RFK speech, not what I expected. It’s worth 40 minutes

This is the place to debate politics, global warming, and yes, even the origin of man, whatever. Simply put, if you want to argue about off topic stuff, you've found the right board. Have fun!
wooley12

Re: RFK speech, not what I expected. It’s worth 40 minutes

Post by wooley12 » Mon Sep 02, 2024 6:13 pm

2001: A Space Odyssey. Just watched that again with my wife last week. We saw it in '68 on a date. Deep flick still today. My grand kids need to see it.

SciFi plus X time = Reality it seems. We live in interesting times but Giving up is not an option.

blitzskier

Post by blitzskier » Mon Sep 02, 2024 7:25 pm

wooley12 wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2024 6:13 pm
2001: A Space Odyssey. Just watched that again with my wife last week. We saw it in '68 on a date. Deep flick still today. My grand kids need to see it.

SciFi plus X time = Reality it seems. We live in interesting times but Giving up is not an option.
have you watched "Fly me to the Moon" on Amzn prime? interesting to see the vast depth of propaganda used on the American people and the theft of our tax dolars back in the 1960- 1970's. funny how the old ideology of space is still well impregnated in the minds of Americans

Kubrick let the cat out of the bag. most people are awake to his exposure of the BS onto the minds of the plebs..

I have a feeling more truth is about to get leaked , but its done on purpose to move out the old guard in this country

Lhartley

Post by Lhartley » Mon Sep 02, 2024 9:22 pm

wooley12 wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2024 4:59 pm
So where do youu get your news from? I'd like to bookmark it in my News folder.

Elon is asking for a Totally Free Market. From what I see, 90% of American media outlets (Radio, TV, digital and print) are owned by 2 or 3 politically right wing companies. I listen to a dozen of their rural AM talk radio shows and read the on line editions of their local news that the same companies own.

In a "totally" free market I could sell fentanyl if I had people willing to buy it, no? Of course not. Can I tape NFL games and show them on my X feed? Nope. "Totally free markets" is a red herring. There are none in world now as far as I know there never was one. Even the Iroquois Nation managed the fur trade from Canada with a tax on the imports.

Maybe I'm missing an example of a successful "totally" free market and you can help me here.
You got a source for that claim on 90 percent of media being owned by 3 right wing groups?
Screenshot_20240902_191826_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Lhartley

Post by Lhartley » Mon Sep 02, 2024 9:33 pm

Stephen wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2024 5:49 pm
It seems naïve to expect things to work in some utopian version of reality:

1. Everyone has their own version of that reality and those versions don’t all match;
2. As soon as money and power enter the equation, the sinful nature of man goes to work overtime (listen, I am really no religious fanatic, but it’s hard to ignore the more base impulses of human nature);
3. Our larger social structures (like governments) try to put up some guard rails (often with negative and unintended consequences), like for example subsidizing agriculture to insure a stable food supply, or industries, to protect national defense. Sending certain technology and manufacturing capabilities to foreign countries puts a country at risk during times of international conflict. Or, in the case of news media, letting the dominant source of information becoming “free” from the internet, at the expense of traditional sources of information, has all sorts of negative consequences. Is it smart to let a small number of people with HUGE financial resources shape the narrative (whether Musk with X or dark money funded super PACs).

Complain all you want, but expecting things to work “right” is folly, and only gets worse with “advancements” in technology. I love the positive benefits of technology, but the negatives have only gotten worse since we figured out how to hit each other with sticks.
IMG_3891.jpeg

/That’s my one rant for today. :lol:
Again, who is this small number of people controlling the narrative. And if governments ban rhe media on these platforms. Aren't they just contributing to the monopoly on the narrative? These mediums are how people are going to consume information, "like it or not"

wooley12

Post by wooley12 » Mon Sep 02, 2024 9:57 pm

blitzskier wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2024 7:25 pm

have you watched "Fly me to the Moon" on Amzn prime? interesting to see the vast depth of propaganda used on the American people and the theft of our tax dolars back in the 1960- 1970's.
No NF here. I'll have to find a way to watch it. Read the wiki. I like space comedies.

'60's and 70's I was in my max earning years as a independent contractor. I don't remember much talk about taxes being robbery, just "high, oh my." I do recall more legal write offs and it was easier to cook the books a little. Can't do that today unless you're in an all cash business.

wooley12

Post by wooley12 » Mon Sep 02, 2024 10:09 pm

Lhartley wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2024 9:22 pm

You got a source for that claim on 90 percent of media being owned by 3 right wing groups?

Well that's a useful chart. Google says there are over 3500 news outlets Americans can access.

Lhartley

Post by Lhartley » Mon Sep 02, 2024 10:20 pm

Ya well it was a lot more useful than your statement. Post some receipts.

Lhartley

Post by Lhartley » Mon Sep 02, 2024 10:59 pm

Because I find this topic really interesting, I find partisanship fascinating.

So here's what I found:

https://www.webfx.com/blog/internet/the ... fographic/

The claim that 90 percent of the media is controlled by certain figures is correct apparently. The number is 6 though, not three

Sumner Redstone (Paramount/global): Republican

Bob Iger (Disney): Democrat

Jeff Bewkes(Time Werner): Republican

Time Wermer was bought by At&T. Ceo is John Stankey, Known Republican

Ruper Madoch(newscorp): Republican, but debatable. Fox News took a massive turn post Trump. Very apparent during covid. Is he still a republican or is he now endorsing democrats a la George Bush etc. Again, debatable and inconclusive.

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/ ... e-00047748

Brian L. Roberts (Comcast): Democrat

Ken-ichi Yoshida (sony): unclear/no affiliates. He's Japanese soooooo prolly not a "right winger"

This was just a quick rumble in the search engines. Would appreciate any input. I just find it hard to believe the claim that right wingers control the media when any time spent on any given media outlet is going to show a pretty clear bias in one way or the other and it's usually going to be against conservatives. But hey, I'm Canadian, wtf do I know. My media is censored

wooley12

Post by wooley12 » Tue Sep 03, 2024 12:45 am

Canadian, eh? are you familiar with " "You furnish the pictures. I'll furnish the war."? "Remember the Maine" . William Randolf Hearst. 1800's version of Rupert Murdoch. What has changed is to volume of outlets that can monetize yellow journalism form a basement office.

Lhartley

Post by Lhartley » Tue Sep 03, 2024 12:52 am

You're not gonna address the fact that you're full of shit are you.

Its like Stephen said. "Everyone has their own version of that reality and those versions don’t all match".

But, some things you can check with facts grounded in reality. Sometimes you gotta check yourself before you wreck yourself