Leather 3-pin for SB112?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Lhartley

Re: Leather 3-pin for SB112?

Post by Lhartley » Sat Oct 19, 2024 1:29 pm

Oh interesting, I actually was unaware of the 201. Thanks

Personally, I like this setup for stopping in at my local nordic centers on midweek evenings without knowing what to expect. If I end up stepping out onto slopes they're generally low angle and decent snow. If I don't step out then I am just fine with a walk around in the leathers for exercise. If I took the same setup with plastics it would be overkill, imo

JB TELE

Post by JB TELE » Sat Oct 19, 2024 4:46 pm

stilltryin wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2024 1:46 am
Thanks for the comments.
I have not been keeping up with the leather 3-pin offerings. It looks like the Crispi Svartisen and Bre would also hit the mark for driving a SB 112 class. I recall reading here something about Lundhags, too -- I guess I should research those all a bit -- it would be good to know how the leathers might compare in weight to my T3's.
The appearance of the Bre is deceiving. It has a very flexible sole and the uppers are also very soft. It's more of a running shoe than a hiking boot in the context of BCXC footwear. It looks like an updated version of the Antarctic but it's a completely different class of boot. The Antarctic is much stiffer in the uppers and sole. I would use the Bre for skiing through very gentle terrain, not the terrain where you need to be linking turns. Definitely not with a wide XCD ski. I've skied both the Bre and Antarctic.

Unless I somehow received an alternative or prototype version of the Bre from telemark down. My experience doesen't seem to line up with other posts on her.

stilltryin
Ski style: Wandering the untracked (by humans)
Favorite Skis: Voile V6 BC; Karhu XCD/GT
Favorite boots: Scarpa T3; Alpina Alaska NNN-BC

Post by stilltryin » Sat Oct 19, 2024 6:14 pm

Thanks for all the input on this.
The Voile pitch for their 201 binding did remind me that their 3-pin cable binding (which I have on the SB112 and works great with the T3's) does NOT work so well with the narrower-ducked Alaska. And I hear Tom's point about why go leather if the leather boot that fits the binding and drives the ski is as stiff and heavy as the T3. You all may be harshing my GAS on this.
Well, I could switch my GAS to a SB98 w/201 binding (or, if I recall, the ST cable works with the narrower duckbill). See what happens when I deflate the raft, put the kayaks back on the ceiling, and there isn't enough snow yet!

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Sat Oct 19, 2024 6:57 pm

The Rotte ST not only works with the thin duckbill on the Alaska 75. The hardwire on the Rotte ST offers more lateral support than the 3 pin cable.
The Rotte cable is not as quick on and off as the 3-pin cable. I mounted my Rotte cable on a Voile 10 mm riser, allowing the heel throw to latch onto the heel piece for easy transitions.

JB TELE

Post by JB TELE » Sat Oct 19, 2024 7:20 pm

stilltryin wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2024 6:14 pm
The Voile pitch for their 201 binding did remind me that their 3-pin cable binding (which I have on the SB112 and works great with the T3's) does NOT work so well with the narrower-ducked Alaska.
If you ask Voile I bet they could put together the parts for a 3-pin cable binding with the 201 toe piece. They have all of their bindings parted out and you can order individual parts if you ask.
stilltryin wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2024 6:14 pm
And I hear Tom's point about why go leather if the leather boot that fits the binding and drives the ski is as stiff and heavy as the T3. You all may be harshing my GAS on this.
Some people can go all day or multiple days in plastic boots with no issues. Some people, even with heat molded and professionally fitted boots, just have a hard time staying comfortable and pain-free in plastic boots.

You do not need an ultra stiff boot to drive an s-bound 112 if you use it in it's intended purpose - backcountry nordic skiing in powder. Switch to a skinner ski when the powder firms up. These wide bc nordic skis are terrible on consolidated snow and using a t3 or t4 to compensate for that is not an ideal solution.

stilltryin
Ski style: Wandering the untracked (by humans)
Favorite Skis: Voile V6 BC; Karhu XCD/GT
Favorite boots: Scarpa T3; Alpina Alaska NNN-BC

Post by stilltryin » Sat Oct 19, 2024 7:34 pm

fisheater wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2024 6:57 pm
... I mounted my Rotte cable on a Voile 10 mm riser, allowing the heel throw to latch onto the heel piece for easy transitions.
I see that Rotte makes a 10mm riser for their ST; any reason you went with Voile? Any reason not to go with the Rotte riser?

Edited to add link to the Rotte 10mm ST riser:
https://www.telemark-pyrenees.com/rotte ... d_source=1
Last edited by stilltryin on Sun Oct 20, 2024 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tom M
Ski style: Skate on Groomed, XCD Off, Backcountry Tele
Favorite Skis: Fischer S-Bound 98 Off Trail, Voile V6 BC for Tele
Favorite boots: Currently skiing Alfa Vista, Alfa Free, Scarpa T2
Website: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCam0VG ... shelf_id=1

Post by Tom M » Sat Oct 19, 2024 10:27 pm

Tom M wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2024 11:45 am
As of Oct 2024, the only 3 pin leathers available from REI or Backcountry.com is the Alpina Alaska 75
I missed one 75 mm boot when I searched backcountry.com this morning, the Fischer Transnordic
https://www.backcountry.com/fischer-bcx ... -boot-2022
They have a few sizes left. Fischer was also producing this boot in an Xplore version.

I have not seen or skied this boot, but I'm betting it has similar performance characteristics to the Fischer BCX 675 which was their previous generation of this class of boot, and that boot would work just fine with the SB112 for XCD skiing. I skied several generations of Fischer's heavy duty 75 mm boots over the years after my Merrell's bit the dust, and they tend to be pretty comfortable out of the box.

Lhartley

Post by Lhartley » Sat Oct 19, 2024 11:08 pm

fisheater wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2024 6:57 pm
The Rotte ST not only works with the thin duckbill on the Alaska 75. The hardwire on the Rotte ST offers more lateral support than the 3 pin cable.
The Rotte cable is not as quick on and off as the 3-pin cable. I mounted my Rotte cable on a Voile 10 mm riser, allowing the heel throw to latch onto the heel piece for easy transitions.
Cab you not put a hardwire on the 201?!

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Sat Oct 19, 2024 11:27 pm

You can’t put the Voile Hardwire on a Voile 3-pin cable toe.

The Rotte hardwire is completely different. In my opinion you can’t get better support for a leather boot than the Rotte cable.

Lhartley

Post by Lhartley » Sat Oct 19, 2024 11:34 pm

Ahhh right I do remember that video of Tom M hammering his hardwires flat to fit his cable toe pieces or something, they should all be modular