full length skins… like any ski, you have grip of not. Width isn’t as much of an issue. Legs much fresher at the top… even fresher not lugging a 5 lb boot.

Wider skis aren’t faster. Little easier to control over a moderately wide ski. Much easier to control than a narrower ski on the DH.

Same thing for a light tele binding vs Xplore.

On a tour the time spent flat, going up is 4-6X longer than going down. Provides a lot of room to take your time on the descent on narrower skis and still be “faster” overall.

It’s not a this-or-that, take-it-or-leave it deal. More of a strategy, philosophy, zen thing… informed by risk tolerance and skill level but not restricted to it.
Go Ski

Capercaillie
Ski style: trying not to fall too much
Favorite Skis: Alpina 1500T, Kazama Telemark Comp
Favorite boots: Alfa Horizon, Crispi Nordland, Scarpa T4

Post by Capercaillie » Tue May 16, 2023 4:47 pm

I did not read through this whole thread, so apologies if I am repeating things, but the obvious needs to be stated:

Manney/GrimSurfer is a mentally ill troll with a serious compulsive posting problem.

Also, there is now AI generated garbage being posted:

https://telemarktalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5924

https://telemarktalk.com/viewtopic.php? ... 073#p61073

Both of those accounts have 1 post each. When I signed up, the first post had to be approved by a moderator.

I am not happy with the way this board is being moderated.

Lhartley

Post by Lhartley » Tue May 16, 2023 4:53 pm

But AI is awesome, my very awesome very honest liberal government told me if I learn to code I can work from home and robots and AI will do all the hard work

Manney

Post by Manney » Tue May 16, 2023 6:00 pm

Capercaillie wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 4:47 pm
I did not read through this whole thread, so apologies if I am repeating things, but the obvious needs to be stated:

Manney/GrimSurfer is a mentally ill troll with a serious compulsive posting problem.

https://telemarktalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5924

Both of those accounts have 1 post each. When I signed up, the first post had to be approved by a moderator.

~”Didn’t read everything, or anything, but I’m going to stand on a soapbox, douse myself in gasoline, and call other people insane… complain AI is taking over the internet”. LOL

Don’t need to read everything. A word from the mod…. Abridged version

https://www.telemarktalk.com/viewtopic. ... =70#p61047
Johnny wrote:
Mon May 15, 2023 4:07 pm
lowangle al wrote:
Fri May 12, 2023 10:11 am
Unfortunately if we don't react to Manney he'll dominate the forum with bad info.
The only bad info here so far is your fucking batshit crazy claims about me. Nothing else. I much prefer the truth than the imagined disinformation bullshit you are spreading around and recommending to the newbies here.
Stephen wrote:
Sun May 14, 2023 4:53 pm
Manney has a choice in how he participates; so far, it seems to mostly antagonize and agitate
Sometimes agitation is the only solution to scrub out hardened toxic rotten batshit. I liked this one:

"On occasion, civility can and should be breached in order to honor truth.
lowangle al wrote:
Fri May 12, 2023 10:11 am
It's no coincidence that the only time this place goes to shit is when he shows up.
Because he is telling the truth. Cold hard truth is hard to take. So hard that you simply ignore and deny it. But it’s much better in my book than spreading pieces of shit everywhere and making false claims about other honest and passionate people.
Es claro?
Capercaillie wrote:
LOL. Snort. You should apply for a full refund before you leave on your sabbatical to research imposter syndrome. Take Al with you. Will come in handy for your case study. LOL
Go Ski

Stephen
Ski style: Aspirational
Favorite Skis: Armada Tracer 118 (195), Gamme (210), Ingstad (205), Objective BC (178)
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance, Scarpa TX Pro
6’3” / 191cm — 172# / 78kg, size 47 / 30 mondo

Post by Stephen » Tue May 16, 2023 6:28 pm

Capercaillie wrote:
@Capercaillie, very interesting observation.
Now that I re-read that post it seems very obvious that AI could have generated it.
I wonder if this would be AI randomly wandering around the Internet joining and posting, or directed to do so by an actual human being? Not that it matters…

Then again, some people think the WHOLE thing could be AI…
In which case, I would like to order up an alternate outcome on my recent injury, and more powder, please?

Capercaillie
Ski style: trying not to fall too much
Favorite Skis: Alpina 1500T, Kazama Telemark Comp
Favorite boots: Alfa Horizon, Crispi Nordland, Scarpa T4

Post by Capercaillie » Tue May 16, 2023 10:42 pm

Stephen wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 6:28 pm
Now that I re-read that post it seems very obvious that AI could have generated it.
I wonder if this would be AI randomly wandering around the Internet joining and posting, or directed to do so by an actual human being? Not that it matters…
That particular post looks distinctly like something that would be generated by ChatGPT if you ask it to summarize bauerb's original post. What gives it away is that the bullet point summary has nothing to do with off-season training.

The cool new thing to do among a certain group of enthusiasts is to see how many people you can fool with AI generated content. It's someone trolling this forum. Possibly it is a trial run for automating disguised spam comments like what happened in this other post:

https://telemarktalk.com/viewtopic.php? ... ess#p58747

It might not be all bad. Note how ChatGPT is far more polite and coherent than Manney/GrimSurfer.

Manney

Post by Manney » Tue May 16, 2023 10:50 pm

Hey, at least ChatGPT digests posted material before chucking out shit… You post shit without digesting any posted material… so who’s the real “A” here? LOL. Snort.

https://www.telemarktalk.com/viewtopic. ... =70#p61047
Go Ski

Stephen
Ski style: Aspirational
Favorite Skis: Armada Tracer 118 (195), Gamme (210), Ingstad (205), Objective BC (178)
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance, Scarpa TX Pro
6’3” / 191cm — 172# / 78kg, size 47 / 30 mondo

Post by Stephen » Tue May 16, 2023 11:05 pm

Capercaillie wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 10:42 pm
Stephen wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 6:28 pm
That particular post looks distinctly like something that would be generated by ChatGPT if you ask it to summarize bauerb's original post. What gives it away is that the bullet point summary has nothing to do with off-season training.

The cool new thing to do among a certain group of enthusiasts is to see how many people you can fool with AI generated content. It's someone trolling this forum. Possibly it is a trial run for automating disguised spam comments like what happened in this other post:

https://telemarktalk.com/viewtopic.php? ... ess#p58747

It might not be all bad. Note how ChatGPT is far more polite and coherent than Manney/GrimSurfer.
This is like looking at one of those "What's different between these two pictures? things.
Just take an existing post, ad a link for your product, and voila, the money rolls in!

On the one hand, it's easy to think a site mod should cull these users.
On the other hand, who would want to waste their time doing that?
I mean, Facebook, with their billions, can't even keep the Russian's from trying to influence elections...

AI isn't going to kill us, just drown us in our own poo...

Manney

Post by Manney » Tue May 16, 2023 11:19 pm

A reasonable concern is that AI will magnify posted BS, using it to sell stuff to ppl who believe their own hype.

That’s really what Johnny is trying to prevent… Chat GPT, groupthink, bullshit bingo, clans and press gangs… on a certain level, it all reads the same when there isn’t anything standing in the way to challenge it. 80 proof BS. Distilled further and further until it becomes trvth.

That’s the big picture. Not whether anyone gets voted off the island. This is why complaining about how the forum is currently moderated (~open rules) misses the big picture: protecting the challenge function against BS so our eyes don’t turn brown.

Go Ski