Xplore & the advantages of stiff stole for XC

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
GrimSurfer
Ski style: Nordic Backcountry
Favorite Skis: Yes
Favorite boots: Uh huh

Re: Xplore & the advantages of stiff stole for XC

Post by GrimSurfer » Tue Jan 17, 2023 4:10 pm

mca80 wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 2:27 pm
GrimSurfer wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:30 pm
In general, however, advances in materials and design have delivered consistently better performance in just about every technical field.
True, but at what cost?
Well if we’re talking about bindings, an NN and NNN BC Magnum binding costs about the same. Boots? About the same. So there is no reason not to make THAT change.

Xplore is more. I expect the price to go down a bit.

Compared to what I see folks shelling out here for different cables, variations on NN etc., the price delta between NN and Xplore is negligible.

Much of the resistance has nothing to do with price. A lot of it comes down to what @Johnny was talking about: a form of nihilism. That’s OK… we all ski with whatever we like. The problems occur when people argue that the newer style bindings don’t work better. They do.

It’s called progress.
We dreamed of riding waves of air, water, snow, and energy for centuries. When the conditions were right, the things we needed to achieve this came into being. Every idea man has ever had up to that point about time and space were changed. And it keeps on changing whenever we dream. Bio mechanical jazz, man.

GrimSurfer

Post by GrimSurfer » Tue Jan 17, 2023 4:12 pm

lowangle al wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 3:06 pm
mca80 wrote:
Question is, does a cable transmit force?
I think that was concluded in another thread. The cable creates the force, the bof transmits it to the ski and the ski edge transmits it to the snow. I think that's all you need to know about it.
LOL.

I might buy a few hundred of those cables and link them together to turn a generator (since they “create” force). Free energy… forever.
We dreamed of riding waves of air, water, snow, and energy for centuries. When the conditions were right, the things we needed to achieve this came into being. Every idea man has ever had up to that point about time and space were changed. And it keeps on changing whenever we dream. Bio mechanical jazz, man.

mca80
Ski style: Over the river and through the woods
Favorite Skis: Nansen, Finnmark, Kongsvold, Combat NATO, Fischer Superlite, RCS
Favorite boots: Crispi Bre, Hook, Alpina 1600, Alico Ski March, Crispi Mountain

Post by mca80 » Tue Jan 17, 2023 4:17 pm

GrimSurfer wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 4:10 pm
mca80 wrote:
GrimSurfer wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:30 pm
In general, however, advances in materials and design have delivered consistently better performance in just about every technical field.
True, but at what cost?
Well if we’re talking about bindings, an NN and NNN BC Magnum binding costs about the same. Boots? About the same. So there is no reason not to make THAT change.

Xplore is more. I expect the price to go down a bit.

Compared to what I see folks shelling out here for different cables, variations on NN etc., the price delta between NN and Xplore is negligible.

Much of the resistance has nothing to do with price. A lot of it comes down to what @Johnny was talking about: a form of nihilism. That’s OK… we all ski with whatever we like. The problems occur when people argue that the newer style bindings don’t work better. They do.

It’s called progress.
You ocompletely missed the point.

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Tue Jan 17, 2023 4:25 pm

GrimSurfer wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 4:12 pm
lowangle al wrote:
mca80 wrote:
I think that was concluded in another thread. The cable creates the force, the bof transmits it to the ski and the ski edge transmits it to the snow. I think that's all you need to know about it.
LOL.

I might buy a few hundred of those cables and link them together to turn a generator (since they “create” force). Free energy… forever.
With that and a few solar panels the electric company will probably owe you money.

TheMusher
Ski style: Telemark / BC / Nordic sled

Post by TheMusher » Tue Jan 17, 2023 4:27 pm

GrimSurfer wrote:
The problems occur when people argue that the newer style bindings don’t work better. They do.

It’s called progress.
Think the reality is a little bit more complex than just “better” or “worse”.

There are conditions and endeavors where 75mm with cable is better suited than nnn-bc, etc.

That’s why were having this thread - and forum - to understand the variations and conditions-equipment-fit.

When you are out skiing 5 times a week, 5 months a year, you want to have equipment that is suited for the variety of conditions. The same may be true if you just have a few specific weekends per year to indulge.

Not denying that Xplore likely has a larger sweet spot than older bindings, though.

Personally, I’m trying to understand whether Xplore can replace my nnn-bc bindings also for XC adventures.

The preliminary answer seems to be “yes maybe”, but I’m not still convinced it’s the best for, say, traversing Finnmarksvidda or Svalbard. I say this with both performance and reliability in mind.

Would it suffice? Sounds like it. Which is really cool!
Last edited by TheMusher on Tue Jan 17, 2023 4:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

GrimSurfer

Post by GrimSurfer » Tue Jan 17, 2023 4:51 pm

TheMusher wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 4:27 pm
GrimSurfer wrote:
The problems occur when people argue that the newer style bindings don’t work better. They do.

It’s called progress.
Think the reality is a little bit more complex than just “better” or “worse”.

There are conditions and endeavors where 75mm with cable is better suited than nnn-bc, etc.

That’s why were having this thread - and forum - to understand the variations and conditions-equipment-fit.

When you are out skiing 5 times a week, 5 months a year, you want to have equipment that is suited for the variety of conditions. The same is may be true if you just have a few specific weekend per year to indulge.

Not denying that Xplore likely has a larger sweet spot than older bindings, though.
I’m out 4x a week for 3 months a year (this year anyway, due to crappy conditions). Just came back from a 10k sesh in fact.

I get where you’re coming from wrt selecting equipment for conditions though. It makes sense in certain cases, but these are very narrow and specific.

The never ending debate over cable “x” vs cable “y” makes no sense. Neither does the bumper “x” vs bumper “y”. We’re starting to see the same thing in the flexor debate… though some extreme cases (very small proportion of truly expert skiers) may exist.

It seems to me to be the same as any other equipment sport… fettishists come out of the woodwork thinking that gear will trump ability.

TheMusher
Ski style: Telemark / BC / Nordic sled

Post by TheMusher » Tue Jan 17, 2023 4:53 pm

No doubt, GAS is real..

But if Xplore can fully replace nnn-bc, there is one less G (x N number boots x M number of skis) to stack up.

So to me, it’s one of modern life’s big questions.
Last edited by TheMusher on Tue Jan 17, 2023 4:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mca80
Ski style: Over the river and through the woods
Favorite Skis: Nansen, Finnmark, Kongsvold, Combat NATO, Fischer Superlite, RCS
Favorite boots: Crispi Bre, Hook, Alpina 1600, Alico Ski March, Crispi Mountain

Post by mca80 » Tue Jan 17, 2023 4:57 pm

GrimSurfer wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 4:51 pm
Just came back from a 10k sesh in fact.

It seems to me to be the same as any other equipment sport… fettishists come out of the woodwork thinking that gear will trump ability.
Given you made like 4 posts in 45 min about 30 min ago you must have done that 10k quick! Maybe I can get gear that enables me to go that fast

Re point two, there are some, even lots, who want to learn technique on simple old school gear.

GrimSurfer

Post by GrimSurfer » Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:01 pm

Ok. I lied. It was 9.54k. The 1:21 was actually 1:15 though because I activate my programme when I get to the trailhead (takes a few minutes to clip in, sort myself out).

The trail is minutes from my house.

And yeah, look at the heart rate. I hustle. Not a sight seeing/photo op. I’m out there to lay some tracks down.
D551FDA6-B73D-4BD6-B9B9-14C7300D8152.jpeg
Last edited by GrimSurfer on Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:05 pm

mca80 wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 3:19 pm
lowangle al wrote:
mca80 wrote:
I was just being a smartass, sorry.
I would like to apologize also. I too was being a smart ass.