Permanent Glide Wax?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
randoskier
Ski style: awkward
Favorite Skis: snow skis
Favorite boots: go-go

Permanent Glide Wax?

Post by randoskier » Tue Sep 24, 2024 3:10 am

Perhaps a good solution for skis with crown scales that only require glide wax?

https://www.dpsskis.com/collections/phantom-glide

Still waiting for permanent klister...oh wait it already is hehehehe.

RandomDude

Re: Permanent Glide Wax?

Post by RandomDude » Tue Sep 24, 2024 3:30 am

randoskier wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2024 3:10 am
Perhaps a good solution for skis with crown scales that only require glide wax?

https://www.dpsskis.com/collections/phantom-glide

Still waiting for permanent klister...oh wait it already is hehehehe.
I think it only works on sintered bases, not extruded.

randoskier
Ski style: awkward
Favorite Skis: snow skis
Favorite boots: go-go

Post by randoskier » Tue Sep 24, 2024 3:46 am

RandomDude wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2024 3:30 am
I think it only works on sintered bases, not extruded.
[/quote]

According to DPS- "PHANTOM will work with both sintered and extruded bases. We expect PHANTOM will last 1-2 base grinds on extruded bases before the benefits start to subside."

I'm a little skeptical and not gonna bet 150 bucks on this product. If anyone does please let me know how it went.

jtb

Post by jtb » Tue Sep 24, 2024 12:31 pm

I tried it on my Voile Objective BC's. I don't mind waxing, but hot waxing scales is a pain so I thought this would be a time saver. While Phantom may work OK for flat bases at the resort, it's not good for scales in the backcountry. Phantom leaves the bases with more stiction than wax. At the resort, you mostly only notice it in lift lines and when stopping and starting. When moving, the glide you get is somewhere between freshly waxed bases and bases with no wax.

But when climbing with scales or kick-and-glide, you're stopping and starting all the time. The stiction causes snow to build up on my scales, requiring constant kicks and shuffles to keep them clear. Note: I ski in the Sierras, where warm temps and wet snow make for worst-case glopping conditions.

The good thing, I guess, is that you can apply wax over Phantom. It's not irreversible. So that's what I do now. But I would say it was, if not a waste of money, a failed experiment. And I still occasionally have issues with snow glopping on the scales even with fresh wax, but it's not nearly as bad as with Phantom.

voilenerd

Post by voilenerd » Wed Sep 25, 2024 2:34 pm

jtb wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2024 12:31 pm
I tried it on my Voile Objective BC's. I don't mind waxing, but hot waxing scales is a pain so I thought this would be a time saver. While Phantom may work OK for flat bases at the resort, it's not good for scales in the backcountry. Phantom leaves the bases with more stiction than wax. At the resort, you mostly only notice it in lift lines and when stopping and starting. When moving, the glide you get is somewhere between freshly waxed bases and bases with no wax.

But when climbing with scales or kick-and-glide, you're stopping and starting all the time. The stiction causes snow to build up on my scales, requiring constant kicks and shuffles to keep them clear. Note: I ski in the Sierras, where warm temps and wet snow make for worst-case glopping conditions.

The good thing, I guess, is that you can apply wax over Phantom. It's not irreversible. So that's what I do now. But I would say it was, if not a waste of money, a failed experiment. And I still occasionally have issues with snow glopping on the scales even with fresh wax, but it's not nearly as bad as with Phantom.
Try Dominator Butter. It’s floro based rub on wax. Works wonders in spring sticky snow on fish scales. Dominator removes all the harmful Pfoas from their floro wax.