Which Fischer ski for BCXC/XCD on firm/icy snow conditions?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
DG99

Re: Which Fischer ski for BCXC/XCD on firm/icy snow conditions?

Post by DG99 » Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:55 am

JB TELE wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:14 pm
lilcliffy wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:31 am
JB TELE wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:59 pm
Looking at asnes, they have skis with decent sidecut like my sbound 98 but in a skinner package. Maybe the nansen?
The Nansen has less camber and smoother, rounder flex than the other Asnes "Fjellskis" (e.g. Sverdrup/Ingstad/Combat Nato)- it is Asnes' traditional xcD or "telemark" touring ski. The Nansen is still quite stiff and stable and holds a fantastic edge on icy/hardpack snow. There is no equivalent to this ski in either the Fischer or Madshus Nordic ski lines.

Can't remember- Do you want/need a "waxless" scaled base?
You sold me. Just ordered one from neptune. I went one size (5cm) down for less camber and better downhill control.

I went with waxless. But of course I want full length skins as well for ascending refrozen corn. Any recommendations? I see a few options for skinny full length skins but can't really find reviews. Want something durable and I've heard that these high % mohair don't last as long?
These showed up on my search.

https://skimo.co/contour-cross-country- ... I8QAvD_BwE

https://www.skatepro.com/en-us/269-41572.htm
Yes, nylon is fine and more durable. Some of those Åsnes kicker short skins (x skins) might be nice too. Could be enough grip depending. I’d want to be able to use those special Xskin attachments :D

Or if you have some extra old skins could cut them up for “skinny skins” where you need grip plus some glide, same as with the kicker skins. That would be only maybe 30 mm wide on the Nansens, something I’ve done before, it works…. Cut the tail rounded, it sticks better. This was on Vector BCs for a long uphill slick trail, just a bit of extra grip so I didn’t have to fight to keep the scales sticking.
D36729A9-FBEA-43B0-8FCC-C5701A9DF728.jpeg

So you’ll have Voile Hypervectors, Fischer S98, and Åsnes, will have to let us know how it goes. It may be that the Voile is best on icy snow if your boots are up to it (if you had T2s!!) but should be interesting contrast.

wabene
Ski style: Stiff kneed and wide eyed.
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Gamme, Fischer SB98, Mashus M50, M78, Pano M62
Favorite boots: Crispi Svartsen 75mm, Scarpa T4

Post by wabene » Thu Nov 30, 2023 9:56 am

JB TELE wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:14 pm
lilcliffy wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:31 am
JB TELE wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:59 pm
Looking at asnes, they have skis with decent sidecut like my sbound 98 but in a skinner package. Maybe the nansen?
The Nansen has less camber and smoother, rounder flex than the other Asnes "Fjellskis" (e.g. Sverdrup/Ingstad/Combat Nato)- it is Asnes' traditional xcD or "telemark" touring ski. The Nansen is still quite stiff and stable and holds a fantastic edge on icy/hardpack snow. There is no equivalent to this ski in either the Fischer or Madshus Nordic ski lines.

Can't remember- Do you want/need a "waxless" scaled base?
You sold me. Just ordered one from neptune. I went one size (5cm) down for less camber and better downhill control.

I went with waxless. But of course I want full length skins as well for ascending refrozen corn. Any recommendations? I see a few options for skinny full length skins but can't really find reviews. Want something durable and I've heard that these high % mohair don't last as long?
These showed up on my search.

https://skimo.co/contour-cross-country- ... I8QAvD_BwE

https://www.skatepro.com/en-us/269-41572.htm
Hey JB, did you ever get those Nansen's out in firm conditions?

Lhartley

Post by Lhartley » Tue Dec 05, 2023 11:54 am

spopepro wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:49 pm
The spider is *soft*. Like maybe not even 1.5 camber. It ends up being very stable across a wide variety of conditions, and slow on all of them. The transnordic skis are much more traditional xc skis. The two can only barely just be compared. My wife at 155lbs and a relative novice got fed up with how slow the spider was for her in 189. She now skis the transnordic 59 in 195 and is happier.
I'm a bit confused/interested in the point of this ski. As a fairly novice to intermediate nordic skier I'm working on exercises like featured in this video

It seems like the spider would be a great ski for these activities with it being very soft and easy to push off and activate the grip pocket. What I already have is an mr48 that is too short for me and I'm overweight for it. Im wondering if this ski would behave similar to the spider if I ski it short. I've been looking for a reason to keep these skis and make them useful, for now while I'm too heavy anyways.