Åsnes Combat Nato Waxless and other news?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Theme
Ski style: Nordic BCX
Favorite Skis: Still searching
Favorite boots: Alfa Outback 2.0
Occupation: Hiker trash, gear junkie, ski bum and anything inbetween

Åsnes Combat Nato Waxless and other news?

Post by Theme » Wed Sep 11, 2024 3:15 am

So, I hear from a local shop that the new and lighter, rockered version of the Nato will also have a Waxless option

https://hiihtopaketti.fi/tuote/asnes-na ... n-lopussa/

Also, there was preliminary talk of a Rabb 68 Combat, whatever that is going to be...

And the Alfa Outback will finally be available in XP

Anyone know of any other new gear coming up?

blitzskier

Re: Åsnes Combat Nato Waxless and other news?

Post by blitzskier » Thu Sep 12, 2024 1:03 am

https://www.ebay.com/itm/196216025158?_ ... S5K28NSFAV

shipping is pricing , any stateside vendors

skijack

Post by skijack » Sun Sep 15, 2024 3:50 am

blitzskier wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2024 1:03 am

shipping is pricing , any stateside vendors
The cost of overseas shipping typically ranges between 50-90€, depending on the contracts in place with shipping companies.
Theme wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2024 3:15 am
Kästle TX Series: The TX series is Kästle's line of touring and backcountry skis designed for both uphill efficiency and downhill performance.

https://kaestle.com/en-eu/collections/backcountry

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Sun Sep 15, 2024 6:43 pm

I don’t know if the skis (Kastle) are good, bad, or meh! I do know that the website provided little information. No listing of weight, or core materials.
The good news for me is I don’t need any skis. The bad news for Kastle, is I can’t be the only guy that isn’t interested in products, in which the website doesn’t provide much useful information. That would go to Fischer backcountry skis as well. However, Fischer skis have a loyal following that provides good reviews. I’m still not a fan.

JohnSKepler
Ski style: XCBCD
Favorite Skis: Voile Objective BC, Rossignol BC 80
Favorite boots: Scarpa F1 Bellows, Alpina Alaska XP

Post by JohnSKepler » Mon Sep 16, 2024 6:17 pm

I've been reading about some of you raving about the NATO for the past few years. Could be an interesting ski with a pattern base. Seems like it could be similar to, say, Fisher Excursion 88.

At 172 cm tall and 85 kg, and using their chart:

Kroppslengde...............Vekt (kg)........Skilengde
.....-160 cm..................– 60...............170 cm
160-170.....................55-70...............180
170-180.....................65-85...............190
180-190.....................75-90...............200
190-.........................90-..................210

I'd put myself in a 200 cm. Xplore binding with Lundhags Abisku should afford adequate control.

However, https://www.en.asnes.com/?s=Combat+NATO:

Does anyone understand the difference between these? The names and descriptions are similar but not the same but also don't really point out differences. The specs are the same except they come in very slightly different lengths. Same length range, but they're off by 5 cm. I might think the "BC" indicates a pattern base but there's no mention of that in the description. The pictures are slightly different, especially the ski tip. Is this the old and new version @Theme mentioned?
Theme wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2024 3:15 am
So, I hear from a local shop that the new and lighter, rockered version of the Nato will also have a Waxless option

https://hiihtopaketti.fi/tuote/asnes-na ... n-lopussa/

Also, there was preliminary talk of a Rabb 68 Combat, whatever that is going to be...

And the Alfa Outback will finally be available in XP

Still wondering if that Alpina Explore ski will ever show up... It kind of looks like Alpina may have gotten out of the ski-making business. I remember hearing something about their plant being in Ukraine... :-(
Veni, Vidi, Viski

Theme

Post by Theme » Fri Oct 04, 2024 6:39 pm

fisheater wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2024 6:43 pm
I don’t know if the skis (Kastle) are good, bad, or meh! I do know that the website provided little information. No listing of weight, or core materials.
The good news for me is I don’t need any skis. The bad news for Kastle, is I can’t be the only guy that isn’t interested in products, in which the website doesn’t provide much useful information. That would go to Fischer backcountry skis as well. However, Fischer skis have a loyal following that provides good reviews. I’m still not a fan.

Also heard they may or may not be based on Åsnes ski models

Theme

Post by Theme » Fri Oct 04, 2024 6:43 pm

JohnSKepler wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2024 6:17 pm
I've been reading about some of you raving about the NATO for the past few years. Could be an interesting ski with a pattern base. Seems like it could be similar to, say, Fisher Excursion 88.

At 172 cm tall and 85 kg, and using their chart:

Kroppslengde...............Vekt (kg)........Skilengde
.....-160 cm..................– 60...............170 cm
160-170.....................55-70...............180
170-180.....................65-85...............190
180-190.....................75-90...............200
190-.........................90-..................210

I'd put myself in a 200 cm. Xplore binding with Lundhags Abisku should afford adequate control.

However, https://www.en.asnes.com/?s=Combat+NATO:

Does anyone understand the difference between these? The names and descriptions are similar but not the same but also don't really point out differences. The specs are the same except they come in very slightly different lengths. Same length range, but they're off by 5 cm. I might think the "BC" indicates a pattern base but there's no mention of that in the description. The pictures are slightly different, especially the ski tip. Is this the old and new version @Theme mentioned?

The Nato BC is the old Nato Jeger I presume. Nato 62 is new model which is basically a reinforced and white coated Ingstad. And I believe the crown base version to be based off of this.

skijack

Post by skijack » Sat Oct 19, 2024 12:47 pm

It is common with military or specialized equipment that gets updates over time. The slightly different lengths and ski tips could be subtle improvements made in the design to align with updated requirements.

Military equipment, including skis, often needs to meet strict material or design specifications that are updated periodically. This could explain the very slight differences what is not necessary visible or written in specs. NATO may have new guidelines that require certain materials, construction techniques, or performance characteristics, which could influence the latest version of the Combat Nato 62 ski.

archeandirtbagger
Ski style: sloppy
Favorite Skis: Fischer Transnordic 65, Excursion 88
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaskas

Post by archeandirtbagger » Sat Oct 19, 2024 4:59 pm

I think the Nato 62 has slightly more rocker than the old NATO, I got a pair of the old NATO ones at the end of last season. Looking forward to trying them out with the rottefella Xplor bindings.