Leather 3-pin for SB112?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
stilltryin
Ski style: Wandering the untracked (by humans)
Favorite Skis: Voile V6 BC; Karhu XCD/GT
Favorite boots: Scarpa T3; Alpina Alaska NNN-BC

Leather 3-pin for SB112?

Post by stilltryin » Fri Oct 18, 2024 1:06 pm

I have a trusty pair of Scarpa T-3's, but sometimes I just don't want to go plastic. Any recommendations for a burly enough leather boot? I did see the Alico Mountain offered by Altai. I'm thinking the Alpina Alaska is on the soft side. The binding on the SB112 is Voile 3-pin cable, so the cable can help (but sometimes I just don't want to go cable!). :)

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Re: Leather 3-pin for SB112?

Post by fisheater » Fri Oct 18, 2024 6:16 pm

You could ski the S-112 with an Alaska 75. I am curious in regards to those Alico boots offered by both Altai, and Telemark Pyrenees. If I didn’t have a UK surplus Alico Ski March boot, I would purchase one of the previously mentioned Alico boots to supplement the Alaska in more challenging conditions.
I should have mentioned I have an Alaska 75, and skied an S-112 for several seasons

lemon

Post by lemon » Fri Oct 18, 2024 7:56 pm

The alico mountain is awesome. We have them at work. Havent skied them but I'll be getting those to replace my alaskas at some point. Beefy enough for the 112 IMO

JB TELE

Post by JB TELE » Fri Oct 18, 2024 8:55 pm

I tried on one of the Alico boots being sold by Altai. The fit was so odd. I can't imagine someone actually fitting into one.

Lhartley

Post by Lhartley » Fri Oct 18, 2024 9:24 pm

I picked up a pair of alico artic last year and also find they fit a little strange. The way the toe flexed in particular did not feel natural. Im sure they will get better with use. Hopefully anyways

stilltryin
Ski style: Wandering the untracked (by humans)
Favorite Skis: Voile V6 BC; Karhu XCD/GT
Favorite boots: Scarpa T3; Alpina Alaska NNN-BC

Post by stilltryin » Sat Oct 19, 2024 1:46 am

Thanks for the comments.
I have not been keeping up with the leather 3-pin offerings. It looks like the Crispi Svartisen and Bre would also hit the mark for driving a SB 112 class. I recall reading here something about Lundhags, too -- I guess I should research those all a bit -- it would be good to know how the leathers might compare in weight to my T3's.

telerat
Ski style: Telemark, backcountry nordic and cross country skiing.
Favorite Skis: Any ski suitable for telemark or backcountry skiing, with some side-cut for turning.
Favorite boots: Scarpa plastic telemark. Asolo and Alfa leather boots.

Post by telerat » Sat Oct 19, 2024 3:49 am

Notice that Lundhags advice against using the Guide Expedition 75mm with a 3-pin binding:
https://lundhags.com/eu/footwear/unisex ... 040439-900

Tom M
Ski style: Skate on Groomed, XCD Off, Backcountry Tele
Favorite Skis: Fischer S-Bound 98 Off Trail, Voile V6 BC for Tele
Favorite boots: Currently skiing Alfa Vista, Alfa Free, Scarpa T2
Website: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCam0VG ... shelf_id=1

Post by Tom M » Sat Oct 19, 2024 11:45 am

stilltryin wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2024 1:06 pm
I have a trusty pair of Scarpa T-3's, but sometimes I just don't want to go plastic. Any recommendations for a burly enough leather boot?
3 pin leathers ;) . I've spent most of my skiing life in 3 pin leathers. I've tried out, worn out, blew out and thrown out many pairs, most of which are no longer produced, but some which can be found in the used market. The pickings are pretty slim for new 3 pin leathers, so if you want to go that route you may have to get creative. As of Oct 2024, the only 3 pin leathers available from REI or Backcountry.com is the Alpina Alaska 75, and while I carpet tested a set many years ago, I've not skied them. At the time, I had just blown out a set of Fischer BCX 675's and was searching for a new boot. My carpet impression was that they would make a comfortable touring boot and sort of fit into the Goldilocks category of not too stiff and not too floppy, but the fit wasn't a good match for my foot. I ended up getting Rossignol BC X-12 to replace the Fischer Boots. The reason I mention this is that I was skiing a set of SBound 98's and SBound 125's with 3 pins, using Scarpa T4's when the focus was downhill, but I skied leathers most of the time for comfort reasons. The Rossignols only lasted about a year and I replaced them with a set of Alfa Greenlands, which was my favorite of the modern non welted 75 mm boots. None of these boots are available new, but if you can find a used set with intact pin holes for a great price, I think that you would be happy with them for the purpose you describe. There is another class of leather boot that I have not mentioned, and that is the old school very stiff and supportive welted boot. Boots of this type were the boot of choice in the 80's and 90's for freeheelers seeking the ultimate downhill performance at the time, and I skied a set of Merrell's with Swallow Telemark skis for a couple of decades before the plastic boot telemark scene. They were fine at the time, but the downhill performance of plastic boots is so much better, that I don't think they make much sense for a two boot quiver. Since you have T-3's, I don't see the point of a super stiff leather boot, unless you just want a nostalgic experience.
Fischer BCX 675 and the Rossignol BCX-12
2019.02.23 Fischer vs Ross Boot Part 1-00.05.42.405.jpeg
Alfa Greenland
2020.03.28 Alfa Greenland 75mm boot-00.00.38.264.jpeg
Merrell Welted Telemark Boot
Screenshot 2024-10-19 114010.jpg
Last edited by Tom M on Sat Oct 19, 2024 4:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Lhartley

Post by Lhartley » Sat Oct 19, 2024 12:17 pm

Voiles making ads for 3 pins, leathers, and endeavors. They been watching. They must be having better luck with 75mm Alaskas?
Screenshot_20241019_100949_Instagram.jpg
Screenshot_20241019_100943_Instagram.jpg
[attachment=1]Screenshot_20241019_100938_Instagram.jpg[/atta
Screenshot_20241019_100938_Instagram.jpg

telerat
Ski style: Telemark, backcountry nordic and cross country skiing.
Favorite Skis: Any ski suitable for telemark or backcountry skiing, with some side-cut for turning.
Favorite boots: Scarpa plastic telemark. Asolo and Alfa leather boots.

Post by telerat » Sat Oct 19, 2024 1:19 pm

Voile is making ads for and selling both 75 mm and Xplore, and they also reintroduced an older 3-pin binding, called Voile 201 to suit the thinner sole of Alpina Alaska. Video:

But even underneath a skilled skier on favorable conditions, the Endeavor is enough ski for both Alaska 75 and XP. Here is the same ski with a plastic boot:

I hope this is an indication of increased interest and like that, but am personally not interested. If I toured in soft soft snow on mellow terrain I might be, but I would likely seek out steeper terrain on my telemark gear.