Xplore & the advantages of stiff stole for XC

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
fledersau
Ski style: BC XC/D ex. Telemark 75mm, Snowboardcross and Alpine Skier
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad Waxless 195cm, Asnes Rabb 188cm, Madshus Panorama M62
Favorite boots: Rossignol XP12 and BC X7

Re: Xplore & the advantages of stiff stole for XC

Post by fledersau » Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:08 pm

I allow myself to give my 2cents on this topic.
I'm just back from a 4 day trip on my XPlore setup (Rossignol XP12 boot on Ingstads) and while in generally i prefer XPlore for my tipe of sking compared to what i had last winter (NNN BC Rossignol X7 on Madshus Panoramas M62), i thought to myself quite often during this tour that the NNN BC setup was a little more comfortable to walk. i had the impression to roll my foot a little more which resulted in a more natural walking movement. I think aswell the point where you crush the ski when you have to is a little bit different.
But already after 6 full days of use, i feel that the sole of the boot is starting to give a really nice pivot point when walking and i think, after a few more days, it will be quite close to my soft NNN BC setup i had before (kick and glide wise) while being extremely better on the downhills.

GrimSurfer
Ski style: Nordic Backcountry
Favorite Skis: Yes
Favorite boots: Uh huh

Post by GrimSurfer » Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:10 pm

mca80 wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 4:57 pm
Re point two, there are some, even lots, who want to learn technique on simple old school gear.
Like the newest Asnes ski? LOL

I’m being a smart ass here, but I couldn’t count the number of rat traps mounted to the newest cutting edge skis if I tried. So I’m not sure how far the “roots” analogy carries.
We dreamed of riding waves of air, water, snow, and energy for centuries. When the conditions were right, the things we needed to achieve this came into being. Every idea man has ever had up to that point about time and space were changed. And it keeps on changing whenever we dream. Bio mechanical jazz, man.

mca80
Ski style: Over the river and through the woods
Favorite Skis: Nansen, Finnmark, Kongsvold, Combat NATO, Fischer Superlite, RCS
Favorite boots: Crispi Bre, Hook, Alpina 1600, Alico Ski March, Crispi Mountain

Post by mca80 » Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:11 pm

lowangle al wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:05 pm
mca80 wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 3:19 pm
lowangle al wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 3:06 pm

I think that was concluded in another thread. The cable creates the force, the bof transmits it to the ski and the ski edge transmits it to the snow. I think that's all you need to know about it.
I was just being a smartass, sorry.
I would like to apologize also. I too was being a smart ass.
Smart-assery on the internet is sometimes hard to get, especially for those as dense as I.

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:12 pm

GrimSurfer wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:01 pm
Ok. I lied. It was 9.54k. The 1:21 was actually 1:15 though because I activate my programme when I get to the trailhead (takes a few minutes to clip in, sort myself out).

The trail is minutes from my house.

And yeah, look at the heart rate. I hustle. Not a sight seeing/photo op. I’m out there to lay some tracks down.
That was a good workout, but why didn't you stick around and practice some turns when you were done?

GrimSurfer
Ski style: Nordic Backcountry
Favorite Skis: Yes
Favorite boots: Uh huh

Post by GrimSurfer » Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:14 pm

lowangle al wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:12 pm
GrimSurfer wrote:
Ok. I lied. It was 9.54k. The 1:21 was actually 1:15 though because I activate my programme when I get to the trailhead (takes a few minutes to clip in, sort myself out).

And yeah, look at the heart rate. I hustle. Not a sight seeing/photo op. I’m out there to lay some tracks down.
That was a good workout, but why didn't you stick around and practice some turns when you were done?
Bald hills. Freezing rain. This season sucks.
We dreamed of riding waves of air, water, snow, and energy for centuries. When the conditions were right, the things we needed to achieve this came into being. Every idea man has ever had up to that point about time and space were changed. And it keeps on changing whenever we dream. Bio mechanical jazz, man.

mca80

Post by mca80 » Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:14 pm

GrimSurfer wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:10 pm
mca80 wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 4:57 pm
Re point two, there are some, even lots, who want to learn technique on simple old school gear.
Like the newest Asnes ski? LOL

I’m being a smart ass here, but I couldn’t count the number of rat traps mounted to the newest cutting edge skis if I tried. So I’m not sure how far the “roots” analogy carries.
Learning on nnnbc leathers and Nansens is at least a bit more traditional than plastic buckles on vectors.

lowangle al
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:15 pm

mca80 wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:11 pm
lowangle al wrote:
mca80 wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 3:19 pm

I was just being a smartass, sorry.
Smart-assery on the internet is sometimes hard to get, especially for those as dense as I.
I'll use an emoji next time. ;)

lowangle al

Post by lowangle al » Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:16 pm

GrimSurfer wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:14 pm
lowangle al wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:12 pm
GrimSurfer wrote:

Bald hills. Freezing rain. This season sucks.
I'll buy that.

mca80

Post by mca80 » Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:17 pm

lowangle al wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:15 pm
mca80 wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:11 pm
lowangle al wrote:

I'll use an emoji next time. ;)
I don't understand those either!

TheMusher
Ski style: Telemark / BC / Nordic sled

Post by TheMusher » Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:17 pm

fledersau wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:08 pm
I allow myself to give my 2cents on this topic.
I'm just back from a 4 day trip on my XPlore setup (Rossignol XP12 boot on Ingstads) and while in generally i prefer XPlore for my tipe of sking compared to what i had last winter (NNN BC Rossignol X7 on Madshus Panoramas M62), i thought to myself quite often during this tour that the NNN BC setup was a little more comfortable to walk. i had the impression to roll my foot a little more which resulted in a more natural walking movement. I think aswell the point where you crush the ski when you have to is a little bit different.
But already after 6 full days of use, i feel that the sole of the boot is starting to give a really nice pivot point when walking and i think, after a few more days, it will be quite close to my soft NNN BC setup i had before (kick and glide wise) while being extremely better on the downhills.
Good input man! What sort of skiing do you do? In broad terms?

And by walking, I suppose you mean with skis on?

This jibes pretty well with what Lilcliffy has said about breaking in the shoes. And conversely, that nnn-bc tends to become very sloppy over time when they are just perfect out of the box (has happened to my Crispi Stetinds).

Cool to hear that not only Alpina but also Rossignol seemed to nail the bellow breaking point. Gonna be interesting to start getting reports on the other brands with respect to this (Fischer, Madshus, and for me personally especially Lundhags)